Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ11 - RJ45 cable

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Moved into a new apt. this week and trying to setup the network. I need to run a cable from the DSL splitter to my modem/router which is about 30 meters away. Purchased a 30m CAT5 cable yesterday evening only to discover that the connection on the router/modem is of an RJ11 type. Looking at the original cable that came with it, there is an RJ11 connector on the modem side and an RJ45 connector on the splitter side.

What would be the best way to go from here?
    Purchase a normal phone extension cable and stick the RJ11 into the RJ45 port on the splitter? Would this cable to OK as it would the easiest to do?
    Can I go somewhere and get someone to replace one of the RJ45 connectors with an RJ11 connector?
    Can I get an RJ45 to RJ11 adaptor so that I can plug it straight into the modem?
    Or would I be best to purchase a 30m cable with an RJ11 on one end and an RJ45 on the other, if it's possible to even find such cable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Weird, the router should have an RJ11for direct plugin to your phone sys. Anyway if you made one all you have to do is look at the cable supplied with it and see which pins are being used, crimp a new one and yer done.

RJ45 can be used for telecoms, it's actually a better quality cable but usually only uses 2 wires.

http://wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5/default.htm
    May help but google how to do it and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thanks. I probably didn't explain it too well. I have a DSL splitter box that plugs directly into the existing telephone connection. On the splitter box are 2 ports, one for the phone and one for the modem. The port on the splitter box for the modem is an RJ45 type. The port on the back of the modem is an RJ11 type. There was a cable supplied with the modem that has RJ45 on one end and RJ11 on the other end, however it's too short for my current apartment setup.

Would using a normal tel. extension cable (RJ11 both ends) be ok to replace this cable, plugging the RJ11 connector into the RJ45 port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

jester77 wrote: »
    Would using a normal tel. extension cable (RJ11 both ends) be ok to replace this cable, plugging the RJ11 connector into the RJ45 port?

It will kinda work , it should be easy to find someone to crimp on an RJ45 connector for you though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bushy... wrote: »
    It will kinda work , it should be easy to find someone to crimp on an RJ45 connector for you though

When you say kinda work, do you mean there would be technical/quality issues and I would receive a poorer connection speed? Or are you just referring to plugging the RJ11 into the RJ45 port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The Cat5 cable is likely to be far higher quality than any regular phone cable you get.

If you want things really easy - go buy a long phone cable (just make sure the cable is twisted). The rj11 plug will fit into the RJ45 socket on your DSL splitter just fine.

If you want to keep the Cat5 the you have 2 options...

1) You will need someone to crimp an rj11 plug on the modem end.

Just keep in mind that pin 1 on an rj11 plug is actually pin 3 on an rj45 plug... so make sure you get your colours right :)
    RJ45  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
    RJ11        1  2  3  4

2) Or if you can get your hands on an RJ45 coupler - you could couple a short rj11 cable onto the end of your Cat5 and your done with no crimping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

jester77 wrote: »
    Thanks. I probably didn't explain it too well. I have a DSL splitter box that plugs directly into the existing telephone connection. On the splitter box are 2 ports, one for the phone and one for the modem. The port on the splitter box for the modem is an RJ45 type. The port on the back of the modem is an RJ11 type. There was a cable supplied with the modem that has RJ45 on one end and RJ11 on the other end, however it's too short for my current apartment setup.

yes rj11 in to rj45 will be fine.. at the other end crimp an rj11 on to the blue and blue white (4 and 5).. and that's it..

Would have been sorted if you bought a 30mt telephone cable insted of 30 mt patch cable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

JohnieM has it on the nose, the only problem when u crimp to cat5e with an RJ11 is that it is more fragile than if you crimp to stranded cable. Cat5e is a solid core cable and as such it will not take the bending and twisting a stranded cable will. So just keep an eye on movement and wear and tear. The ultimate connection is standard stranded 2 or 4 core cable with rj11, next best option is cat5e connected to two sockets and then using 2 rj11 patch leads, this is industry stuff though and not needed in domestic.

Best of luck

Advertisement