Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

The site at the North Quays was sold during the boom. Now we're hitting turbulence in the world and Irish economies. Could this spell trouble for the development?

And does anyone know when that stupid right-of-way case is due to be decided? It seems as if we have to wait months and months for these legal hoops to be jumped through! As if it wasn't enough that An Bord Leisciúil have today put off their decision on the Newgate Centre for another month!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

fricatus wrote: »
    The site at the North Quays was sold during the boom. Now we're hitting turbulence in the world and Irish economies. Could this spell trouble for the development?

And does anyone know when that stupid right-of-way case is due to be decided? It seems as if we have to wait months and months for these legal hoops to be jumped through! As if it wasn't enough that An Bord Leisciúil have today put off their decision on the Newgate Centre for another month!

In my opinion it is down to Cullen to get his hands dirty and sort this out. He has dropped the ball badly. Even Galway is starting to plan a docklands redevelopment now and they would have a lot less industrial land to rejuvenate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

It's at times like this I wish we had a cute hooor in power from the Waterford area to get things done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I don't know if you've heard but a there is a similar situation preventing the RPA starting one of the new luas lines. CIE won't allow surveyors access part of the line the crosses their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Personally, I think it is the Port of Waterford Company is to blame. They are being totally unreasonable trying to dictate the times that trains can pass on the level crossing. My house is affected by a right of way, I could never tell the neighbours what time to go in and out with the wheelie bins. To try to attach conditions to a right of way affecting a public transport company was always going to end in court. The port company should have received better legal advice than they did.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Irish Times reports today that the dispute has been settled. Happy days :D

Maybe the site can now be sold and a start made on developing it. It just has to be done for 2011. Imagine how good the Tall Ships race will be if that area is a fully-functional waterfront area with apartments and so on as its backdrop? Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fricatus wrote: »
    The Irish Times reports today that the dispute has been settled. Happy days :D

As is the lead story in this weeks munster express. About bloody time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is no chance of the development being built in 30 months.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

before they build anything they have to figure out how to take down the old mill buildings safely without bits falling into yhe river, this will take a while as the place is riddled with asbestos and the work will have to be done by hand. 2015 is a decent target imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What they will have to do on the North Quays for the TSR is what the townfolk did in Blazing Saddles.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

great to read of soon demolition happening on north quays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Max Powers wrote: »

Where did you read this Max? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep good news unless you are a fan of re-enforced concrete structures. A pity the Ard Ri will still stand above the cleared site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Im happy that the Ard Ri Hotel is not part of this demolition project,there is still a chance that we can get back a landmark hotel with amazing views of the city over the next few years. I hope the council really make the North Quays something to be proud of with a retail,office and leisure offering.Irelands tallest building would be perfect for this site!

There is no chance of that box being fit for anything other than a ball and chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Great to see it go, wonder where all the rats will move to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Would part of the demolition spec involve what to do with any infestation (rat, pigeon) or do they just knock these things and hope for the best? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Max Powers wrote: »

They are suppose to be starting the demolition in the next few weeks,some rats scattering out of that place.anyone have information what's there plans after they demolish this eye sore?

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    They are suppose to be starting the demolition in the next few weeks,some rats scattering out of that place.anyone have information what's there plans after they demolish this eye sore?

If Waterford were Galway we'd get a massive tax write off which would encourage development in the fashion of say a "hub" of some sort - small tech businesses that link with the IT but as we're Waterford we'll get no assistance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

If Waterford were Galway we'd get a massive tax write off which would encourage development in the fashion of say a "hub" of some sort - small tech businesses that link with the IT but as we're Waterford we'll get no assistance at all.

We're not looking for small Harry but I like your thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

jimbo1979 wrote: »

Probably no funds for any grand plans. Something like a running or cycling track with a green area could be a good option in the short term that may not be too costly

Correct me if im wrong but isnt there one building there that has a preservation order on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Shane07 wrote: »
    Im happy that the Ard Ri Hotel is not part of this demolition project,there is still a chance that we can get back a landmark hotel with amazing views of the city over the next few years. I hope the council really make the North Quays something to be proud of with a retail,office and leisure offering.Irelands tallest building would be perfect for this site!

If there was a new hotel to go up there the first thing they would do is demoish the one that's there now.

Who is saying they would get planning permission for a 6 storey building on that height of a site again this is Ireland after all!,the current building could be incorporated into whatever will be built on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think maybe a large sculptural cross or statue in place of the ard ri. Like Rio de Janeiro. *Makes hasty exit*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shane07 wrote: »
    Who is saying they would get planning permission for a 6 storey building on that height of a site again this is Ireland after all!,the current building could be incorporated into whatever will be built on the site.

The current building is a monstrosity. It deserves to be torn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

This action is being taken by the Receivers and NAMA on foot of a dereliction notice by Waterford Council, the hold up at the moment is they need to apply for a waste licence to store the crushed concrete that will result from the demolition.
    This will take a minimum of six weeks to happen , demolition will start sometime after that date.
    The above are the facts, the only thing on the wharf when they finish will be a large pile of crushed concrete.

Don't read anything else into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

looksee wrote: »
    I think maybe a large sculptural cross or statue in place of the ard ri. Like Rio de Janeiro. *Makes hasty exit*

Couldn't you just imagine the outcry, the angst against some religious symbol

being perpetrated upon the citizens of Waterford.

A good idea though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I think this site has limited scope without a bridge/footbridge. That won't happen for some time. In the meantime, when it's leveled and cleared, something with a strong vertical element would be best.

Tree planting would be great, but they take too long. By the time they've matured something else will be developed.

So my suggestion is a large (massive!) flag of the tricolour on a an elevated podium surrounded by smaller flags along the North Quay, in an attactvely landscaped setting.
    • it has a strong vertical element
    • it's windy!
    • references Meagher
    • is cheap
    • low maintenance
    • doesn't require patronage to make it work (no footbridge remember!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I think the 5 cruise ships that were docked there last year was a sign as to the direction the North Quays should take. At least part of it anyway. I think the docks from the bridge to the old mill that is going to be demolished should be given to the city council by NAMA (I presume it is in NAMA). It should then be turned into a public space with a foot bridge to the Clock Tower. Even if some buildings were built there later at least it would start to integrate the North Quays with the city centre. It would also be less of a risk for developers to build on the remainder of the North Quays as they would be adding to an area already in use as opposed to building on a site that is cut off from the city centre as it is now. Personally I think the millions that has been spent on these BS green routes around the city would have been better spent on a project like this.

Advertisement