Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...for me a BMW or a Merc with a country reg looks daft it reeks of a 'country and proud' syndrome thats too old school for my liking anyway...

WOW! That's all I'll say. The divide is now set.

We're rumbled- all of us non-Dubs are really jealous of the sophisticados up there in the big smoke, guhuh..

'Look at his nibs there with his D-reg doesn't he think he's smashing. Oi, George with these Roche you're really spoiling us'.

Living in non-Dublin and wanting more than a tractor. FFS. what's wrong with these peasants?

Dear me....

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

cantdecide wrote: »
    WOW! That's all I'll say. The divide is now set.

We're rumbled- all of us non-Dubs are really jealous of the sophisticados up there in the big smoke, guhuh..

'Look at his nibs there with his D-reg doesn't he think he's smashing. Oi, George with these Roche you're really spoiling us'.

Living in non-Dublin and wanting more than a tractor. FFS. what's wrong with these peasants?

Dear me....

Ha ha

sure theres nothing wrong with the old country reg for the farm.

'Never on the Merc but always on the Massey'..........thats what we say anyway :D

....always on the Massey.....

What's a massey?

What's a massey?

A tractor......

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/mf/uk/home.htm

Oh right!

Is there anything you brave Dubliners don't know??? I guess that's why you're all Dubs and we're not:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh right!

Is there anything you brave Dubliners don't know??? I guess that's why you're all Dubs and we're not:rolleyes:

I'm from the country sure ! did you read my post we get D reg s but are'nt from Dublin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

I just got my first car today, it was brought down from monaghan and only had one lady driver thats from monaghan. somehow its a d reg. shouldnt it be mn ?

on a side note my gf was glad its a d reg . she said she didnt know why but she just did.. I thought it was funny considering this thread and how reg plates dont make a difference at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ninty9er wrote: »
    Simple fact is if a member of my immediate family was to walk onto a local forecourt in the morning, they'd be expecting to see L, LK and CE reg plates. These are the ones that get you above average courtesy in traffic in my experience as you are "local".

When I go back to Limerick I've no problem with courtesy even though I've a C-reg. If someone is going to be courteous they'll be courteous no matter what your reg is.

Then again there is the possibility that my polished swissarmy reminds them that I'm "local" ;)
    My friend who drives a Golf wanted "a black one, it has to be black", it was just coincidental that it had a L reg because it was part of Frank Hogans fleet last year. If it had a TN reg it wouldn't have been the end of the world but if it had mor than 4 digits after the letter, it gives a certain air or "common as muckness" about the car.

Crikey he must be stuck with a lot of the LK regs which go high enough.

God be with the days of the HIV reg - no-one really cared they were just happy to have a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

parsi wrote: »
    God be with the days of the HIV reg - no-one really cared they were just happy to have a car.

You can sing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Biro wrote: »
    I'm not a typical Irish begrudger. I had massive respect for Mark for his choice in cars and I contributed to his discussion about which to choose, the A5 or the 335. Fair play to anyone who's bagged a good job and is making plenty of money so young.
    You'll note from my post that I didn't call him a poser. I rate the idea of judging a car's looks by the letters in the reg as an extension of a poser's attitude to looking at a car, as only a poser would be so concerned about the car's image as to consider the whereabouts of the plate a deciding factor in it's purchase, and that's magnified by the fact that the car in question was an M3. Knock 2 grand off the price of it from the dealer cause of the reg, then sell it for 2 grand less than the going rate and enjoy the in-between part.

OK cool, sorry - I misinterpreted your post

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    You can sing that!

I can see it being a hit in both genres. Country and Western. Coming soon to a lame TG4 talent competition near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's a massey?
    A tractor......
    Oh right!

......and we always make sure our Masseys are D registered! We couldn't be seen out and about in anything else. ;)

MasseyFerguson55079D1198.jpg

When I go back to Limerick I've no problem with courtesy even though I've a C-reg. If someone is going to be courteous they'll be courteous no matter what your reg is.

Try driving a D reg in Cork is dangerous.........

Cork people dont seem to like a D reg car - they dont even like them near them I've noticed this driving in and out of the city its mad they'll overtake regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Then again there is the possibility that my polished swissarmy reminds them that I'm "local" ;)

Crikey he must be stuck with a lot of the LK regs which go high enough.

I thought FTI was the Limerick reg??? I was born at the end of that era though! My grandad had a White 305 van with the FTI reg, my aunt was driving it up to about 7 or 8 years ago. Didn't even have wing mirrors:L:L

There's a glut of fleet Golfs and Polos on Frankies forecourt...anything from 1818 to 1865 (from what I've seen) is included.

L reg not LK incidentally.

And I'm not aware of any anti-Cork mindset in Limerick which might explain your ease of traffic movement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I thought FTI was the Limerick reg??? I was born at the end of that era though! My grandad had a White 305 van with the FTI reg, my aunt was driving it up to about 7 or 8 years ago. Didn't even have wing mirrors:L:L

I think it was TI, we used to have a TI reg car back in the day, i think the first letter before it denoted the year, similar to the way it used to work in the UK a couple of years ago.

Old registrations (Pre-1987):

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/where/irl.htm

And I'm not aware of any anti-Cork mindset in Limerick which might explain your ease of traffic movement ;)

No, definitely no anti-Cork feelings in my part of the city. No problems driving an RN reg around town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it was TI, we used to have a TI reg car back in the day, i think the first letter before it denoted the year

The first letter did not denote the year (although it could be worked out). The first letter denoted the start of the series. For example, the series that you have mentioned is Limerick City.

When this series began, the first registration would have been ATI 1 and this wouls have went to ATI 999. Then it was BTI 1 and so on.

All counties were assigned their initial registrations in 1903. Some counties used then up much quicker than others.

Limerick City may originally have had TI without a prefix letter. It would have went from TI 1 to TI 9999 and this would have lasted for many years. Then it went to ATI, BTI etc.

In the early to middle part of the last century, the registration sequences lasted for a long time as there were way few registrations. Leitrim's initial letters lasted from 1903 until 1972 - an incredible 69 years.

Towards the end of 1986, Dublin sequences were running out on a regular basis bearing in mind that the country was on it's knees then. Imagine if we had those sequences now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The first letter did not denote the year (although it could be worked out). The first letter denoted the start of the series. For example, the series that you have mentioned is Limerick City.

ya, I knew I wasn't exactly right there.

Limerick City may originally have had TI without a prefix letter. It would have went from TI 1 to TI 9999 and this would have lasted for many years. Then it went to ATI, BTI etc.

It did indeed, I just stuck our old reg (TI only - no prefix) into cartell.ie and it came back with the details, good old Renault 12, wasn't expecting to see it appear on the screen!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Imagine if we had those sequences now!

All we'd have to do is do away with the number element of the sequence and just use letters- you'd have a greater than exponential increase in the amount of unique registrations available. It works elsewhere in places with ten times more registered vehicles than us (think Germany for instance).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I thought FTI was the Limerick reg??? I was born at the end of that era though!

TI for the City and IU later followed by IV for the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cloono

I remember being informed my OY reg was not as desirable to city dwellers a few years ago, by a dealer in south dublin. What a load of ^%&*^%&*%^.

Seems to be the way we are going nowadays, people move up from the country, and within weeks are speaking with a D4 twang, and driving a D reg car, as if they are embarassed to be from outside the pale?

I don't mind where a car is registered, means feck all.........but for some reason people are willing to value a car by what number is written on the front.

I bet there was none of this aul sh*te years ago when we didn't have a collective pot to piss in.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Try driving a D reg in Cork is dangerous.........

Cork people dont seem to like a D reg car - they dont even like them near them I've noticed this driving in and out of the city its mad they'll overtake regardless

That's typical Cork attitude for ya Boy !!! They need to get over the whole CAPITAL issue.

Advertisement