Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Shane07 wrote: »
    The 9 storey building is the only one being left as there is a preservation order on it! I agree this could be turned into a fine office or apartment block!

yeah, agree but its not so pretty, historic etc etc that if a developer wanted to knock it to build something good that we should be stuck with it, as i said in previous post this morning, it has potential but reality is, it costs more to renovate than to do up so we cant be beholden to it. Would love to see it done up. Ideal for a Science museum, childrens museum, offices etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’m open to correction on this but surely they are not going to leave a pile of concrete rubble on the site. The whole point is to improve the appearance of the site. Sure this would defeat that purpose. I’d imagine that the concrete and scrap metal will be sold to cover part of the cost.

I think the whole delay with the demolition commencing related to obtaining waste permits to store the waste onsite. (im sure this was mentioned in one of the news paper articles recently when demolition was announced)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would have thought they would have to know it and take away the rubble etc and make it safe until I saw what was left of the fertiliser factory in New Ross!

Hopefully it will be cleared and made safe. Time to get a few pics in from Ferrybank and the Quay before it all changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Who are the demolition company ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Who are the demolition company ?

Don't know but imagine Loftus or Tinnelys AFAIK the only ones left in the industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Don't know but imagine Loftus or Tinnelys AFAIK the only ones left in the industry

Demolition Services Ireland as far as I know. They're from Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's all very well and good lads but... where will the army of rats go?!

I'm joking... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Brendão wrote: »

I'm joking... I think.

As long as they stay north of the river, I'm happy! :P

Seriously though, I would assume that "wildlife management" would be part of any demolition plan. Anyone with expertise in this area enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'm joking... I think.

The flying rats, pidgeons are going to be the big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fricatus wrote: »
    Seriously though, I would assume that "wildlife management" would be part of any demolition plan.

makes sense but....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I'm joking... I think.

They can move to the Ferrybank Shopping Centre.

BBM77 wrote: »
    They can move to the Ferrybank Shopping Centre.

perfect. lovely home for them. feck sake what a fine building

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I heard that the wildlife management stated 3 weeks ago, hope so our I'll be robbing my sisters jack Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Postponed again because contracts have yet to be filed.
    More details on whats going though

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2015/05/07/demolition-of-north-quays-postponed/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

explosion-animation.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

danjo-xx wrote: »
    explosion-animation.gif

they should have done it like that....
    proper demo...
    make a party weekend over it, bring a huge amount of footfall into the city, few stalls, beer tents.... and then a nice big countdown into it and BANG....
    could have been brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's partially on a platform over the river. Perhaps that wouldn't survive an explosive demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Kahless wrote: »
    It's partially on a platform over the river. Perhaps that wouldn't survive an explosive demolition.

There's only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

its also one of the first reinforced buildings built in ireland back in the day so no chance of an explosion demolition

• Advertisement

its also one of the first reinforced buildings built in ireland back in the day so no chance of an explosion demolition

a job for the russians or yanks then. they know how to solve this problem. bring on the kaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    a job for the russians or yanks then. they know how to solve this problem. bring on the kaboom

Exactly..... would have been great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    very true. the yanks are very controversial with regards bringing down big buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

They should hold a competition and the winner gets to push the button to obliterate the lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

A friend of mine went in there to take photographs. There's a lot of rats living in there he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Well, the day has arrived. Have they started yet or has it been put off for another week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I've passed by a few times today and there doesn't seem to be any activity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

I've passed by a few times today and there doesn't seem to be any activity at all.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/46967-demolition-of-north-quays-to-get-underway-this-week.html

Could be a few weeks before anything noticeable difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

plenty of interior pics from here around the web. Will be weird to see the quays without it, but hopefully something nicer will be put there in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A friend of mine went in there to take photographs. There's a lot of rats living in there he says.

The Great Rat Migration of 2015 will be one for the ages.

Advertisement