Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clear indicator lenses why?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last couple of days I've noticed a lot more cars flashing white indicators because the orange plastic has failed on their indicators. Why did car manufactures move away from orange lenses to clear ones, as it can't cost that much more to make them orange. It's also very wastefull as people are forced to dump perfectly good bulbs to pass the NCT. If you take into account the amount of cars sold worldwide and the fact that most countries have a roadworthiness test then there most be millions of good bulbs dumped ever year to pass these tests. It can't be very good for the enviroment

My last car had orange lenses and clear bulbs, in the 10 years I had it I never had to change a bulb and I assume they where the same ones it was made with. But now when I go for my next NCT I'll more then likely have to change working bulbs to pass it. Is this a way for manufactures to support bulb makers by forcing people to replace working bulbs now that they have sorted the electrics in cars and they don't blow bulbs as much?

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I guess they thought they'd look cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think in recent times they are now putting an orange cover inside the clear cover so that normal bulbs can be used. I also believe that there are bulbs available that are silver in appearance but emit a distinct orange light, they don't suffer from the same flaking as the orange ones.
    Anyone know of examples of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

An orange bulb costs €1!

I know because I bought the other day! In fact I bought 10 of them... which will see the car out, and is still less than a decent lunch in the middle of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's mainly cause they look better. On certain colour cars the orange lights at the side look crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

know someone who took a volvo in for its first nct to be told his orange plastic wasnt orange enough bulbs are cheaper to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maidhc wrote: »
    An orange bulb costs €1!

I know because I bought the other day! In fact I bought 10 of them... which will see the car out, and is still less than a decent lunch in the middle of the day!

On my last car I never had to replace a bulb, the original one will out last it. And most people I know never replace bulbs unless they blow. Where is the sense in replacing a good one.
    know someone who took a volvo in for its first nct to be told his orange plastic wasnt orange enough bulbs are cheaper to change

And how many people have failed the NCT for bulbs as compared to lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Del2005 wrote: »
    On my last car I never had to replace a bulb, the original one will out last it. And most people I know never replace bulbs unless they blow. Where is the sense in replacing a good one.

One blew! I just bought the box to save me the hassle of going and getting them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

me on 2 cars our nct centre went through a phase of failing everyone for bulbs not orange enough ! make of that what you will, dont seem to do it as much now. i cant see the point as if i see a car witha flashing light on the corner i know its an indicator, caant be anything else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Orange lenses don't look nice on most cars (they do an a few tho).

Paint flaking off bulbs is because the bulbs are poor quality.. probably made in China or Afghanistan etc.

Have never had paint flake off a Stanley bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think in recent times they are now putting an orange cover inside the clear cover so that normal bulbs can be used. I also believe that there are bulbs available that are silver in appearance but emit a distinct orange light, they don't suffer from the same flaking as the orange ones.
    Anyone know of examples of these?

Yeah, I have them in mine. They're pretty good - they apparently last a long time, and they remove the fried egg look you get with an orange bulb in a clear lense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Also have them in mine the are philips silver vision a great bulb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I blame the NCT crowd for that, not the manufacturers... I mean the wrong shade of orange... for feck sake!

"Oh look, that car has a flashing orange light on the left, he must be turning left... oh wait, no... that's a slightly different shade of orange, it must be something else..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Biro wrote: »
    I blame the NCT crowd for that, not the manufacturers... I mean the wrong shade of orange... for feck sake!

"Oh look, that car has a flashing orange light on the left, he must be turning left... oh wait, no... that's a slightly different shade of orange, it must be something else..."

I'm not complaining about the wrong shade of orange. I'm complaining about the sh!tty OEM bulbs that wear out after a couple of years and flash white. The laws are pretty clear, indicators have to be orange. If the manufactures want the cars to look good why not use the bulbs that Rebal.Ranter was talking about instead of cheap plastic covered ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah as said by others, orange bulbs looks oldf ashioned on most modern cars. they look good on the old cars but dont suit most newer ones.,
    I suppose you could get LED ones and you wont have any worries about the colour fading., theres a little more work in fidding LEDs though.,

Advertisement