Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I charge??

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone another question for you all!

A neighbour of mine has just asked me to mind her child while she works. The child is 7 yo and goes to school with my daughter they are friends I wouldn't really Know the family other than hello.

She wants me to mind her from 7 am and bring her to school at 8 45 am. Then collect her at 2 30pm and keep her til 7pm.

I'm a stay at home mother. would be bringing mine to school anyway. So I'm not put out too much.

This lady is a non national dont really know much about her financial circumstances asked her how much she wanted to pay but she put the question back to me.

So looking for your opinions how much? Feel I should charge her something coz if we all got it for free I'd be out working long ago!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I know that creches charge 25 for a half day and 35-40 for a full day.
    Whatever her financial circumstances, you'd be crazy to take less than 20.
    Especially if you'll be expected to provide breakfast before (packed lunch) and probably dinner. I would sugges asking for 30 and see her reaction. Don't undervalue the time you'll be spending, checking that homework is started at least !?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Firstly you need to decide do you really want to mind the child. Just because you have been asked does not mean you have to say yes. How will your dd feel about sharing her toys/you with her every day. What about school holidays/inservice days/ your holidays/ if the child is sick?

If you decide to go ahead, if you are in Dublin 5e an hour is cheap, 8e dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Not in dublin in contry (should change that) No breakfast or lunch just dinner. Was actually considering taking kids in to mind to make a few bob just hadnt acted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Wow,

Those are some long hours...7-7. Is it Monday to Friday? My childminder charges 150 for minding my daughter (but my daughter is under 2 and isn't in school or playschool yet) anywhere between 8 and 5, Monday to Friday. I am outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe check the forums on rollercoaster.ie - there's quite a lot of discussion of this kind of thing there.

(i'll probably get banned for recommending another forum....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

embee wrote: »
    Wow,

Those are some long hours...7-7. Is it Monday to Friday? My childminder charges 150 for minding my daughter (but my daughter is under 2 and isn't in school or playschool yet) anywhere between 8 and 5, Monday to Friday. I am outside of Dublin.
    7-7 makes it sound like 12 hours, when it's actually 7-9 & 2.30-7, which is six and a half hours. Plus the older child should require less looking after than a toddler not at school.

But as SarahMc said, I would check all the conditions first. Do it on a one/two-week trial basis first and set down rules for all days off, sickness etc. While it might sound formal, it avoids any hassle if issues do come up.

You also need to check if your daughter is happy to have the friend around all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yes but no doubt she will be expected to mind the child from 7 to 7 when the school is on holidays and I doubt the rate will change.

The rate would have to change during school holidays and inservice days. Your local County Childcare Committee will know the going rate for your area. It varies hugely from County to County and even within counties.

As Paul said, a trial basis on both sides is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

My aunt has the exact same arrangement with a neighbour of hers. She only charges 80 euro a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I pay a €5 an hour per child, I think that is a fair amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Its a tricky one all right. I have a daughter aged 8 - and while there is not a lot of 'looking' after in children that age, it would be a big distruption to her life if i was to take in another child of the same age everyday.

Especially when you take in the late evening aspect of it. Ok so you dont have the child till 2.30 but 7 pm at night is late. My 8 year old goes to bed at 8 most nights ... so that almost bedtime!!

And lets face it 7am in the morning is early!! I dont have to leave the house for the school run till 8.50 so am only out of the bed at 7.50... you must be about the same yourself?

So I would charge enough to compensate for the anti-social aspect of the job. So would be looking for at least 7 euro per hour... with the understanding from the parent that you get paid for every hour that you mind the child. So you would get extra the weeks that the school is off.

The trial is a good idea ... there was another thread on here recently about how much to charge for childminding .. worth having a look at that ..

littlebit dull you are right it's kinda antisocial! running into problem already coz mine are waking when she comes whereas they don't need to be up foro another hour and then I know it in the evening when they're like cats!

Saying that this little one is a fairly good kid and the two girls seem to be getting along fine after the homework and all is done they go listen to music and dance in her bedroom not really affecting me much in the evening. Actually better especially when it's wet -not hearing the "I'm bored" statement from my girl.

In terms of money asked her for 120 she said she couldn't afford it could afford 80 at most. I told heer we give it a trial for 3 wks and agreed to the 80. I kinda felt sorry for her she is a lone parent travells to dublin to work. Also looked into what the local afterschool is charging and they only looking for 70 but they don't open in morns so no good to her!

€80 is very very low for those hours.

You really do need to be quite hard nosed, it is not a matter of what she can afford, but what you value your time at.

If she is haggling over money at this stage, it is generally, in my experience a bad sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I pay €405 PM - this is to a creche

I drop my daughter there at 8.30 - they walk her to school and collect her.

In the evening she gets dinner and i collect her at six

If there is a day off I pay an extra €10 for a full day.

Its reasonable i suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

€80 a week is insulting. That works out at about €2.50 phr. I mind children after school and charge €5 per hour. That is the minimum IMO. And you should make sure you've agreed what happens if the child is sick or on holidays.
    Her saying she can only afford €80 sets off alarm bells to me. You are providing a service and doing a job for her and should be fairly paid for it whether it's no trouble to you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've just recently started minding a 7 year old boy 3 afternooons per week and so far I've only had him for 6 hours but get paid for 9 hours in case the parents a delayed and it will cover the occasional day he may have off from school. I'll only have him term time so it suits my own circumstances.

I collect him from school and he has his dinner at my place. I asked for €6 per hour and the parents think that's too low and have insisted that they pay me €70 for the 3 afternoons. I only have him a max of 1.5 hours one afternoon as he has an activity on that afternoon.

I feel a right fool now! will have to put the push on her for more. Going by what you are all saying she won't get it any where else at this price thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GAVAN90

dont forget if you advertise you will be more likely to get much younger children that have much higher needs and although its not a lot of money, it is a starter, you can then always take on a couple more and charge higher. but dont forget to set out the days off, the sick days and the days that she doesnt come in and be very clear about this. have a look at the childminders ireland site, they seem to be very good group to be affiliated to and they help with paper work and insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

GAVAN90 wrote: »
    have a look at the childminders ireland site, they seem to be very good group to be affiliated to and they help with paper work and insurance etc.

I'm a member of Childminding Ireland but the City and County Childcare Committees have childminding advisors and are far more helpful, they seem to have taken over a lot of the services that Childminding Ireland did. Also they will help you access free or subsidises courses, network of childminders who can pass on any enquiries from people looking for childcare.

They also help with getting the childminders grant which is worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement