Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 928

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am selling my 1986 porsche 928 S2 which as a 4.7l engine. the car is in great condition. I asked a couple of garage and clubs I am with how much I could sell the car and they talked between 7000 to 9000 but when i search on the web some sell them from 12 to 14000.

So I did put a couple of adverts for 9000 because it is honestly a mint condition car. NCT just passed yesterday and did not put a penny on the car yet. there is only the A/c which do cold and very hot, and the door lock that I just changed (after 22 years it was in) I have full history etc....

I just would be happy to get some advices...

should I trade it, sell privately etc.....basically what should I expect.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you sell to a dealer you can never expect to get the same amount that you would get if selling privately asn the dealer expects a mark up on it (possibly after spending some money on it).
    However, just because some are advertised for 12-14K does not mean that they sell for this amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

locteau wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am selling my 1986 porsche 928 S2 which as a 4.7l engine. the car is in great condition. I asked a couple of garage and clubs I am with how much I could sell the car and they talked between 7000 to 9000 but when i search on the web some sell them from 12 to 14000.

So I did put a couple of adverts for 9000 because it is honestly a mint condition car. NCT just passed yesterday and did not put a penny on the car yet. there is only the A/c which do cold and very hot, and the door lock that I just changed (after 22 years it was in) I have full history etc....

I just would be happy to get some advices...

should I trade it, sell privately etc.....basically what should I expect.

Saw your ad on adverts. its a tasty car. great nick. With that type of car, you will prob loose out on a trade in. Better selling private, but be prepared for a few tyre kickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Ok and do you think the price for 7000 is a fair price, and maybe I should reduce teh one from carzone to 7k instead of 9k ?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

928s rock :cool:

The price is not so much what would sell a car like that, more the condition and the service history

Now if I were interested in buying it, I'd like to have detailed answers to some questions:

1. You say full history. On the adverts ad you say about 10 years history. Could you elaborate? As in what part of it is Porsche history, what part other, or done by yourself? Have you full proof of the service history? Would you be able to list the entire history?

2. How long have you had it?

3. When was the timing belt changed last?

4. You say full leather - is it really? Looks like half leather or faux-leather and half cloth. But I could very well be wrong

5. Condition of the tyres

6. Read out of the emissions from the NCT it has just passed

7. Are the cats still original or have they been replaced. In that case, have you proof of that?

8. Are you a member of any Porsche enthusiast clubs?

9. Who did you buy it from?

10. You say ALL electrics are working. Can you confirm?

11. What have you spent on it for what since owning it

12. What is the condition of the bodywork / alloys - are there any scratches, etc.

13. Does it have remote alarm / immobiliser

14. Any reason you've only had it NCT this week (nearly 2 years late). Is it the only NCT you have done on it?

15. It looks like it is a 4 speed auto box. Can you confirm? (auto box would put some people off - not me though)

16. Was the car ever in a crash?

17. Did you get it HPI checked before you bought it? If so can you give details of the report

18. Your pricing is all over the shop in the three ads that I'm looking at. Use one price

19. I presume it is the 16V 4.7 V8 with 310BHPand not the later 32V engine?

20. Is there anything, anything at all wrong with it that you know of?

21. Was it ever used as a taxi (only messin' :D)

:eek:

I just updated my answers (9pm), you seems to have more knowledge than me regarding this car !

1. I am not a mechanic at all, but have a full folder with receits form the UK, oldest invoice is 1995.

2. Nov 07 and store it until I could pay the VRT, really wanted it, but not practical for family and too expensive to run in petrol with my job.

3. New cambelt at 133000mile in april 2003, from what I found from the papers

4. you are right half leather, there is not the option on carzone, which is why I put the pictures.

5. Tyres only 4 month Pirelli P6000s (225x50x16s)

6. the motor tax in galway told me that the emission apply for only cars bought before july or imported from july, the classic clubs say that too. the NCT report says: Low Idle CO 0.18% and (750rpm) HC 177ppm

7. what are the cats ?

8. yes posrche club ireland and wvvmc in Galway... the car is on the porsche website.

9. Garage in the uk was with full MOT to august this year.

10. The cruise control does not work, but all electrics are working 100%, no dash signal etc...

11. I just did the hand brake, the auto knob in carbon.. I bought new brake pad last month, and bonnet strut front. I also have two spare electric mirrors and got a set of new key (one short and long). There was 8 new plugs when I bought it

12. No scratch, no rust, chassis good condition.

13. alarm / immobiliser, yes but I disable them (my garage)

14. yes only NCT because car was in dry storage, and only paid VRT in Nov07, I did not drive the car much to be honest....I am traveling a lot with my job. I have all MOT from 1996.

15. I think it is, there is 2/3/D/N/P

16. Not with me anyway.

17. what is HPI

18. I know, that's why I asked here, the classic club give me a price, on teh web the same car is different etc... I just want to sell it to buy a MVP I saw in dublin, by I am worry that if I trade I will loose a lot.

19. it is the 16V 4.7 V8 with 310BHP

20. the Air conditioning is very hot and very cold, and I ordered from porsche dublin a new door lock cylinder, as the one I have does not do central locking all the time. I paid for it they said it will come around the 16th this month

21. I don't know, did not know you could do taxi with a Porsche coupe , as it is very small. I would not think so.

I don't think someone who buy a colllection porsche, will worry much about tyres, because if you have this kind of car and can't pay for the tyres, it does mean that you won't be able to take care of the car.....and I would like someone who likes classics, I do think it is a stunning car, much cleaner than what I see everyday.

Hope that's answer your question, I am not a mechanic, love old cars, I have a Daimler Xj40 3.6 which is great. I will be in dublin on the 16th if anybody want to see it. call me if any questions. i can fax all the documents or email them etc...

• Advertisement

this is the small advert here

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=42514

I updated the car zone advert too so all the advert says the same. I asked some porsche owner and said that it is a very good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

928 is one of my all time favourite cars, I may be in the market for one later this year or 2009, unfortunately not right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like a lovely car :)
    locteau wrote: »
    3. New cambelt at 133000mile in april 2003, from what I found from the papers

That's not good. It was only 6k miles ago, but it should be done again right now (every 5 years or 45k miles whichever comes first). It's a very expensive job.

I don't know why you try to give me a hard time, as I said I am not a mechanic, i went to see my mechanic this morning and called porsche in the Uk.

they just told me that yes it as to be change every 45k to 60k and that the car was in dry storage for nearly 1 year and half before I buy it. they also said that on a classic you do not expect to do 10k but more between 4k to 6k miles max a year so you will never do the 45k in 5 years, but more 8 years.

As I said I just want to know how much I can sell it, that's it.
    The car is in very good condition and work as it should, you should not worry about the expenses of a cambelt on a porsche because if you buy a porsche everything you will do on it will always be expensive exept if you are a mechanic.

but I am ready to take of the price off doing the cambelt, no problem, I just need a wee bit money to buy the MVP.

Advertisement