Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protocol

Options
  • 11-01-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

As I cycled in to work this morning, two pedestrians - a couple - stepped out in front of me without looking. It was a narrow street so I had to brake and then cycle really slowly until there was room to pass. The bloke then spotted me and said "Sorry, mate, sorry". I cycled on without a word. A second later he hissed "I acknowledged yeh, yeh ignorant c*nt."

Was he just lashing out because I hadn't taken the opportunity to assuage his guilt? Or was I omitting some important point of protocol e.g. a Letter Of Acknowledgment For Apologies Proferred...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

As I cycled in to work this morning, two pedestrians - a couple - stepped out in front of me without looking. It was a narrow street so I had to brake and then cycle really slowly until there was room to pass. The bloke then spotted me and said "Sorry, mate, sorry". I cycled on without a word. A second later he hissed "I acknowledged yeh, yeh ignorant c*nt."

Was he just lashing out because I hadn't taken the opportunity to assuage his guilt? Or was I omitting some important point of protocol e.g. a Letter Of Acknowledgment For Apologies Proferred...?

I usually say "Alright" when someone apologises for something, that way you don't accept their apology per se, nor do you admit any guilt yourself. It's just "alright", not a problem, let's forget about it and carry on. If possible, I'll throw out an acknowledging wave of some fashion. I think that's enough.

Also, you can't pay too much attention to anything anyone says at morning rush hour, nobody's really in their right mind at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I usually say "Alright" when someone apologises for something, that way you don't accept their apology per se, nor do you admit any guilt yourself. It's just "alright", not a problem, let's forget about it and carry on. If possible, I'll throw out an acknowledging wave of some fashion. I think that's enough.

Also, you can't pay too much attention to anything anyone says at morning rush hour, nobody's really in their right mind at that time.

second that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Yeah, that's what I'd normally do, and it's the generous response, I reckon. I just don't think anyone has any business expecting it. Strikes me as very Irish to assume an apology automatically warrants absolution or something. (That bloody confessional has a lot to answer for...)

Anyway, you make a valid point: all symptoms of the decline of civilisation should be summarily ignored between the hours of 7.30am and 9am.

Well, I have a pre-prepared rant about how Dubliners say “sorry” to everything, all the time. If someone holds a door open for you they say “Sorry” and “Thanks”. WTF like? Also, people think saying “sorry” gives them carte blanche.
    Hence, the word “sorry” has no meaning. You might as well say “WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG” instead.
    This chap you’re talking about, he says sorry twice, then he calls you a **** two seconds later. That’s just mental like.

Non-dubliners point this out to me all the time. Stop saying sorry for everything yee jackeens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

He was displeased because you didn't respond when he spoke to you. No great mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Well, I have a pre-prepared rant about how Dubliners say “sorry” to everything, all the time. If someone holds a door open for you they say “Sorry” and “Thanks”. WTF like? Also, people think saying “sorry” gives them carte blanche.
    Hence, the word “sorry” has no meaning. You might as well say “WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG” instead.
    This chap you’re talking about, he says sorry twice, then he calls you a **** two seconds later. That’s just mental like.

Non-dubliners point this out to me all the time. Stop saying sorry for everything yee jackeens!

I thought that was an Irish thing rather than a Dublin thing.

Nah, it's definitely a Dublin thing.

Certainly a "middle class" or southsider thing.

Sorry.

Being "displeased" is one thing. Calling someone a c*nt is another!
    Morgan wrote: »
    He was displeased because you didn't respond when he spoke to you. No great mystery.

Your posts have now taken on a country accent. I'm hearing Cork. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement

Roscommon sorry, thanks.

you cnut.

I forgive you. Say three Hail Maries and a How's Your Father.
    Roscommon sorry, thanks.

you cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

yea sorry too,

no, i mean WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG :D:D

"I'm very WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG for your loss"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well I dunno what happened this morning, but I had not one but two polite (lady) motorists allowing me to pass on the left before they turned. I couldn't believe that many drivers actually used the left wing mirror, much less yield to a cyclist. So impressed, I gave them both a polite little wave as I passed as I reasoned such courtesy warrants positive reinforcement.

And, just to be sure, I mouthed "WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG" in case they thought I didn't mean it...

Last night a motorist said sorry to me as I had to slow down as he did a three point turn. He sounded like he really meant it, so I gave him the obligatory "a'rightnowurries" as I passed. I mean, he rolled down his window and everything.

But calling someone a cnut for non-ackowledgment is a bit deranged.

Sorry.

Thanks.

WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

WTF like?
    That’s just mental like.

Sorry, but stop saying "like" for everything. ;) Like, sorry. WUPPA WUPPA JINGY JONG.

Advertisement