Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Looks like something at least started today...saw a JCB (just one mind you!) beginning to demolish some of the old sheds..heres hoping!!!

One??? lol...... thats just funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Looks like something at least started today...saw a JCB (just one mind you!) beginning to demolish some of the old sheds..heres hoping!!!

The JCB will be gone once the GE is over:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Huge cherry picker there today with lads inspecting the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

great to see some progress here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Max Powers wrote: »
    great to see some progress here

On this thread or on the quays?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Surprised this hasn't been updated but demolition work has begun with buildings already being demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Sully wrote: »
    Surprised this hasn't been updated but demolition work has begun with buildings already being demolished.

Its been ongoing the past two weeks, crews are busy clearing the larger buildings internally and an old substation house was demolished the week before last, the asbestos panels were removed from the bestocks building last week and earlier this week, and now that building has be raised to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any pix of this floating about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

What's staying, and what's going? From the council's press release last year, sounds like only one building is being retained. I've marked which one I think it is in red - see attached image. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Sully wrote: »
    Nothing to complain about now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gadgie wrote: »
    What's staying, and what's going? From the council's press release last year, sounds like only one building is being retained. I've marked which one I think it is in red - see attached image. Is that correct?

That is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Some difference in view already from Ferrybank side

thomasm wrote: »
    Some difference in view already from Ferrybank side

That's great,I can see from the Southside a roof being dismantled, hopefully this is the first step on much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The new bridge across to the north quays is the most important aspect of the project and I hope that once it's built the council get rid of the god awful car park on the quays. Whoever in the history of bureaucratic nonsense thought that a tarmaced car park was a good use for the city's waterfront needs to be taken out and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Where is the new bridge to be located?
    cgcsb wrote: »
    The new bridge across to the north quays is the most important aspect of the project and I hope that once it's built the council get rid of the god awful car park on the quays. Whoever in the history of bureaucratic nonsense thought that a tarmaced car park was a good use for the city's waterfront needs to be taken out and shot.

it appears to be directly continuous with barronstrand st.

http://www.ferrybank.ie/images/WaterfordNorthQuays-UrbanDesignFrameworkPlan.pdf

bullpost wrote: »
    Where is the new bridge to be located?

Ye are prob getting ahead of yourselves there with bridge, there has been computer generated images before but probably a bit away yet.when they are knocked and if some development starts then the bridge will fall into place hopefully.we would need govt support for it...guess about twenty million.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Max Powers wrote: »
    Ye are prob getting ahead of yourselves there with bridge, there has been computer generated images before but probably a bit away yet.when they are knocked and if some development starts then the bridge will fall into place hopefully.we would need govt support for it...guess about twenty million.

Max, is that the estimated cost or the year you expect any government to fund a 3rd bridge for Waterford?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think this 'connection' of the city and ferrybank has massive potential. Can anyone from ferrybank tell me how often they'd wander into town walking? It's not far but having to walk all the way to the Bridge and then all the way bank into the centre of town makes it a lot longer than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I actively avoid walking across the bridge as it is so cold and windy, it would have to be a really fine summers day to tempt me to walk across a footbridge.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I actively avoid walking across the bridge as it is so cold and windy, it would have to be a really fine summers day to tempt me to walk across a footbridge.

Seriously? It's not the arctic it's the sunny south east try living in Galway or crossing the peace bridge in Derry in a howling gale. Do you go outside at all on non-fine summers days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cgcsb wrote: »
    Seriously? It's not the arctic it's the sunny south east try living in Galway or crossing the peace bridge in Derry in a howling gale. Do you go outside at all on non-fine summers days?

I hear what you are saying, and yes, I go out for walks in all most weathers. However I have a notion that the idea of the footbridge would be as much recreational as practical, and if I were going for a walk anywhere I would not consider it a pleasure unless the weather was good. It is not summer all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Closing date for submissions is the end of the month...

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/en/Resident/Planning/North,Quays,Strategic,Development,Zone,SDZ/?platform=hootsuite&utm_content=buffer4e95f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Notice is hereby given that Waterford City and County Council proposes to prepare a Planning Scheme for the North Quays Strategic Development Zone (SDZ)."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I wonder will they vote for a lot of retail space........ now that will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Can anybody submitting say they want buildings to go high, it's a big opportunity which Dublin has half arsed so we should do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Can anybody submitting say they want buildings to go high, it's a big opportunity which Dublin has half arsed so we should do it right.

Generally you can go as high as existing buildings in an area. I presume that will mean the beautiful (!!) building being retained will set the benchmark.

Then watch as people who haven't had a view of the river for 100 years object to their new view being obstructed! This is Ireland after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Generally you can go as high as existing buildings in an area. I presume that will mean the beautiful (!!) building being retained will set the benchmark.

Then watch as people who haven't had a view of the river for 100 years object to their new view being obstructed! This is Ireland after all.

The thing it usually depends on is the price of the land. If it's not cost effective to build up rather than out then you won't go up!

As its designatd a special zone it easy to ensure high buildings are allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I was only answering the question that was asked.

I very much doubt we will see any development on this site for many years to come. We would all love to see some iconic buildings going up over there but what exactly would work economically?

A hotel / conference centre to replace the late lamented Árd Rí would be great and a possible runner but after that we have a massive surplus of office space in town (take a peek around Railway Square if you doubt me) so a large scale office complex is unlikely. Irish people seem to have an innate fear of apartment living with it's service charges, noisy neighbours and lack of garden so I don't see any apartment complexes going there either. Finally there is shopping but considering the City Centre is dead who is going to risk the 9 figure sum necessary?

The pedestrian bridge, which is central to this project to integrate the City Centre, will cost millions just on its own. That is a huge expanse of river to cross and people are going to have to feel safe using it while at the same time not restricting shipping. Would you want to be the developer taking that on or would you wait for others / the Council to build it first?

I am just glad the ugly monstrosities are going. Hopefully there is an economic miracle around the corner that will actually make construction viable. The absolute last thing we need is to accept any old development just for the sake of it. There is plenty of land around for low rise housing, it would be ludicrous to allow it on the Quays.

• Advertisement

I was only answering the question that was asked.

I very much doubt we will see any development on this site for many years to come. We would all love to see some iconic buildings going up over there but what exactly would work economically?

A hotel / conference centre to replace the late lamented Árd Rí would be great and a possible runner but after that we have a massive surplus of office space in town (take a peek around Railway Square if you doubt me) so a large scale office complex is unlikely. Irish people seem to have an innate fear of apartment living with it's service charges, noisy neighbours and lack of garden so I don't see any apartment complexes going there either. Finally there is shopping but considering the City Centre is dead who is going to risk the 9 figure sum necessary?

The pedestrian bridge, which is central to this project to integrate the City Centre, will cost millions just on its own. That is a huge expanse of river to cross and people are going to have to feel safe using it while at the same time not restricting shipping. Would you want to be the developer taking that on or would you wait for others / the Council to build it first?

I am just glad the ugly monstrosities are going. Hopefully there is an economic miracle around the corner that will actually make construction viable. The absolute last thing we need is to accept any old development just for the sake of it. There is plenty of land around for low rise housing, it would be ludicrous to allow it on the Quays.

I'm sure you have some good points but was railway sq not more retail?

As for apartment living, I agree to an extend but if they are big enough they work. Nobody will likely live in one forever but if your young they are perfectly fine.

Office Space size is a big issue and there is no real big space in Waterford to attract companies who may create like 200 jobs etc which you see announced in Dublin every few weeks.

The real problem is lack of work from the IDA outside Cork/Galway/Dublin or the stroke politics which suddenly say hundreds of jobs going to Nenagh because Kelly was going to lose his seat. I don't for a second believe such a company would of set up there.

Advertisement