Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520d

Options
  • 11-01-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Somebody at work has just driven in in a brand spanking new 520d. In your opinions was this a good choice (imagine it cost between 55 & 60k)?, would there have been a saving if she had waited until mid year with the VRT changes? She traded in against a 318 Coupe. Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I would say she doesn't care because it is already worth only 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mattb74 wrote: »
    would there have been a saving if she had waited until mid year with the VRT changes?

Yeah! See the sticky where you will find all the before and after prices. In case of a 520d SE, it retails at €54k now. It will go down to €45k from the first of July. Tax will go down from €588 to just €150 per year. Nobody will want to buy her car in the near future unless it will be priced very cheaply. Did no one tell her about all this? She's just wasted a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Excellent unkel, just what I wanted to hear. never did like her :D

Excellent unkel, just what I wanted to hear. never did like her :D

LOL I was reading something like that between the lines alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Hi all. Somebody at work has just driven in in a brand spanking new 520d. In your opinions was this a good choice (imagine it cost between 55 & 60k)?, would there have been a saving if she had waited until mid year with the VRT changes? She traded in against a 318 Coupe. Thanks all
    Best of luck to her,lovely car.Its her money and her choice and f the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

do people really thing dealers will drop prices of cars that much just because VRT is changing in July. A 9k difference in price is a lot for any market to manage.

My guess would be that distributors/dealers will price cars in or around the same as what they are, but with token 2/3k reductions for higher end cars.

Although I'd be highly impressed if all the savings were passed on to the consumer.

55k for a 2.0 diesel BMW with probably a miserable spec is just a sin.

AlanD wrote: »
    do people really thing dealers will drop prices of cars that much just because VRT is changing in July

Yes. BMW Ireland has already committed to passing on the full saving to the customer. See the sticky!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Funnily enough I was just talking to a friend who is bringing in an '06 520d from London for €37k all in. Pretty well specced from what i can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    Yes. BMW Ireland has already committed to passing on the full saving to the customer. See the sticky!

Fair play.

It will actually make the 520 a fairly priced car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

delly wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was just talking to a friend who is bringing in an '06 520d from London for €37k all in. Pretty well specced from what i can gather.

Do you have any idea what mileage is on it? That seems like a very good price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah! See the sticky where you will find all the before and after prices. In case of a 520d SE, it retails at €54k now. It will go down to €45k from the first of July. Tax will go down from €588 to just €150 per year. Nobody will want to buy her car in the near future unless it will be priced very cheaply. Did no one tell her about all this? She's just wasted a lot of money

i assume its manual :D
    thats not a bad price for a 520d se 45k! what are they like on fuel?
    i think i may get one

the big question now is, what would it cost me to trade in my 07 accord auto type s for one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

the big question now is, what would it cost me to trade in my 07 accord auto type s for one of these?[/quote]

Call to a few main dealers and get a price for July.If you pre order you should be able to avail of all of the vrt reduction as the vrt is not payable until new car is registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

what_car wrote: »
    i assume its manual :D
    thats not a bad price for a 520d se 45k! what are they like on fuel?
    i think i may get one

The official figure is 55.4 mpg for the manual and 50.4 mpg for the Auto. On the Extra Urban cycle it averages 65.7 mpg, FWIW a hybrid Toyota Prius averages 67.3 mpg on the same cycle or just 1.6 mpg more! CO2 is 136 g/km for the manual, so 16% VRT and €150 tax a year and 149 g/km for the Auto, so 20% VRT and €290 road tax a year there!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Do you have any idea what mileage is on it? That seems like a very good price.
    He told me it has 10k miles and is an SE manual without leather, but has xeon headlights.

That explains the low price then. Cars like a 520d need Leather and metallic paint to sell in the used car market. Leather is expected these days in this class of car.

In recent times Autos have also been a necessity, however the new VRT changes may make manuals more valuable once again, as many Autos will cost a lot more relatively speaking to buy(higher VRT rate applies to the whole car and not just the 'box) and will cost more to tax every year as well too, so it certainly remains to be seen how the used car market will react to Autos after July, but in the case where an Auto costs no more to tax under the new VRT scheme than a manual, I would expect Automatics to be still more desirable than their manual counterparts and therefore the same as now applies in these cases(though they are very few, the only ones that spring to mind are the petrol 5 series BMWs) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jkehoe

I am looking at buying a 520D M Sport at the moment and have asked a number of dealers what is going to happen in July. They have all said that the price is the 520D is going to drop by upto 5 or 6k. They all have said that BMW plan to introduce a price increase of a few % in March (semingly they do it every year) which will negate some of the VRT changes. One dealer mentioned that they thought that BMW would add their service inclusive service as part of the base price - in an effort to keep the price up and not damage the second hand market.

Another mentioned that if you bought a pre july car now and plan to trade it in in 3 years it will only be worth the same as a post july car - so will probably lose 5k more than a post july car. According to my maths - the total cost is upto 10k more expensive to buy one pre july over the 3 years (an extra €150 pm in loan repayments over 3 years and the extra 5k less it will be worth to match the price of the post july car)... defo worth waiting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jkehoe

E92... your right, Leather and Auto is expected in a car of that class. The problem (as you pointed out) now is with the VRT changes the auto box becomes about a 7k option on the 520D !!! - we might see a lot more manual 520D's on the market in the next few years ?

jkehoe wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a 520D M Sport at the moment and have asked a number of dealers what is going to happen in July. They have all said that the price is the 520D is going to drop by upto 5 or 6k. They all have said that BMW plan to introduce a price increase of a few % in March (semingly they do it every year) which will negate some of the VRT changes. One dealer mentioned that they thought that BMW would add their service inclusive service as part of the base price - in an effort to keep the price up and not damage the second hand market

BMW Ireland have already said that the VRT savings will be passed on in full to the consumer, or if they aren't, there will be a very good reason, namely the fact that their cars now have more equipment as standard, so if the full saving isn't passed on, it will be self evident why it wasn't.

BMW have already standardised the pre tax prices of their cars, so it's not like they are "subsidising" their cars specially for the Irish market, unlike other car makers who haven't and doubtless seize the opportunity in July to standardise them so thereby preventing the full VRT saving being passed on.

Advertisement