Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Bowlardo wrote: »
    what is the plan for the development?

Not decided yet.
    Over the coming months Waterford City and County Council will undertake wide ranging consultations to inform and shape the development of the SDZ planning scheme. It is intended that the draft planning scheme would be submitted to the members of Waterford City and County Council for approval in late 2016.

http://www.environ.ie/planning/development-zones/minister-coffey-announces-designation-waterford-north-quays-sdz

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Any updates/pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Any updates/pics?

They decided that the docks looked too empty so they've rebuilt it:

Cgbi0SzUkAAmGKN.jpg

On a serious note, I don't have pictures but they have started demolishing the smallest building there. The steel structure adjacent to where the silos stood is also being demolished with about 1/3 of it gone now. Demolition of the other building (on the right looking from town) seems to have stalled with no progress on it the last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A few from the 3rd of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Not much left over there now!

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Any more photos? Must be a bit of progress in the last 2 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Trying to use the full site with a mobile phone is a skill! Attached is a photo showing the now exposed side of the Hennebique building after all the steel was removed. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Trying to use the full site with a mobile phone is a skill! Attached is a photo showing the now exposed side of the Hennebique building after all the steel was removed. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo

Seen a comment on Facebook (Think it was on the beautiful Waterford imagery group) by Cclr Mary Roche that the demolition won't be completed until October!

I see the Bolands Mills demolition in Dublin has just been completed. Seems to have used the same kind of machinery.

The demolition of the large 1950s concrete silos at the site – which has been renamed Boland’s Quay – took eight months.

000c9039-614.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Going forward I would relocate Bus Eireann to the former Waterford Crystal

site in Kilbarry. Centralise the whole lot in one area and there is enough space

to accommodate everything. Demolish the eye sore of an Irish Rail building

and move all functions to the still standing office block. It would be ideal for the

amount of students currently in WIT and the population within that locality.

I would then suggest the building of a second bridge to cross from Ferrybank

to the other side of the river coming out between Reginalds Tower & the

Tower Hotel and make Lombard Street one way leading out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

photos taken last Monday

DSC00009_zpslm0votdc.jpg

DSC00010_zps2lzbwlcb.jpg

Great photos guys! Can we get one from the the town side please so that we can see the difference now

Edit: One with an entire view of the north quays please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I see the bit on the right, when looking from the city side, that they started and left started to come down today. Good to have it gone for the Spraoi weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

any more pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Will the rest of that central block be demolished too? The bit with BLAA written on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Will the rest of that central block be demolished too? The bit with BLAA written on it..

Hopefully. But I know at least the building behind is being kept. I'm not too sure about the big grey slab of misery visible from town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hopefully. But I know at least the building behind is being kept. I'm not too sure about the big grey slab of misery visible from town though.

It's all going except for the one behind the building with blaa on it..another 6+ weeks there i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

be interesting to see how they will demolish the "BLAA" building and what their plan of attack will be

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes that bit is going, its the much darker building behind it that will remain as its a protected structure. It might look bad now but with a clean up and other works in the area in a few years and it'll look fine

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yes that bit is going, its the much darker building behind it that will remain as its a protected structure. It might look bad now but with a clean up and other works in the area in a few years and it'll look fine

Is it just the outer shell that is being preserved or can the inside be used
    for offices or anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

danjo-xx wrote: »

I'd imagine its the shell, the inside no doubt can be renovated into offices etc
    If they didn't allow this then the building would likely never be used for anything ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

danjo-xx wrote: »

My understanding is that once the structural elements of the building, both inside and out are not interfered with then it can be converted to any use they approve of.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

John Cummins asked people on facebook what ideas they had for what should go in here,and to be fair there was some really stupid things from astro turf football pitches to a therapeutic yoga centre to a skatepark!,and some even said dont put anything in because they can finally see Waterford from their house!

Whatever goes in it needs to benefit the people of Waterford/South Kilkenny and tourists alike,personally id like to see the whole quay redeveloped with this because whoever thought it would be a good idea to put carparks along a riverfront needs their heads examined.

But realistically what i think could and should go in there would be to get rid of the carpark next to the plaza and have that developed into something maybe even extend the plaza,and from there have a footbridge that swings from the right out into the river and have a viewpoint with seating etc ,then continue the footbridge from the left into the centre of the north quays.

Im not too sure what can be done with the building thats staying maybe convert it into a theatre royal/garter lane style venue or a boutique style hotel,and all along the riverfront have restaurants/cafes/bars ,and to the back of the quays have various different shops etc ,how nice would it be to walk over from town have a bite to eat along the river then watch a show and head for a few drinks after it.

A lot of people might not agree with me but Waterford is slowly picking up and something like this can be done and it would breath new life into the city,but knowing the council it will probably be turned into a car park with the building a multi story car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

footbridge
    theater
    value hotel chain (premier inn/travelodge/ibis)
    premium hotel chain (Radisson)
    offices
    3 generou sized restaurants
    new train platform

All brought to together by a redeveolped dockyard communal area. Think the area the Bord Gais theater is situated at in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would be all in favour of relocating the railway station, anything to avoid coming out onto that roundabout, but the cost of moving it would be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Office space, train station, pedestrian bridge and more office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whatever goes in it needs to benefit the people of Waterford/South Kilkenny

Well, not sure about that, what have they done for us? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

BBM77 wrote: »
    I see the bit on the right, when looking from the city side, that they started and left started to come down today. Good to have it gone for the Spraoi weekend.
    It will improve the view of the fireworks display from Ferrybank no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

looksee wrote:
    I would be all in favour of relocating the railway station, anything to avoid coming out onto that roundabout, but the cost of moving it would be horrendous.

Cost wise relocation down stream is not a runner, traffic wise, a platform in sallypark might be better.

Advertisement