Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

sorry if this has been asked already, are they knocking the last building and why are they leaving that standing

It's staying there because of some preservation order on it which is madness as it's nothing but a shell and an eyesore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It's staying there because of some preservation order on it which is madness as it's nothing but a shell and an eyesore

I think it has amazing potential myself, if money could be found, it would look amazing, especially if it was flanked by newer buildings which would inevitably be a lot more modern looking.

Parachutes wrote: »
    But I thought it was a protected building? We can't knock it down but we can put some gaudy, tacky "street art" on it.

Waterford walls has gotten out of control, looks like harlem in some areas of the city. I thought Ferrybank would have been safe at least. We already have the yoke down beside spar and that monstrosity on the Ard Ri. Don't be giving them ideas!

Each to there own suppose but reckon you a minority on this one, especially the work by Irish artist on ard ri , not only is it better looking than an old run down building exterior but there is a message of mental health/well being behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Talk about short-sightedness at its worst. It won’t be a shell and an eyesore after it is restored. Personally I think it is well worth conserving, has great potential and will look great when restored. It fits in with the location well and again when restored it will look better than most new buildings that are build today.

BBM77 wrote:
    Talk about short-sightedness at its worst. It won’t be a shell and an eyesore after it is restored. Personally I think it is well worth conserving, has great potential and will look great when restored. It fits in with the location well and again when restored it will look better than most new buildings that are build today.

But what's it being restored too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

But what's it being restored too ?

http://rojo-studio.com/portfolio_page/north-quays/

It is planned to restore it to an office building. The link above is just a vision but it shows how well it could look restored. The design for the new blocks, I mean people are actually paid to come up with that kind of thing. If that is architecture and design give me a restored old building any day.

The buildings in the drawing to the left and right would be appalling for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Great shot, looks like science-fiction! Something "Ballardian".

ps can you link the full sized shot?

Here you go

http://imgur.com/dNwQpSe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

BBM77 wrote: »
    http://rojo-studio.com/portfolio_page/north-quays/

It is planned to restore it to an office building. The link above is just a vision but it shows how well it could look restored. The design for the new blocks, I mean people are actually paid to come up with that kind of thing. If that is architecture and design give me a restored old building any day.

So in the off-chance that it is restored it's going to be the uglier of the three buildings there. A real blow struck for Irish heritage by keeping that there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jambo wrote: »

You really should submit that (crop off the fence at the bottom) to some site or other if you see submissions invited for something related to urban regeneration, buildings, demolition or weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you crop it any further you lose either the water on the left or the white light on the right. The fence is fine, good industrial detail that is hardly noticeable. Very nice shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Heard from someone working on the site that the building is definitly not fit for an office. It was designed for a storehouse for grain and only has 4ft and 6ft ceilings. All concrete based too so very hard to knock floors without messing up the integrity of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

thats interesting, will be a massive task to bring it back to life

tbayers wrote: »
    Heard from someone working on the site that the building is definitly not fit for an office. It was designed for a storehouse for grain and only has 4ft and 6ft ceilings. All concrete based too so very hard to knock floors without messing up the integrity of the building

I'd guess your source is misinformed or talking about one of the other buildings, they didn't design floors 4' height which wouldn't allow people to walk in.also,that building levels was not designed for grain storage, why would they put Windows on every level.Windows are for people, Windows on every level, maybe there is a small section which used to to be a plant room or something, lift motors, etc, not a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'd guess your source is misinformed or talking about one of the other buildings, they didn't design floors 4' height which wouldn't allow people to walk in.also,that building levels was not designed for grain storage, why would they put Windows on every level.Windows are for people, Windows on every level, maybe there is a small section which used to to be a plant room or something, lift motors, etc, not a big issue.

have you ever heard of leprechauns?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

tbayers wrote: »

Some internal pictures here (posted earlier in the thread)

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-h-hall-flour-mills-waterford-ireland-september-2014.t92219

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/spillers-waterford-flour-mills-ireland-30-5-09.t40581

There was plenty more on Flickr I will post them when I can find them as I cant just now

Advertisement