Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPRS in 3 with java apps

• 11-01-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

does anyone had problem with java apps like jabber client, or google talk with 3 network? I can't force them to work;only built-in web browser and Opera mini are working and also MSN Messenger and Skype as free service and email client using port 25 and 110 or TSL/SSL. Maybe there is any proxy, which is blocking all other connections? Any solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

3 have blocked most ports other than the ones you metioned back last september. Its not really a mobile broadband service at all is it?

i cannot use:
    fring, spodtronic, vnc, putty, wireless irc, mgtalk, MS windows messenger, Original Skype client etc..
    Basically I can only use http(s) (80/443) and the standard pop/smtp ports (and only sometimes at that).

Some webpages are blocked also.

I have rang customer care and emailed them since September and it never got escalated.

Is anyone else experiencing blocked outgoing ports other than the standard ones mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jawakow

It's part of my chat with 3 operator:
    [Operator 1] Welcome to 3, My name is Yogesh , How can i help you?
    [Lukey] Hi I've question about Mobile Internet
    [Operator 1] sure go ahead
    [Lukey] I can't use for example mgtalk, jabber client, VNC, putty and other program which are using different ports than http(80,443) and pop3/smtp
    [Lukey] is that other ports are blocked?
    [Operator 1] well we do have some ports blocked on the mobile internet
    [Operator 1] and i think 80,443 is one of them
    [Operator 1] i am sorry 80,443 is not one of them
    [Lukey] Can I buy a servive which allow me use most ports?
    [Operator 1] are you using a prepay or a pay monthly phone?
    [Lukey] pre pay
    [Operator 1] alright let me check that for you
    [Operator 1] just give me a moment
    [Lukey] and I've bought Mobile Internet option for 5,99 euro last time
    [Lukey] sure
    [Operator 1] alright
    [Operator 1] well were you abel to access those sites before?
    [Operator 1] or those applcations that you mentioned
    [Lukey] no
    [Lukey] just web browsking is working now
    [Lukey] and some ports from you free offer like MSN
    [Operator 1] well you might not be able to access those applications as those sites might not be compatible with your handset or there might be something wrong with the site
    [Operator 1] yes MSN is free
    [Lukey] I'm intere
    [Operator 1] sorry?
    [Lukey] resting aboot port 5222
    [Lukey] no it was worked properly all the time I was trying on other handsets as well
    [Operator 1] and when you were trying to access those sites on other handsets and it was accessible?
    [Lukey] but I was trying in Vodafone
    [Operator 1] VODAFONE might not have kept the ports blocked which are blocked by "3"
    [Lukey] just software said that some ports are blocked
    [Operator 1] correct because they are
    [Lukey] any chance to buy another option to get access to other ports?
    [Operator 1] well if those ports are blocked then they will be blocked, no matter which package you buy for internet
    [Lukey] but how is in pay monthly options?
    [Operator 1] in pay monthly also the options are the same, i mean the ports will be blocked there as well
    [Lukey] do you have any plans for future to change Internet offer and allow to use more ports then?
    [Operator 1] as customers are requesting for the betterment of the internet services, we will work on that as well
    [Lukey] OK thanks for info and see you then.
    [Operator 1] Is there anything else I can help you with today ?
    [Lukey] no thanks
    [Operator 1]

Thank You for contacting us. For any further assistance please feel free to contact us.

so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I have access to all the above applications using 3's Gold X-Series. I did have to jump up and down for about 3 months after their August 'upgrade' to get them (see my previous posts on Boards) and Real streaming still drops consistently after about 1 minute 50 seconds but apart from that all's good.

Having dealt with these muppets since May, my advice is to force them to carry out all correspondence in writing - you will never get anywhere with them unless they know you have a record of your correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I have access to all the above applications using 3's Gold X-Series. I did have to jump up and down for about 3 months after their August 'upgrade' to get them (see my previous posts on Boards)

I went through all this as well and a bit of jumping up and down got me access too on x-series gold.

The difference now is that they are very upfront that they are blocking ports.
    The totally denied that 3 months ago.

I have since moved to the business package and of course all my ports were blocked again.

When I rang them they said that they do block them and will not open them as only three applications are supported (might be a business thing) and to be honest I'm not sure whether I have the energy to go through dealing with them on a regular basis again...

Good luck with it jawakow, I'll watch with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

X-Series blurb says 'anything that's free on the Internet is free to use on X-Series' - that's the basis on which I made my contract with them. Making them corrspond in writing means they'll slip up sooner rather than later. CS have NO technical knowledge save that which they learn from customer complaints and it is pointless putting yourself through dealing with them any more than you have to.

I know what you mean about the CS fatigue Postie, I would like to see the Real stream issue sorted but just haven't worked up the energy to really tackle it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement