Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Tralee this wkend - advice?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Hi myself and the missus (were both early to mid twenties) are going down to Tralee for the wkend. Any pubs/clubs/restaurants youd recommend?

And also, general "things to do" aswell would be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055189492 or jus the general Kerry Thread... you'll probably get more feedback there...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Dont forget your geansaí!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hit the Aquadome:D
    Bout 15 years since i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont forget your passport.
    get your money changed at the border
    bring a credit card in case you cant use the ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

i had something else but the post above sort of "takes " away from it

edit: it's not the WWM comment

• Advertisement

Oh and don't be surprised if cavity searches are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Hi myself and the missus (were both early to mid twenties) are going down to Tralee for the wkend. Any pubs/clubs/restaurants youd recommend?

Yeah, I recommend not going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 UBMusic

Best nightclubs are Horen's and Fabric. Best late bar is the Abbey. The Roundy is a new pub, kind of hard to find and small but really nice. If you have a car do the ring of Kerry. I always like going up to Ballybunnion if the weather's good, the cliffs and castle are nice. Also Crag Cave in Killarney can be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

-Freebird- wrote: »
    Yeah, I recommend not going!

ROFL :D

do you hear the pitter patter of Cham's "defensive" feet?? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think it's a real waste to go to Kerry and stay in Tralee - I went to the coast and had a ball.
    You may get some ideas from my thread

I mentioned Doyles restaurant in it. I went and wasn't overly impressed. There's a couple of much nicer ones down the street nearer the coast.
    Can't remember the name of the street but I believe the church is on it half way up the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moved to Kerry forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wildgazelle

Tralee is a great spot!!!bars i would recommend.The Blasket,Hartys/Ruairis/sean ogs,Night clubs,forget horans f u r over 25,Fabric is good!The Deacon is the new place,would suggest checking out the bar in the deacon as well,fairly liveliy on a saturday night!!Restaurants...i would suggest finegans(bit pricey but great food)Gallys(steak sandwich really good!)there is also alot of chinkys and indian places as well..Enjoy Tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Bring lots of vasaline... You'll know why when it happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You're not in After Hours now, ladies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

UBMusic wrote: »
    Also Crag Cave in Killarney can be fun.

Castleisland, excuse you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

We had a fantastic meal in Finnegans Restaurant in Tralee on New Years Eve. Very friendly staff fitted us in without a reservation, great atmosphere, fab food, not expensive. It's near the Ashe Memorial Hall. If you get time take a drive out to Dingle and go to Paudi's in the Dingle Bay Hotel for lunch. The Conor Pass Drive is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd go straight to Killarney tbh - Tralee is a bit of a ****hole.

If you are going out in tralee though, avoid the bullring and any and all pubs/clubs near ITT or FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

jimi_t wrote: »

If you are going out in tralee though, avoid the bullring and any and all pubs/clubs near ITT or FAS.

A bit harsh coming from someone who lives in the park with the ducks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tralee is an ugly town. Go to Killarney. Much more to see for scenery, and much better nightlife on the weekends (Tralee would beat it mid-week with the students though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

SetantaL wrote: »
    Tralee is an ugly town.

Bit harsh, no need to come along and insult the locals :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Tralee is a good town to spend a weekend or a week in. Like all large towns, late night street activities are on the up so excercise caution! However, saying that it depends on the type of pub entertainment you want. Someone suggested The Abbey - great if you like loud music etc. If not, try Hartys Bar on the Main Street - easy to miss, as its entrance is narrow!!! If you want a very quiet pint, Jess McCarthy's probably one of the oldest pubs in the town and family run! Rory's Pub in The Square (centre of town) is a young people's pub and quite good.
    With regard to places to eat, I would higly recommend Vals - not far from the Abbey Inn or if you want to venture out of town, about 2 miles, try the Oyster bar and restuarant (fish a speciality). The Meadowlands Hotel which is on the Listowel Road out of Tralee is very good for food and got the Georgina Campbell award for best fish dishes etc. etc. Also, it has music in the bar. Depending on where you are staying, it is about 20 minute walk from town centre.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

jimi_t wrote: »

There are no pubs/clubs near the north campus or FAS..:cool:

Checkout the Deacon, that is my favourite pub at the moment (where Benner's used to be near St JOhn's church). For food: try the Cooperage next door to that, or if you Italian Il Pomodoro up by the Brandon hotel. Ballygarry hotel outside the town is great for food as well, and nice atmosphere out there, just dont go for Sunday lunch there, too packed and the quality of the food isnt as good at Sunday lunch.

Re the Meadowlands, the food in the restaurant is good, but dont eat in the bar, its horrific.

Enjoy your stay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Aside from all the trendy pubs/restaurants mentioned, I must say as a frequent visitor to Tralee over the last ten years or so, It would be remiss of me not to give an honourable mention to 'The Town and Country' Bar - a sublime place for a lively chat and a bit of grub and the owner, Eamonn, is never without a view or opinion on whatever matter is doing the rounds at the moment of discussion - It's right in the centre of town so ye can't miss it - Another pub which I only happened upon on the day of the 2002 All-Ireland (The Armagh game...) is a back street establishment called 'The Crosty Bar' - seemed like a clannish enough crew but once the drink kicked in and the shock of a losing All-Ireland wore off, twas a grand and merry place to be, plus it is slightly off the beaten track (It's not a kick in the arse away from The Abbey Hotel) - I revisited 'The Crosty Bar' a couple of years later on the day Galway beat Kilkenny in a goalfest of a Hurling All-Ireland and I got talking to a man who bred whippets in his spare time - a gentleman who just so happened to have two of his furry friends sitting astride the mahoghany table - that's the kind of place it is - relaxed and atmospheric...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

My advice would be-1. Eating-Tequilas(a sweet mexican restaurant down a lane of penneys!!)-2.Pubs-Ballymac bar(bit of a local but nice guinness,good pool tables and an allroond good place to warm up)-The Mall(bit of a posers paradise though does the job)and finally 3.Niteclub-Fabric(known locally as 'tradgic' your run of the mill club,upstairs for da over 25s and down stairs hip hop and dance,The i=other club Horans is best avoided as wkends coz its deserted only good thurs nites when da students are taking a well deserved break!!)

There u go dude wkend sorted

Personal opinion only, but I think Tequilas is mank! Sorry! just dont like the food there at all. Doesnt even resemble real mexican food tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

Fair enough,The couple of times ive eaten there ive ad steak and its been scrumptious though how it related to mexico i dont know:D...well it hit the spot!!

Advertisement