Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from accommodation agency

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I, along with my four housemates, have just recieved a letter from the agency in control of our apartment saying that we have 28 days to move out, that we are getting evicted. I am, at this early stage, presuming the reason for eviction is that the landlord intends to sell the place, as we have not caused any major trouble or given any major reason otherwise for eviciton.

Here's the part I'm curious about - I have been a tennant here since October 2005, therefore, over 2 years. Should I not be given more than 28 days notice? Am I being treated unfairly?

Any help much appreciated folks, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Notice period for over 2 years, but under 3 years is 56 days.

Link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

It sounds like you have received invalid notice from the agent. 28 days is too little notice given the length of time you have been there and it should also clearly state the reason why the lease is being terminated. Get in touch with Threshold or the PRTB about this. I think that they will tell you that you can ignore this letter for the moment, but whenever the agency turns up or gets in touch again you need to inform them that they have served you with invalid notice. They will then have to go back, redraft the notice and send it to you again. Your notice period will start from the redrafted one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Afuera wrote: »
    It sounds like you have received invalid notice from the agent. 28 days is too little notice given the length of time you have been there and it should also clearly state the reason why the lease is being terminated. Get in touch with Threshold or the PRTB about this. I think that they will tell you that you can ignore this letter for the moment, but whenever the agency turns up or gets in touch again you need to inform them that they have served you with invalid notice. They will then have to go back, redraft the notice and send it to you again. Your notice period will start from the redrafted one.

Good advice -- simply let the agency know they've served an invalid notice and leave it at that. Let them go figure it out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are also entitled to know why you are being evicted. Yes, intention to sell is a valid reason, but they need to say that.

Advertisement