Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I cant shift my Beemer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can't exactly be described as priced to sell really. The only similar one to yours that's more expensive (and only just) is in Keary's BMW. Have got a trade-in price yet? Prepare to be shocked if you wasnt over 30k for it.

Private sale for this car should be in the high twenties. My dad sold his E9- ('06 318D SE saloon) this time last year for not much more than that, although it was a bit of a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Pittabang wrote: »
    HI,
    any thoughts on 2nd hand car market at the moment? Is it totally dried up with SSIA money all gone? I cant sell my car that's been on Carzone for about 2 months. Not even 1 phone call. I don't think its priced too high? Thoughts ?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=780322

I dont think you will probably get much internest at the moment, mainly being caused by the new VRT rules that come in to effect July 2008. I might be interested if you droped the price by half ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's the second highest priced 04 reg 318 coupe on carzone, garages are selling similar metal for less
    €32k is very big money for any private sale, most private sales are probably sub €10k because people really want warranties to protect their purchace above that
    Second hand purchasers are usually dormant until february / march until they feel they'll have the full choice of the new years trade in's

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

far too expensive, garage prices are inflated to account for people with trade ins, buying straight normally saves 7-10% plus you get a service and warranty, id revisit the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Thoughts ?

Yes. Nice car. Too dear. Here's the same car for over 6 grand less off a dealer? And there's even a few silver one's lower. Your car is the 2nd dearest 2004 as pointed out above. Why would anyone buy your car? I appreciate your car has less miles and more fancy bits, but people won't pay 6 grand for that. Maybe 1 or 2 grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Very difficult to sell motors private the last year or so. I traded in my 04 320D M sport a few months ago as i couldnt sell it. Got 30K for it which wasnt bad considering i paid 34K for it a year previously. I think your car is priced reasonabe enough but that means nothing and if you want to sell it quick then you will have to drop the price im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Yes. Nice car. Too dear. Here's the same car for over 6 grand less off a dealer? And there's even a few silver one's lower. Your car is the 2nd dearest 2004 as pointed out above. Why would anyone buy your car? I appreciate your car has less miles and more fancy bits, but people won't pay 6 grand for that. Maybe 1 or 2 grand...

I think the m sports pack makes a real difference to the look but I do agree 6 grand is a lot to pay for the extra styling. I bought an 02 318 ci Mtek recently for 19,000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd definitely label it overpriced. even if you had a receipt for every oil change and bottle of son of a gun. There's no telling if any of the others might have the M-Sports kit and not be labelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

HI,
    any thoughts on 2nd hand car market at the moment? Is it totally dried up with SSIA money all gone? I cant sell my car that's been on Carzone for about 2 months. Not even 1 phone call. I don't think its priced too high? Thoughts ?

2004 318s go from UK£10k (~€13k) now. The highest price on usedcars.ie/carzone is €42k, but the vast majority are from ~€20k-34k. Your BMW is priced at the high end of this price range and there are loads to choose from for a buyer.

If you haven't had a viewer in 2 months, then it's either the car or the price. The market is telling you that the price you are asking is way off the mark. For example, there is a 318 2004 model from the UK for sale for just over €14k ex VRT which is around €7k, significantly undercutting your price.

At the end of the day, your used car is worth what someone will pay, not what you want it to be (unfortunately for us all)!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

I think you have all confirmed my fears that it must be over priced. Thanks for the comments :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

HI,

You should link it in the motor forum in Boards.ie

Oh wait...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I'd say people would rather go to the UK to get a higher spec car , for less money .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What did these cost new?

Fab car btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=861594

One in Keanes for 29k with leather and sunroof. If you REALLY want to shift it, its got to be the cheapest. Money talks etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=802742

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That 318Ci is a high spec(by Irish standards) in fairness, climate control, auto dimming rear view mirrror, large alloys and a multifunction steering wheel, not many Irish spec 318s had that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

With the current exchange rate, the UK is a very good option at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The rule of thumb on any 2nd hand car is that fancy extras make it easier / faster to sell rather than inflating the price. Given a choice between 2 cars at (say) 20k, one with base spec and one with twiddly bits the punter will go for teh twiddly bits. Ask the punter to choose between 2 cars, one base model at 20k and one with twiddly bits at 25k and teh cheaper car wins every single time.

I've sold a couple of classic cars on Carzone in the last 6 months and it's dog eat dog. Most people seem to set a search, sort it by price and only look at the cheapest few, if you're not in the lower third of the price band then it seems like very few real potential buyers look at the ad. With something like a BMW 318 there are so many out there that it's hard to differentiate your car from everyone elses so simply leaving it up for months on end won't really get you any further forward.

How did you fix the price, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The rule of thumb on any 2nd hand car is that fancy extras make it easier / faster to sell rather than inflating the price. Given a choice between 2 cars at (say) 20k, one with base spec and one with twiddly bits the punter will go for teh twiddly bits. Ask the punter to choose between 2 cars, one base model at 20k and one with twiddly bits at 25k and teh cheaper car wins every single time.
    That's exactly it. Yet people keep recommending to people on here who are buying brand new cars to spend €4k and up on extra's cause "you'll never resell the base spec", which is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Beautiful car.

People dont like paying others E10k for bringing their car over from England for them. A couple of grand, maybe.

I would value your car at about E25k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

I agree on the 25k mark. 32.5k is just dream territory. To put in in context I traded a top spec 04 325 coupe last year for 37k, which was a great trade in price then. Your car is a year older and less valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If you really wanna sell it quickly you'll need to ask (suckin air through teeth) about 27000 TOPS! The price you're asking would get you a super desireable 320d coupe with all the extras.
    Have you considered that you can't offer themind peace of a warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Put in in for 25 and see if you get any calls. If you do, but don't wanna sell just tell callers it's already sold, 5 mins earlier. The put it up to 26 and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

remember it has had 2 owners aswell, so you should defo be looking for a bit less, most people would buy a decent new car now instead of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

delly wrote: »
    With the current exchange rate, the UK is a very good option at the moment.

It sure is. I intend buying sterling asap to take advantage of that. Hope to take advantage of the new tax regime in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Would you believe that the main AIB in Limerick ran out of STg this week? I wanted £9K cash to (surprise surprise) buy a car. They couldn't do that when I rang in 2 days in advance so the vendor agreed to take euros. So I called in the day I travelled to get £1,000 and they litterlayy didn't have a pound in the place. The teller said that everyone is off to the UK buying cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bugger, I'll have to get down there first thing Monday so.

I reckon 20k will get me £15k which is none too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

dropped the price to 29.9K and still nothing. Friend of mine selling a Pan bike too and no bites either - rekon the markets in a slump

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Mad idea but this worked for me. The E36 coupe was for sale for 3 months. Not one phone call. Changed my address on carzone from Laois to Dublin. The car was sold within the week. The car was priced to sell also.

I guess Dubs don't like leaving the pale. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, a real slump. Trying to shift a motor myself at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

dropped the price to 29.9K and still nothing. Friend of mine selling a Pan bike too and no bites either - rekon the markets in a slump

There's no slump - there's loads of cash out there in the year post ssia cash being paid out and not a lot of it spent last year. Soft credit is still easy to get.

Its just there's loads of metal out there for sale. And I mean LOADS!

Advertisement