Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about a spire shaped thing that just happens to be a metre taller than any other spires in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

How about a Drive in Cinema?
    Something like they have in Cork: http://www.moviejunction.ie/guide.html

Easy to setup, plenty of space and would not require millions!

Start with that and then build other entertainment type facilities around it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A permanent fireworks display - big bangs every Saturday night. A live music venue, beats the Bolton Street carpark albeit almost everyone has to cross the bridge to get there. Sure there's a million few things that could be done on that space at very little cost until someone comes up with a long term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Move Walsh Park over there and build a decent stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

shockwave wrote: »

Was thinking this myself. Imagine a decent stadium with the potential to hold decent size concerts. The amount of money spent on match days in other counties is enormous. We are losing out by not having a stadium in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

shockwave wrote: »

I agree with you but imagine the uproar that would cause in the county board’s Dungarvan faction.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i think the cruise ship and some other stuff is about the best and most realistic hope for the north quays for forseeable future. Pie in the sky dreams of high rise, stadiums, drive in cinemas etc is just dreams and completely unrealistic. While some of these things would be amazing, lets keep it a bit realistic and sensible...consider who would fill this stadium, who would pay for this or high rise buildings, drive in cinema in etc.

Max Powers wrote: »
    i think the cruise ship and some other stuff is about the best and most realistic hope for the north quays for forseeable future. Pie in the sky dreams of high rise, stadiums, drive in cinemas etc is just dreams and completely unrealistic. While some of these things would be amazing, lets keep it a bit realistic and sensible...consider who would fill this stadium, who would pay for this or high rise buildings, drive in cinema in etc.

The stadium would be filled by GAA fans. If we manage to get a stadium a stadium capable of holding Munster Quarter/Semi finals it would be some cash cow in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Cruise Terminal would be great at attracting more cruise ships - we have 33 in last year - potential for a lot more with the attraction of Waterford Crystal & Viking Triangle - maybe a few dept from WIT to create footfall to the city centre - or a bus from north quays to city centre - to college st and WIT main Campus

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

This could become the biggest urban renewel project in the country after the Dublin docklands and we need to demand our city council and TDs be ambitious in delivering a new urban quarter for the city,there is no reason for there not to be high rises,cruise docking,stadium of some sort and new riverside walkway with restuarants and bars! Look at Limericks 2030 plan new pedestrian bridge new city park I know Minister Nonan is the force behind it but Waterford needs to demand the best for this site and settle for nothing less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Shane07 wrote: »
    This could become the biggest urban renewel project in the country after the Dublin docklands and we need to demand our city council and TDs be ambitious in delivering a new urban quarter for the city,there is no reason for there not to be high rises,cruise docking,stadium of some sort and new riverside walkway with restuarants and bars! Look at Limericks 2030 plan new pedestrian bridge new city park I know Minister Nonan is the force behind it but Waterford needs to demand the best for this site and settle for nothing less!

I think people don't seem to understand the fact that we don't have any money.

That's why I talked about a tax relief scheme, attract private moolah.

Talk of a GAA stadium seems rather crazy given the nature of the site. Even if the Bus Eireann yard is included you'd have a job fitting one in with the appropriate support infrastructure and access to such a venue. It would also look as ugly as sin dominating the whole view northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

add 20% to the property tax... and we will have enough money....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's why I talked about a tax relief scheme, attract private moolah.

Talk of a GAA stadium seems rather crazy given the nature of the site. Even if the Bus Eireann yard is included you'd have a job fitting one in with the appropriate support infrastructure and access to such a venue. It would also look as ugly as sin dominating the whole view northwards.

The site is no where near big enough for a GAA Stadium and is completely unsuitable for that sort of infrastructure, I'd agree that the stadium would also be as bad of an eye sore as the silo's from the city side.

Another thing that could be done if a footbridge was built around the clock tower is access to the train station could also be improved. It would not be a big job to put a new entrance at the lower end of the train station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BBM77 wrote: »
    Another thing that could be done if a footbridge was built around the clock tower is access to the train station could also be improved. It would not be a big job to put a new entrance at the lower end of the train station.

A footbridge with duel footpath and cycle road on it into the city from Ferrybank would be of benefit to the people in Ferrybank getting into the city. It would also cut about 3-4km of a walk into the city

That location would be an issue if the north Wharf was designated for cruise traffic, it would need to be further down river at the Tower I'd say to be viable I think.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=waterford+North+Wharf+area&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=opera&channel=suggest&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=E-O_VJqgAqi07gaN9oAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AU&output=classic&dg=brw

Cabaal wrote: »
    A footbridge with duel footpath and cycle road on it into the city from Ferrybank would be of benefit to the people in Ferrybank getting into the city. It would also cut about 3-4km of a walk into the city

Surely this would the quickest and easiest way to increase footfall in the City. It's very cut off and would probably free up a few parking spaces in town if people could actually walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Relocate the station there (out of the floods) with retail and office space above, integrated with relocated bus station, footbridge to town, big statue of ow do....

We can but dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i think most of us agree that a footbridge is essential to something happening over there, to connect it to city, for F-bank, for developers to be interested etc. That should probably be priority 1 for council, nobody (maybe those on the north side) would use a public area over there unless its easily accessible from city side.
    Unfortunately, i dont think the council has the money, i dont see private enterprise jumping to get in there, money from central govt would be difficult in current circumstances, i dont see local politicians doing the unpopular and maybe raising LPT 5% to fund it over a number of years, i dont see the people of Waterford willing to pay extra for something like that...many difficulties

• Advertisement

i think most of us agree that a footbridge is essential to something happening over there, to connect it to city, for F-bank, for developers to be interested etc. That should probably be priority 1 for council, nobody (maybe those on the north side) would use a public area over there unless its easily accessible from city side.
    Unfortunately, i dont think the council has the money, i dont see private enterprise jumping to get in there, money from central govt would be difficult in current circumstances, i dont see local politicians doing the unpopular and maybe raising LPT 5% to fund it over a number of years, i dont see the people of Waterford willing to pay extra for something like that...many difficulties

Could the council not do some kind of fund it style program for projects round the city? I'm sure people would be willing to cough up a few bob if they knew exactly what the money was going towards. I'm sure businesses would be interested in supporting this as it could potentially increase the number of people coming into the city.

Do EU structural funds still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

wellboytoo wrote: »
    This action is being taken by the Receivers and NAMA on foot of a dereliction notice by Waterford Council, the hold up at the moment is they need to apply for a waste licence to store the crushed concrete that will result from the demolition.
    This will take a minimum of six weeks to happen , demolition will start sometime after that date.
    The above are the facts, the only thing on the wharf when they finish will be a large pile of crushed concrete.

Don't read anything else into it.

Do you know 100% if all the North Quay buildings will be demolished? This is the biggest piece of news from a city development point of view in the last decade, yet the Council has issued nothing official and surely the Mayor & Councillors would've been all over this trying to be the first to break the news, all we have is a few sentences from WLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Do you know 100% if all the North Quay buildings will be demolished? This is the biggest piece of news from a city development point of view in the last decade, yet the Council has issued nothing official and surely the Mayor & Councillors would've been all over this trying to be the first to break the news, all we have is a few sentences from WLR.

It was on the front page of the news and star this week

It was on the front page of the news and star this week

It's also been on WLR,

I think people are confusing demolishing with building. There are no plans to build anything there at present they are just knocking the buildings that are there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Does Iarnród Éireann not own some of that land also? I could be wrong but I thought that was the case when they talked about developing the land a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

There will be one of the concrete towers left as there is preservation order on it from what I heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Having been a resident in Ferrybank for the last ten years I'm absolutely delighted that this is finally happening. Even if nothing is built for the moment, just knocking those monstrosities will transform the area by opening up the view and taking the derelict, dull, and dark appearance away - even just walking into town will be a different experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would love a footbridge, shouldn't that be the main part of any green route!

I can't see how we could have one though. Would it have a lifting span too? If not, rice bridge would be obsolete.

Anyone remember the Heineken night that was held on the docks about 7 years ago? Maybe the docks could be another venue like Bolten St.

But seriously, what will happen with rats if they do knock the mills down? Seriously thinking of dropping over to the kk office in the centre to ask!

Advertisement