Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Trying to get Estate Agent / Landlord to pay for previous Tenant's Bill.

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Firstly for my sins I am an Estate Agent or as some would coin it a Harbinger of Hell. Ok, here it goes, one of the tenants just finished their lease and left an ESB bill in their name for over €800.00 and the ESB was disconnected yesterday or today by the ESB for non payment. When I tried to get the account transferred over to the incoming tenant / occupant this evening, I was told that I or the landlord would have to discharge / pay the bill before it can be transferred to the new occupant / tenant. Please can any one advise me as how to proceed with this, would this be a matter for the Consumers Association of Ireland or is there some organisation that can reefer this matter to, as in 10 years of working in this profession. I have never come across this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Gerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

is this kind of thing not what deposits are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it not up to the ESB to chase their own debts and not make you do it. If they let someone run up €800 then they should chase then for it. BTW was the account in the landlords name or tenants? Cause if it was in the landlords I think they would have to pay

I always though that they can't diconnect electricty or water as they are essental services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If the bill was in the name of the person who did a runner, then you are ok.
    Otherwise you will have to pay the full amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daveirl wrote: »

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't move into a house/flat that had no ESB connected, the landlord or the estate agent should reconnect the ESB before trying to rent the place to anyone else.

Can't expect a new tenant to pay the reconnection fee for something where the landlord or estate agent fecked up on, after all is this what deposits are for as already mentioned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gerry_J

Just to give you an update, the problem is solved, spoke to a very nice lady in the ESB Credit Control department first thing this morning that was very helpful this time as opposed to the person I spoke to in the ESB customer service department last night and she under stood the problem and has now arranged for reconnection next week.

All the landlord is out of pocket for will be the reconnection costs, but thankfully it was in the tenants name so he will have them chasing him, but whether or not they find him will be the thing. Thanks for your feedback.

As for the deposit issue this has now to be used to fix the timber floor as with the power off to the fridge / freezer it defrosted and leaked all over the tiled floor in the kitchen and then flowed to the timber floor in the living area and we will now have to replace some segments that warped as well as getting in a de-humidifier and generator to fix the problem in the absence of any power to avoided any further damage.

Regards Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

If I where the new tennant I would expect the ESB to be switched on when I move in, else you will be breaking the terms of agreement (house/flat not suitable for habitation) anyway many many years ago we I rented we always had to do a meter reading with the copy of the last bill upon exit, that was the point that you where liable for the bill (works both ways for tenant and landlord) If the property was leased by the estate agent and they did not check before the keys where handed in the they are liable if the Landlord received the return keys then he would be liable... somebody was sleeping on the job with this one... not fair to expect the new tennant to pay extra for a basic service like electricity!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gerry_J, glad you got it sorted out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Gerry_J wrote: »
    would this be a matter for the Consumers Association of Ireland or is there some organisation that can reefer this matter to, as in 10 years of working in this profession.
    Just for future reference, the Consumers Association exists to support consumers. An estate agency is a business, not a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dont the esb and bord gas ask all house owners for a hefty deposit €400+ unless they agree to pay by direct debit?

Advertisement