Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well this was a public tender process, surely as part of the tendering process, it would be up to the council to carry out background checks on each company that put in a tender, wouldn't this not be standard procedure. If one was to apply for a job, as part of the interview process, references and background checks would be carried out on the interviewees, would it not?

They folded after the tender had been awarded and then had a slightly changed name on the new docs according to the News & Star.
    It emerged before contracts were signed between the Council and the contractor that Demolition Services Ireland Limited who won the original tender for the North Quays demolition project had since been wound up under an Order from the High Court of Justice in Northern Ireland dated July 8, 2015.

The contractor did not make Waterford City & County Council aware of this and presented insurance and other documentation under the style of Demolition Services (IRL) Limited. As this is not the same company that won the original competitive tendering process, it would not be in order to proceed.
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/2015/10/09/demolition-of-north-quays-delayed-again/

Even a slight name change between the tender and contracts should have been questioned though. Thats just sloppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well this was a public tender process, surely as part of the tendering process, it would be up to the council to carry out background checks on each company that put in a tender, wouldn't this not be standard procedure. If one was to apply for a job, as part of the interview process, references and background checks would be carried out on the interviewees, would it not?

Well they did, and everything at the time was fine no? It was only after everything was agreed and signed that they went bust. Is this not the case?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

O Riain wrote: »
    Well they did, and everything at the time was fine no? It was only after everything was agreed and signed that they went bust. Is this not the case?

That, I couldn't tell you, but that document does raise more questions thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Petition for windup was back 15th may 2015 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2334630

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe its me (I doubt it) but if I was committed to a big expensive job I'd be googling that contractor in question every day, well a few times a week even after the contracts had been signed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

spookwoman wrote: »
    Petition for windup was back 15th may 2015 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2334630

When was the tender awarded?

Looking now its been updated on the CIS page to 6/10/2015 On Site but looking back on a cached version 21/9/2015 says tender cannot see actual details -updating as i see it

wlrfm article back in July 13th ref delay http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/38052-tender-issues-delay-demolition-of-north-quays-in-waterford.html

Another from May 7th about docs not filed so moving demolition to 18th may http://www.waterford-news.ie/2015/05/07/demolition-of-north-quays-postponed/

June 18th munster mentions contracts been signed. dont know by and with who or for what http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/north-quays-new-dawn/

June 25 again contracts signed http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/6195-waterford-city-south-kilkenny-boundary-to-be-reviewed-6195.html

Paudy coffey back in june 9th on is fb page that " was pleased to receive confirmation that contracts have been signed for the demolition of the Old Flour Mills on the North Quays in Waterford. These works are now imminent and once they begin they will take between 10-12 weeks to be removed."

Whats contracts I don' know

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Either way, and no matter who's at fault, it has been a monumental cock up by all involved and we now have to suffer that eyesore for another few months...or even years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Google the company every day? Madness. And Google? For god sake, Google?!

There are requirements to submit tenders. I can't just rock on up and tender for this, with **** all money in the bank and say "Tis grand lads, I shall do it!". It would appear that who originally got the job went bust unbeknownst to the council as the company name in the paperwork was so similar you might not spot it. Same crew, just a slightly different name which resulted in the process being null and void. Somehow, the system failed and didn't catch this type of problem until towards the end. If there was a dramatic name change, you could call it a 'monumental cockup' but a slight tweak of words?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »

There are requirements to submit tenders. I can't just rock on up and tender for this, with **** all money in the bank and say "Tis grand lads, I shall do it!". It would appear that who originally got the job went bust unbeknownst to the council as the company name in the paperwork was so similar you might not spot it. Same crew, just a slightly different name which resulted in the process being null and void. Somehow, the system failed and didn't catch this type of problem until towards the end. If there was a dramatic name change, you could call it a 'monumental cockup' but a slight tweak of words?!

It used to be called a Phoenix Company in the '80's , drop all your creditors overnight and rise clean the next day with a subtle name change, surprised you can still do it in the North!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Guys you should ring the council & offer your services. Once you are in the council u will be able to sort out all the s**t, and the world can be a better place for it.

Sully wrote: »

No one is saying google the company everyday. I think many company lookup sites offer the service of a company watch and will email if there are any changes to it. But that said I think a regular lookup should be done on a probably a multi million euro contract as this is Ireland and definitely before you start making press releases. I have to laugh though when questioned they are soo blase about, no wonder Ireland is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

There is some nonsense being spouted here. Companies don't go bust 'overnight'. There are a huge number of advance warnings if you check their balance sheet which can be done in seconds with all the Companies Office packages (Irl & UK) out there which cost less than €200 a year. Most of these packages incorporate credit checks with warning lights and ratings so even non-professionals can understand them. If in doubt you get a completion bond, which wouldn't have been forthcoming from this company for obvious reasons.

As I see it the cock-up happened when this contractor was awarded the job in the first place. The fact that they tried some subterfuge to pretend the phoenix company was the one awarded the tender is irrelevant. Having the means to complete the contract should surely be a basic requirement of any tender process. Whatever way you look at it, this is a huge embarrassment for the City Council and also for the citizens who have to endure this eyesore at the gateway to our city for another six months or more as a result.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    There is some nonsense being spouted here. Companies don't go bust 'overnight'. There are a huge number of advance warnings if you check their balance sheet which can be done in seconds with all the Companies Office packages (Irl & UK) out there which cost less than €200 a year. Most of these packages incorporate credit checks with warning lights and ratings so even non-professionals can understand them. If in doubt you get a completion bond, which wouldn't have been forthcoming from this company for obvious reasons.

As I see it the cock-up happened when this contractor was awarded the job in the first place. The fact that they tried some subterfuge to pretend the phoenix company was the one awarded the tender is irrelevant. Having the means to complete the contract should surely be a basic requirement of any tender process. Whatever way you look at it, this is a huge embarrassment for the City Council and also for the citizens who have to endure this eyesore at the gateway to our city for another six months or more as a result.

Absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Guys you should ring the council & offer your services. Once you are in the council u will be able to sort out all the s**t, and the world can be a better place for it.

I don't think I've reached the required quota of multiple years being shoulder deep in peoples arses to be a councillor/politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are WCC not bothered about knocking down the eyesores anymore.....will soon be a year since they were due to go.

Anyone got any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Are WCC not bothered about knocking down the eyesores anymore.....will soon be a year since they were due to go.

Anyone got any update?

Contract to demolish them was signed last week and the whole site has been designated a Special Development Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

invalid wrote: »
    Contract to demolish them was signed last week and the whole site has been designated a Special Development Zone.

More info here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/News/MainBody,44095,en.htm

Minister of State for Housing, Planning and Co-ordination of Construction 2020 Strategy, Paudie Coffey TD along with the Mayor of Waterford City and County Council, Councillor John Cummins today (Friday 22 January, 2016) announced the designation of the North Quays of Waterford as a Strategic Development Zone.

“As a Minister from Waterford I have pursued this project for a long time, there is now a unique opportunity for accelerated and detailed master planning which will unlock the fabulous potential of the North Quays to bring significant economic development right into the heart of Waterford City,” said Minister Coffey.

My colleagues in Government have decided to designate, the North Quay area ( approx. 8ha) in Waterford City as a Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) following consideration of a submission by Waterford City and County Council as the Development Agency.

The designation of the North Quays reflects its strategic location as a driver for supporting strategic National and Regional economic and land use policy.

The site is of strategic significance for Waterford City, occupying as it does one whole side of the River frontage, opposite the City Centre and being visible from the main approaches to the City, particularly from the City Centre and the South Quays. It is adjacent to all services and utilities and offers the opportunity to enhance linkage with the City Centre, improve public transport connectivity and become a catalyst for strong City growth... (continues in link above)

Does anyone know the name of the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Loftus demolition I think

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Loftus demolition I think

Are they on site? I thought I read it was to start last Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Loftus did the bigger grain silos on the River Lee in Cork harbour so they'll have no trouble with the flour mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Timmmmbeeeer!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Have they come down?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Have they come down?

No sign of work commencing yet despite the Mayor and Paudie Coffey saying they expected work to commence last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jambo wrote: »
    No sign of work commencing yet despite the Mayor and Paudie Coffey saying they expected work to commence last week.

It will commence on 26 Feb!

I was assured by FG canvassers early last week that the demolition company were on site but I haven't been down on the Quays since. is there anything happening?

Whoever is on the Courthouse job has made short work of the fire station, it is completely flattened already. Good to see a start being made on getting proper court facilities back into town.

I've been down around there over the last couple of weeks, as recently as this morning as it happens and I've yet to see anyone working down there, this is really looking like pre-election crap again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Looks like something at least started today...saw a JCB (just one mind you!) beginning to demolish some of the old sheds..heres hoping!!!

Advertisement