Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I come from the North originally but live in the Dublin registration area. I have a car with a C reg. Although I am not from Cork, hopefully people can see that I am not a Dub.

The Irish registration system seems quite poor to me. I can't see the benefit in having everyone know the year of your car. If someone wants to buy it, the only reason why a non official person would want to know the year, they can look at the tax book. Also, when you are trying to remember a car involved in a crime and there is a year, county and then a 6 digit number it is too much information.

I prefer the UK system where you can have a plate that has no useable information except to the police, tax authorities etc.

Nah, works quite well, takes a while but you can check a partial reg on pulse. That in combination with the Color, make and model of the car can get you an identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You are presuming all drivers know the make and model of each car. How does pulse deal with a red 4x4,00D?

everyone knows that details are better remembered broken down into groups of 3 or 4. That is why phone numbers are given as 3 numbers then 4 in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You are presuming all drivers know the make and model of each car. How does pulse deal with a red 4x4,00D?

everyone knows that details are better remembered broken down into groups of 3 or 4. That is why phone numbers are given as 3 numbers then 4 in Dublin.

Just as well as it would with a N Reg Green Saloon
    Completely disagree man, its whatever your used to.

NNS 424Y

00-D-9395

Just has hard to remember either.

If you saw a German number plate you'd find it difficult remember sheerly because you werent used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I come from the North originally but live in the Dublin registration area. I have a car with a C reg. Although I am not from Cork, hopefully people can see that I am not a Dub.

So snobbery is alive and well....:rolleyes:

That's the old UK system. And we all know that there are very few Dublin cars with fewer than five numbers. And you have used repeating numbers to make it easier to remember.

What is easier to remember: 00-D-104296 or LA56 GPK? The numberplate is divided into three sections of no more than three characters to make it easier to remember. The character lengths are always the same. LLNN LLL. Here it is NN, L or LL and then anything up to six numbers.

As for snobbery being alive and well? Bloody right. You will find most people from outside Dublin who live here for work would hate to be confused with Dubs. I've known people who have moved home on having kids in case their kids develop the accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I prefer the UK system where you can have a plate that has no useable information except to the police, tax authorities etc.
    What is easier to remember: 00-D-104296 or LA56 GPK?

Eh?

Uk plates start with a two letter area code, followed by two numbers, followed by three letters. The first part of the two letter area code indicates a region, the second letter an issuing office, and the two numbers are for the year.....

http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/newsystem.html

LA = London, Wimbledon
    56 = registered between September and February 06

Seems pretty useable to me. I don't see the major difference between UK and IRL in that regard.

Firstly the Irish system does not have constants. The county can be one or two letters. The number can be between 1 and six digits. The GB system goes 2,2,3 which, I am arguing, is easier to remember. If someone leaves out a digit in the Irish system, it is not immediately apparent.

Secondly, if you think of any Dublin phone number you know, you will know it as xxx xxxx. Remembering a string of 6 or even 5 numbers is much more difficult than if it is broken down into smaller subsets.

Finally, 56 does not mean that a car registered in GB is from 2006. It means that it is no later than 2006. I could register a 2008 car on a 2006 plate or even a 1984 plate. And before you say that this creates an ambiguity about the car's age; what person, who can't get legitimate access to it, needs to know the car's age?

You are all arguing in favour of the Irish system as it is what you know but if you think about it rationally, it is a poor system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

And we all know that there are very few Dublin cars with fewer than five numbers.

I'd say theres about 9999 of them a year :D

As for snobbery being alive and well? Bloody right. You will find most people from outside Dublin who live here for work would hate to be confused with Dubs. I've known people who have moved home on having kids in case their kids develop the accent.

Wow... an accent. African, English, Cork, Dublin. What the hell does it matter? Reg plate, Dublin, Cork, Roscommon.... I don't know. Talk about childishness. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

cantdecide wrote: »
    You've said this so many times the words have lost all meaning:rolleyes:So hard for you to not have an opinion about projecting an image when all you ever do here is boast...

Give it a rest. This isn't the MarkN worshipping club

Shut up. :rolleyes:

So I guess it's a 50/50 balance between people not giving a flying fook what plate is on the car and the other half who do.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    So I guess it's a 50/50 balance between people not giving a flying fook what plate is on the car and the other half who do.

Yeah, one 50% of the people are people that have nothing else to worry about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Hear Hear !!!

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, one 50% of the people are people that have nothing else to worry about ;)

Yup, those with a 'D' reg won't loose any sleep over the increase in their cars value at trade in time... (-:

MarkN wrote: »
    Well a friend of mine who SELLS BMWs in the dealer you name says differently. Doesn't bother me in the slightest whether you think I am sad either. Unlike a lot of people, I actually buy the type of cars we are talking about in this thread that matter what plate is on the car, so I am speaking from experience.

Thought we were talking about Reg plates, not cars. I know BMW's aren't as good as alot of people think they are, and anyway, an M3 in Ireland is only showing off. If I was buying a BMW it would be Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

TJJP wrote: »
    Yup, those with a 'D' reg won't loose any sleep over the increase in their cars value at trade in time... (-:

You expect peope to lose sleep over getting a poxy few quid lower than someone else for the privilege of some artificial pretentious stunt over where the car was originally registered?

I have never even heeard of this D reg sh*te before so it's probably completely academic the further from Dublin you go.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just like I wouldn't drive a D reg car because I wouldn't want to be finding heroine dealers and single mothers wearing Sundays best Adiddas knocking on the window of my car all the time thinking I was one of their ilk. I know its a generalisation but its true. :rolleyes:

Dublin isn't any worse than any other City / County. Are you saying all Dubs are Heroine dealing single mothers. Get a Grip Pal. Drugs are country wide and single mothers are just as plentiful in the sticks.

<snip> a poxy few quid lower <snip>
    I have never even heeard of this D reg sh*te before so it's probably completely academic the further from Dublin you go.

Eh, no, I think if you read the thread I'm in the €10k difference bracket. That's not 'poxy' in my money.

Quick, non-scientific example:

1 - CN reg S 320 Cdi , 43k miles, €90k
    2 - D reg S 320 Cdi , 63k miles, €87k
    3 - LH reg E 220 CDI, 40k miles, €53k
    4 - D reg E 220 CDI, 43k miles, €62.5k

If it makes no difference to many of you that's fine. No problems there. However, the reality of the market is, that at trade in time for these types of motors, it may make a significant difference.

In that respect, reg-plate snobbery is alive and well.

source:

1 - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=853319
    2 - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=733354
    3 - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=887573
    4 - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=667490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Dublin isn't any worse than any other City / County. Are you saying all Dubs are Heroine dealing single mothers. Get a Grip Pal. Drugs are country wide and single mothers are just as plentiful in the sticks.

He's right ,
    I just finished a diploma in addiction studies and I learned that there's actualy more drug use in kerry and cork than there is in dublin and limerick .

I think his last sentence "I know it's a generalisation but it's true" should give a clue as to the seriousness of the post.

It's one of the best sentences I have read on here for a long time. Gave me a laugh two or three times reading it.

so it's probably completely academic the further from Dublin you go.

Wrong, see my previous post, it was the non-Dublin dealers that are interested in the D reg's.

• Advertisement

TJJP wrote: »

Bud- the first is elegance the second is Avantgarde;) You may notice one was added the other day and the other hasn't been updated in a long time. ie- it hasn't sold.

BTW, ever hear of 'Dublin prices'?

If there is a big con going on in the motor trade where Dubliners want their local reg and are prepared to pay for it that's their own fetish.

lightening wrote: »
    Wrong, see my previous post, it was the non-Dublin dealers that are interested in the D reg's.

I'm almost certain this does not exist in Cork I can tell you.

If a traded-in car with a D-reg can be somehow sold back to Dublin at a greater profit it's a big secret to joe soap. However, Dublin cars are not in demand by Cork people for any reason and if the dealers are profiting somehow- they're keeping it under their hat so there is no incentive for the consumer down here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I approached this differently- my previous car was D regged (I live in Dublin) but anytime I parked down the country (I travel for work a bit) I often found it keyed when I came back to it. When I was registering my current car- I put a Galway reg on it instead (as my parents live there) and am very proud of the fact that its not a D reg- esp. when using it for work purposes.

TJJP, do I take it that because you have moved onto another subject that you agree with my position on the Irish numberplate system?

smccarrick wrote: »
    but anytime I parked down the country (I travel for work a bit) I often found it keyed when I came back to it.

That happened to me in Galway. Couln't believe it, I like to think it wasn't some sort of imature tribal anti D reg thing. That doesn't happen to country reg's in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I think his last sentence "I know it's a generalisation but it's true" should give a clue as to the seriousness of the post.

It's one of the best sentences I have read on here for a long time. Gave me a laugh two or three times reading it.

Thank you Terrontress, I've been waiting for someone to either cop on to that or read the post I was respondong to. My tongue was firmly in my cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'm almost certain this does not exist in Cork I can tell you.

If a traded-in car with a D-reg can be somehow sold back to Dublin at a greater profit it's a big secret to joe soap. However, Dublin cars are not in demand by Cork people for any reason and if the dealers are profiting somehow- they're keeping it under their hat so there is no incentive for the consumer down here.

I would imagine that C regs are worth more here than those without a C reg, but I don't know for sure.

E92 wrote: »
    I would imagine that C regs are worth more here than those without a C reg, but I don't know for sure.

If anything- I'd suspect the same.

If anything- I'd suspect the same.

Wow... that's amazing. Doesn't say a lot for Cork people to be honest, the fact they would actually pay more for a letter on their reg plate!

Comon, Cork people stand up for yourselves! This can't be true?

• Advertisement

TJJP, do I take it that because you have moved onto another subject that you agree with my position on the Irish numberplate system?

No.

Firstly, I was ignoring you on the basis of suspected trolling and in the interest of avoidance of flaming.

Secondly I though you started sounding like Carol Vorderman, so I fell asleep.

Thirdly, I was, in my latter posts, moving back to the topic of the thread.

In any event I think my point was quite clear. I don't see the difference, and I don't think I have to agree with your point of view.

@ E92 and cantdecide, I’d agree on the ‘C’ plate theory as an extension of the ‘D’ plate.

I presume this might hold firm on most counties ‘own’ registration plates (WH in WH and KY in KY)?

However, if I continue to follow this logic, I wonder if there still remains a premium on ‘D’ reg nationally though, given the size of the Dublin market. Furthermore, notwithstanding the keying incident mentioned above, is a ‘D’ reg more excusable in most parts of the country as they are more common owing to prevalence of company cars for example (as opposed to a DL in KY?).

Advertisement