Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

cantdecide wrote: »
    Bud- the first is elegance the second is Avantgarde;)

I know what you mean, but it was a 'quick, non-scientific example'. There is still a fair difference based on spec level alone. There must be something going on. It may be a combination of factors but d reg seems to add to it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I think his last sentence "I know it's a generalisation but it's true" should give a clue as to the seriousness of the post.

It's one of the best sentences I have read on here for a long time. Gave me a laugh two or three times reading it.

May be so, he then says its true, which it clearly is not !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Higher insurance premiums, sitting on the m50 for hours at a time, paying more for the same car with a different letter on the plate.

I'll just stick to the market and go with service history and the normal stuff etc. I don't think the D reg is going to change how people look after their cars.

All strikes me as a bit insane to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Why would any intelligent person not buy a car just because of where is was registered.

Surely there are more important factors when buying a secondhand car than the county it was first registered in.

For example:
    Overall condition of the car inside and out.
    Service history.
    Milage.
    Spec.
    Colour.

And most importantly price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lads some of you seriously need to get over the M50 - Dublin does have just a FEW more roads than it. We don't all finish work at 5 on a Friday, set up camp on the M50 until Sunday evening and head back to work on Monday after spending a relaxing weekend sunbathing at the toll bridge.

That's a bit like us Dubs saying you all shear sheep 7 days a week. :D
    craichoe wrote: »

All strikes me as a bit insane to be honest

The REAL insane bit is the fact that people are still trying to prove each other wrong about this.

Fact is, on certain cars, a D reg will be a factor in how much it is worth. There's plenty of evidence backing this up, deal with it, move on and can we start a new thread about something else!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

sounds like it would make sense to VRT cars in Dublin then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Craichoe. Nothing more to add about the Irish numbering system?

The "It may be a generalisation but it's true" reminds me of Dr Fox on Brass Eye "...and that's scientific fact. There's no evidence to prove it but it's SCIENTIFIC FACT" as he drives a nail through a crab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MarkN wrote: »
    If you are of the opinion I am about reg plates, you will get it. If you are not, they will both mean the same to you I suppose.

I suppose I'm not a car enthusiast so! :D

You said it, not me. There is a difference between an enthusiast and a poser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Why would any intelligent person not buy a car just because of where is was registered.

Surely there are more important factors when buying a secondhand car than the county it was first registered in.

For example:
    Overall condition of the car inside and out.
    Service history.
    Milage.
    Spec.
    Colour.

And most importantly price.

Exactly, you're a retard if you buy a car based solely on the reg!

I've only ever owned MO regged cars, with the exception of 1, and sold 3 of them to people who were from outside the county; Louth, Sligo and Galway - I told them there was an MO in the reg and what I heard in so many words was "I don't give a crap"

Regards the beamers, the MH reg in estoril blue is a far nicer colour than the D reg, why did bmw spray cars in any other colour?!?!

This all got a bit side-tracked anyway, what happened?!?

Craichoe. Nothing more to add about the Irish numbering system?

The "It may be a generalisation but it's true" reminds me of Dr Fox on Brass Eye "...and that's scientific fact. There's no evidence to prove it but it's SCIENTIFIC FACT" as he drives a nail through a crab.

Oh .. You mean the system we brought in on recommendation from the EU .. not really ..

Well i think its perfect for such a small country, no issue with duplication really. If we had a population of 20 or 40 million it might need revising.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    Lads some of you seriously need to get over the M50 - Dublin does have just a FEW more roads than it. We don't all finish work at 5 on a Friday, set up camp on the M50 until Sunday evening and head back to work on Monday after spending a relaxing weekend sunbathing at the toll bridge.

That's a bit like us Dubs saying you all shear sheep 7 days a week. :D

The REAL insane bit is the fact that people are still trying to prove each other wrong about this.

Fact is, on certain cars, a D reg will be a factor in how much it is worth. There's plenty of evidence backing this up, deal with it, move on and can we start a new thread about something else!!

You never asked where i was .. lol :)
    I lived in dublin at one stage, and the M50 would be the only one i'd mention because its the most used to GET OUT of Dublin
    The Roads in dublin are a bit mickey mouse anyway, 4 - 5 lanes would be a decent motorway here.

I never said the D reg thing wasnt true .. just i havent experienced it or let it influence my purchase.. I just bought what was good value .. the reg never came into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Biro wrote: »
    You said it, not me. There is a difference between an enthusiast and a poser.

Ah jaysus Biro he's not a poser ffs, saying thay just makes you appear jealous like any other Irish begrudger

I think all he was saying is that a factor in taking a D reg M3 over a LH reg m3 is the resale factor and he's dead right - it will be harder to sell on in Dublin, agree with that or not, and he has every right in thinking about that when he's spending that kind of money

I think this thread has reached it's natural conclusion, going way off topic

Reg plate snobbery does exist - it's silly but just a fact of life

+1

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ah jaysus Biro he's not a poser ffs, saying thay just makes you appear jealous like any other Irish begrudger

I think all he was saying is that a factor in taking a D reg M3 over a LH reg m3 is the resale factor and he's dead right - it will be harder to sell on in Dublin, agree with that or not, and he has every right in thinking about that when he's spending that kind of money

I'm not a typical Irish begrudger. I had massive respect for Mark for his choice in cars and I contributed to his discussion about which to choose, the A5 or the 335. Fair play to anyone who's bagged a good job and is making plenty of money so young.
    You'll note from my post that I didn't call him a poser. I rate the idea of judging a car's looks by the letters in the reg as an extension of a poser's attitude to looking at a car, as only a poser would be so concerned about the car's image as to consider the whereabouts of the plate a deciding factor in it's purchase, and that's magnified by the fact that the car in question was an M3. Knock 2 grand off the price of it from the dealer cause of the reg, then sell it for 2 grand less than the going rate and enjoy the in-between part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Simple fact is if a member of my immediate family was to walk onto a local forecourt in the morning, they'd be expecting to see L, LK and CE reg plates. These are the ones that get you above average courtesy in traffic in my experience as you are "local". My friend who drives a Golf wanted "a black one, it has to be black", it was just coincidental that it had a L reg because it was part of Frank Hogans fleet last year. If it had a TN reg it wouldn't have been the end of the world but if it had mor than 4 digits after the letter, it gives a certain air or "common as muckness" about the car. There are D reg cars everywhere. My uncle even has a 06 Mondeo with no hubcaps :D:D:D on the forecourt at the moment. My guess is that it'll have to be sold to trade at a discount as he said himself "I don't know what that fu<ker over there took that in for....he'll be forever trying to shif it and I'm short enough on space as it is":rolleyes:

A DK (Dublin County) DS (Dublin even postcodes), and D (Dublin odd postcodes) might help ease this "phone number phenomenon" where reg plates hit 80000 + in a year.

It might also help if the original owner had to verify an address with his or her PPS number.

Also, some people are mixing up the German ans Swiss systems. It is in Switzerland that the plate is the owner's and not the car's in Germany, it's different, not sure how much different but I'll ask one of the German lads I know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ninty9er wrote: »

A DK (Dublin County) DS (Dublin even postcodes), and D (Dublin odd postcodes) might help ease this "phone number phenomenon" where reg plates hit 80000 + in a year.

That would make it interesting seeing as all the odd postcodes are on the northside and even on the south. Just make it DN and DS altogether! I'm wondering how many of them would be registered as Dublin South, or if as was suggested that the Dublin registrations will eventually change to the different councils Fingal etc which will be the most popular for registrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Also, some people are mixing up the German ans Swiss systems. It is in Switzerland that the plate is the owner's and not the car's in Germany, it's different, not sure how much different but I'll ask one of the German lads I know

Germany has a hyrid system, the car keeps the same reg plate unless the car's owner is in a different Government district, in which case the car gets a new reg. A K reg can only be had if you are a resident of Cologne(K=Koeln). If you move to say Munich, then the car gets re-registered with an M reg(M=Muenchen). Otherwise the original reg stays with the car for it's entire life usually.

For more look at Wikipedia.

09 D4 1..... I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That would make it interesting seeing as all the odd postcodes are on the northside and even on the south.
    Almost correct! D8 spans the Liffey.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I've read the first four pages of this post and I have to say without doubt that it's the dumbest thing I've seen in 2008. I highly doubt that it will be eclipsed by anything else.

This is one for the books lads, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

esel wrote: »
    Almost correct! D8 spans the Liffey.
    Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

all of the phenoix ? park and the mount pellier hill area

sorry for bad spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for that, never realised it.
    Although it makes perfect sense when you read this from another forum. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

This wouldn't work as postcodes don't cover all of Dublin county. It would also create micro-snobbery within the county itself....

...Just as an example: A Blonde-in-a-bottle, dior-sunglasses-wearing, coffee-morning-hosting lady from D4 who works one afternoon a week in her sister-in-laws boutique in Dun Laoighre wouldn't be seen dead driving a D15 X5 or XC90. (That said, there is probably nothing more vulgar in their eyes than buying a pre-owned car!) :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Rory123 wrote: »
    This wouldn't work as postcodes don't cover all of Dublin county. It would also create micro-snobbery within the county itself....
    You see that's why there's a DK for county dublin. (i.e not covered by postcodes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

You see that's why there's a DK for county dublin. (i.e not covered by postcodes)
    point taken:)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Me dad buys a new E-class every year (same colour every year too the boredom...) anyway he always gets a D reg, handier for trade-in etc. as has been said above I did the same when it came to getting my first car got a D reg cause its just safer for a trade. Were proud country people too but its just practicality really, depends on the car too I suppose. It really matters to some people, for me a BMW or a Merc with a country reg looks daft it reeks of a 'country and proud' syndrome thats too old school for my liking anyway.

I've quoted this genius below as everyone else ignored it and you were prob right but i could nt let it go its a sick contrast your a prat i'd really enjoy punching the likes of you :D
    lightening wrote: »
    That's like me avoiding having a Cork reg car for fear of me being a child killer. Or women avoiding having kilkenny reg plates for fear of being daughter killers. Or Galway reg's for fear of being branded as a tourist rapist and tourist murderer.

Mods would you delete his and mine as ive quoted, there has been tamer sh** that this posted and mods have got excited about it. Its a really crude post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Rory123 wrote: »
    That said, there is probably nothing more vulgar in their eyes than buying a pre-owned car! :D:D:D

And you would have to agree with them - it is a most disagreeable thought. Like passing on your used toothbrush to someone else.

Nevertheless, it is incumbent upon the more charitable and enlightened of us to do something for the less fortunate in society. Every year, as I leave last years car behind in the garage, comfortable in the knowledge that they will find some deserving cause who can only afford it now that its half price, I do feel that I have done my bit for the little people.

Having said that, Ive never really understood what poor people need cars for anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Having said that, Ive never really understood what poor people need cars for anyway.[/quote]

A most valid research topic for any aspiring scholar.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

greatdeeds wrote: »
    Having said that, Ive never really understood what poor people need cars for anyway.

A most valid research topic for any aspiring scholar.....[/QUOTE]

And like many good research topics, the 'answer' can be known from the beginning but it's in understanding the reason for the answer that the real interest lies.

For the topic above, clearly anyone who cannot afford a new X5 or Cayenne cant really need a car at all.
    Yet they seem to buy them. And are proccupied with the drive to 'trade up a year' or 'move up a couple of years'.
    Strange.

Advertisement