Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGuire Programme - hope to control my stuttering

Options
  • 11-01-2008 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All,
    I have been a stutter since I was seven (I am now in my 30s), huge issue in my life. I have tried some psychoanalysis (not helpful) and speech therapy (some help), but I am still struggling, especially at work. I am going to attend the McGuire programme in February, but I am quite uncomfortable with the thought of doing it.
    ...but I have to try, I just hope to be able to be in control of my life, finally!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Well done on taking the step to get therapy. Best of luck with it, hope it works out well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

I've signed up for April, Keep us updated on how you get on, And the thought of getting up on a soap box in the middle of limerick and talking is scaring the **** out of me too, Forget the stammer, The thought of standing around for any period of time in Limerick scares me!!:D

Only kidding...before I get another warning!!!!:eek:

Charlie

I've signed up for April, Keep us updated on how you get on, And the thought of getting up on a soap box in the middle of limerick and talking is scaring the **** out of me too, Forget the stammer, The thought of standing around for any period of time in Limerick scares me!!:D

Only kidding...before I get another warning!!!!:eek:

Charlie

Best of luck to you Charlie, hope you really get something out of it and I look forward to the full review here on boards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 little monster

...only 3 1/2 weeks left, what I am really worried about is to be disappointed (again). I have tried three forms of therapy for years, but I can't say that I have tried everything. I used to be overt until 19, and then I switched to covert stuttering with some success for years (with several relapses though).
    People (parents, friends, therapists) kept telling me that I had to accept my stuttering problem, but I never did.
    well, I will keep you posted with any improvements/disappointments during and after the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Hi Little Monster

I did The McGuire Programme when I was 15 (I'm now 24)

I must give it the credit it deserves even though sometimes when I suffer a set back I get disheartened.

I remember going the first day and being so quiet and so nervous and afraid. It was a lot like starting school again for the first time.

The difference it makes though is astounding. I remember on the Saturday standing up in Grafton St and shouting out that I was a recovering Stammerer.

The emotions you feel are amazing - You feel like crying, it's so intense being up there and for the first time in your life being able to public speak and not be afraid.

The support they offer afterwards is great too - They have weekly meetings and you will have your own mentor who will help you in every way they can.

It's a lot to do with the breathing and controlling how you speak.

I promise you that you won't regret it and to continue with the course even if you feel it getting tough. By the Sunday you will be delighted and ready to take on the world.

You will feel like a new man and feel like having a new start in life.

Feel free to mail me if you have any concerns at all as I know the nearer it comes the more worried you will get.

I haven't been in a few years but I may pop along to this February one as I feel I need a little help in getting the technique back.

I do though wish you all the best and hope to see you in February giving it loads

Also Gareth Gates is a great example of someone who succeeded with the course. Seeing him on Dancing On Ice really proves to me with continued practice and determination you can get there

• Advertisement

Anyone see TV3's Ireland AM yesterday morning? Apparently there were 2 people on from the Maguire Programme talking about the upcoming course. I missed it. Would have liked to have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

They might show it again on the 'Best Of' Ireland AM on Saturday!

I just rang TV3! they said that it depends on the volume of stories they'll have by the end of the week. Best bet I think is get as many people as possible to ring them as request that it be shown again!

Phone number below

Contact Numbers:

Ireland am: 01-419-3419

Charlie.

I try again to send this post as the first time it disappeared!

Thanks dublad23 for your post about your experience with the Mcguire programme, hopefully my experience will be as positive as it was for you.
    Is it possible that the technique works mostly for sever stammer? I sometime get really blocked and can't say anything (even if I am not under pressure or anxious), but some other time I am quite fluent.
    I was really impressed when I saw in the late late show the time when Gareth Gates and other two people were interviewed (I sometime watch it on line to cheer me up!), I think it was last October or November.

I have sent an email to Ireland AM requesting to repeat the show again on Saturday, will let you know if I hear anything from them.

Have you seen also "help me to speak", a 50 minutes documentary about three young people with severe stutter (channel 4) ?I get very frustrated and angry to see how these young people struggle every single day and their dreams and opportunities in life will be affected by their speech impediment.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-485913265308369771&q=stutter+documentary&total=24&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Thanks for the link Little, really was a great video that, I hadn't seen it before. Hope you get on well with the McGuire course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Shig

Hey people

I didnt do the course but i did buy one of the books from amazon called 'beyond stammering' from the mcguire program.
    I did this about 6 months ago and it has completely changed my life.
    I did 11 interviews in London during December and I aced them all whereas before I would have been seriously struggling to get the words out. I got my number one and am off next week!
    This is due to this book, buy it!!
    Best €12 you will ever spend...

Great forum, I always thought I was the only one until I looked into stammering. You can do it too. Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collied

stammering has been an issue for me all my life.I'm 35 now and have been coping with the problem all my life. I haven't beaten it but I've controlled it to a point where IT DOESN'T CONTROL ME...... That was a HUGE turning point in my life, not letting my speech control me. It used to control my actions ,my thoughts, my emotions , my social life, EVERYTHING. I bet this sounds familiar to everybody in this thread....... I've learned how to not let the stutter beast influence me when i speak..... All those programs like the Maguire program are very good, although i cant see how forcing people to stand up in public places and shout at strangers is a good thing ....going into a shop and asking the assistant for an item used to terrify me... something that simple.. Using basic breathing control before you speak and slowing down your speech is an integral part of gaining control of your speech. A huge gulp of air isn't needed just a short intake of breath before you say a word that you KNOW you will get stuck on is a way to beat the stutter beast. it works for me and I've given evidence in court in numerous cases and I've had interviews for promotions and got through them... BREATHING IS KEY... PROPER BREATH CONTROL IS PARAMOUNT.. If anybody wants to talk to me about my way of coping with stuttering or stammering PM me and I'll Give you my number and we can chat about it.

...only 3 1/2 weeks left, what I am really worried about is to be disappointed (again). I have tried three forms of therapy for years, but I can't say that I have tried everything. I used to be overt until 19, and then I switched to covert stuttering with some success for years (with several relapses though).
    People (parents, friends, therapists) kept telling me that I had to accept my stuttering problem, but I never did.
    well, I will keep you posted with any improvements/disappointments during and after the programme.

Did your parents,friends, therapists etc have a stutter???????? NO ,I would say is the answer....SO THEY HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT....... WHERE DID THIS OVERT AND COVERT STUTTERING thing come from???? Does this mean you hid your speech from people?? USING WORDS YOU KNEW YOU WOULDN'T GET STUCK ON?????? What does this say??? That you let your speech impediment control you and how you speak? You must be comfortable in how you speak to allow yourself to accept that you have attended 3 courses and its THEIR FAULT you have "relapses"!!!!!!!!! what the **** are relapses??Either you can talk or you cant.STUTTERING IS IRRELEVANT.... AND THE SOONER YOU REALISE THAT..... THE QUICKER YOU WON'T HAVE TO HIDE YOUR SPEECH FROM PEOPLE........

collied wrote: »
    Did your parents,friends, therapists etc have a stutter???????? NO ,I would say is the answer....SO THEY HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT....... WHERE DID THIS OVERT AND COVERT STUTTERING thing come from???? Does this mean you hid your speech from people?? USING WORDS YOU KNEW YOU WOULDN'T GET STUCK ON?????? What does this say??? That you let your speech impediment control you and how you speak? You must be comfortable in how you speak to allow yourself to accept that you have attended 3 courses and its THEIR FAULT you have "relapses"!!!!!!!!! what the **** are relapses??Either you can talk or you cant.STUTTERING IS IRRELEVANT.... AND THE SOONER YOU REALISE THAT..... THE QUICKER YOU WON'T HAVE TO HIDE YOUR SPEECH FROM PEOPLE........

collied - please refrain from typing in capitals, it gives the impressions you are shouting. There is no need for that on this forum. Please respect what little monster is saying. That has been his experience with his stutter. You stutter yourself so you should know the sensitivity that surrounds it.
    Thank you.

stephen p wrote: »
    collied - please refrain from typing in capitals, it gives the impressions you are shouting. There is no need for that on this forum. Please respect what little monster is saying. That has been his experience with his stutter. You stutter yourself so you should know the sensitivity that surrounds it.
    Thank you.

sorry didnt know that about the capitals thing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭funky_monkey

just signed up for maguire programme april 08! this is a big step for me and its thanks to this forum i think!:D

just signed up for maguire programme april 08! this is a big step for me and its thanks to this forum i think!:D

Limerick?? see you there if it is!!

Charlie

yep it sure is limerick. coming all the way from wickla! brilliant see you there charlie

collied wrote: »
    STUTTERING IS IRRELEVANT.... AND THE SOONER YOU REALISE THAT..... THE QUICKER YOU WON'T HAVE TO HIDE YOUR SPEECH FROM PEOPLE........

Well Collied, next time you are having a bad day, I would appreciate it if you did not reply to my posts!
    anyway, if stuttering was really irrelevant you wouldn't be reading this board, that's for sure.
    One of the many examples I can think of, just to point out how stuttering is not irrelevant ? in my previous job during my appraisal I was told that I was doing a great job, but I had to change as I was "too emotional" when speaking and that would have given a negative impression on our customers. That was told to me in a very formal way, I explained to my manager that that was part of my character, and she said that I had to change it, that's it, as I was paid for the job. I was not working on a call centre, I was an administrator. that was really painful, I thought that I could just go on in life with my stammer, which is not very severe, but this is not the case. I left that job, but at the same time I can't lie to myself anymore, stuttering is not irrelevant, it affects the type of job you can do, the way people see you (especially if the only job you can find is in business), the career prospects, etc, I know that this is not what some people like to hear, and anyway is only my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭BigPhil

One of the many examples I can think of, just to point out how stuttering is not irrelevant ? in my previous job during my appraisal I was told that I was doing a great job, but I had to change as I was "too emotional" when speaking and that would have given a negative impression on our customers. That was told to me in a very formal way, I explained to my manager that that was part of my character, and she said that I had to change it, that's it, as I was paid for the job. I was not working on a call centre, I was an administrator. that was really painful, I thought that I could just go on in life with my stammer, which is not very severe, but this is not the case. I left that job, but at the same time I can't lie to myself anymore, stuttering is not irrelevant, it affects the type of job you can do, the way people see you (especially if the only job you can find is in business), the career prospects, etc, I know that this is not what some people like to hear, and anyway is only my experience.

I find your post very interesting as I can some-what relate to your situation. I stutter the worst in job interviews and it seems to always effect the out come as I've been to a dozen interviews and I'm still looking for full-time work.

Maybe you could write more about your experince in this thread that I started a few months ago? I know alot of people would be interested in reading your comments.

• Advertisement

Well Little Monster, How did it go?? I must admit I went in town yesterday morning for a recon!! I must have looked like a stalker :cool: walking around watchin for people stopping others making contacts:eek:, just to see what it was like...

I did eventually spot two guys and actually overheard them talking about block releases, I couldn't hang around for the public speaking part but I'm really looking forward to Limerick now...

Charlie

I am back from the McGuire programme in Cork. I am still quite confused and I will need some days to clear my mind. What I can say now is that it is a very stressfull experience, the days are really long, from early in the morning (one day we had to start at 5.45) to late in the evening (around 10 pm). It is at the same time really emotional. On the first day we had to introduce ourselves in front of a video camera and of a large audience. I found it amazing how much all new students changed in only three days. Most of them on the first day were unable to pronounce their name and to say their full address in front of the camera, the same people managed to give a speech in front of a crowded square only three days after. It was really an empowering experience. What I can say is that of the 27 new students, there were only two who were unsure about the course, but not because the technique we were taught is not effective. In fact it is brilliant. The problem is that it does not suit everybody, in the same way. By the way, I am one of the two students! I think that the breathing technique is fantastic, and I will keep practicing it as I can see already some improvements after only five days I have been using it. But I am just unable to use the other tools each student is required to use, such as the deliberate dysfluency. But again, at least 25 out of 27 were enthusiastic about the whole programme, so I think all stutterers should give it a try. It is also great to meet other recovering stutterers, it is a way not to feel isolated, it is great to realise that you are not alone with your stutter. Today was only the day one after the course, so it is too soon to say anything definite. If you have any questions, let me know.

well done little monster! your post was very interesting to read about. thanks for sharing your experience. ;)

Hi All,
    Just a little example of the changes and improvements of a severe stammer in only three days:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4YC3Ozm-U

The goal is to become an eloquent speaker with a lot of practice and patience.
    This is a video posted in youtube by a new student of the Mcguire programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

Could anyone tell me how much the program costs?

Hi, the fees are 1,100 euro for the course, in addition you have to pay for accomodation and food.
    In February I spent 280 euro for the hotel room (single occupancy).

The good thing about this course is that you do not have to pay until the second day. The course started on Wednesday evening and on Friday at 12pm the new students had to decide whether to pay and continue with the course or not to pay and leave . If you decide to leave the course without paying you still need to pay for the accomodation.

It is a lot of money but if it improves your speech I reckon that it is worth it. It is a risk though, the technique did not work for me, but I have to say that it worked for the majority of the new students of this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Hi, the fees are 1,100 euro for the course, in addition you have to pay for accomodation and food.
    In February I spent 280 euro for the hotel room (single occupancy).

I'm pretty sure the 1100 euro covers accomodation aswell. It did when I was on it anyway

I do not know what was the situation when you did the course, but I am sure that now accomodation, transport and meals are not included.
    It is possible to share the room with a graduate so you can save some money and get more support for your speech.

You can also check the Mcguire programme's website to find out what is included in the 1,100 euro:

http://www.stammering.ie/fees.html

I quote from the web site:
    "Included in the fee:
    • Three Day Intensive Course
    • Personal Coach
    • Six Week Follow Up Workbook
    • Lifetime Follow Up Support
    • Course manual “Beyond Stammering”
    • Access to a Support Group in your area
    • Access to Refresher Courses
    • Telephone Support
    • On-Line Support
    • Training Opportunities
    • Life Long Membership

Not included in the fee:- Accommodation, meals and travel costs
    - Support group facilities, such as room hire or coffee facilities. A small contribution (e.g.
    3 to 5) may be requested to cover these running costs."

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

It was definately accomodation included when I did although it was when we were still using Punts!! So obviously they have changed it as you said

Anyway, I'm still involved in it and for what I paid, its been great value. I'm not 'cured' at all but I can control it much better. I've found the technique helps me immensely in public speaking situations moreso than socialising situations talking to certain people

• Advertisement
Advertisement