Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invite to an Audio Event in Dublin.

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I'll preface this post by saying I'm a Pro Audio Dealer.
    However I hope that the benefits to the board members will outweigh the fact I'm trying to make a living!!

Audio Warehouse is holding a Free Open Recording Day at Westland Studio in Dublin 2. Monday January 28th

At it we have Jim Motley from SSL with his whole X-Rack range plugged up for you to try and Ian Downes from PMC monitors who will have his range of monitors.

Westland is an SSL room on Lombard Street.

It's starting a 1pm and it'll be very informal. Stick your head in if you're passing even if it's only to see a Pro Studio if you've not experienced one! You might even get a cup of Tea...

Do let me know if you'd like to attend so I have an idea of numbers.
    It'll be worth it for the Networking alone!!

Cheers P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

1pm today??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Sorry!! Monday January 28th!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Hey Paul, welcome to Boards! Don't know if you remember, was down with you in Audio Warehouse a month or so ago with Frank from SALT, took away a Manley stereo compressor and Distressor to try out. Probably shouldn't remind you because we don't want to give them back! ;)

I'll pop down to this anyway, sounds interesting, might see you there.

I do indeed! I've sent F.X. a couple of subtle texts re Comps! It's all good though! F.X. is a good man.
    Hopefully we'll see you down there. These things are usually of benefit in a business, social and Geekery way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Any PA gear or just studio stuff?

• Advertisement

Just Studio I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I'd be interested in going. No idea where westland studio is though.

WESTLAND STUDIOS
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif] 5 / 6 LOMBARD STREET
    DUBLIN 2
    IRELAND
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]TEL 353-1-6779762 / 6793364
    FAX 353-1-6710421
    Email
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]westland@indigo.ie[/FONT]

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    WESTLAND STUDIOS
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif] 5 / 6 LOMBARD STREET
    DUBLIN 2
    IRELAND
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]TEL 353-1-6779762 / 6793364
    FAX 353-1-6710421
    Email
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]westland@indigo.ie[/FONT]

www.Westlandstudios.ie

I was thinking about adding an Acoustician (www.munro.co.uk) to our little show - anybody any opinions on that - would any of you be interested?

• Advertisement

I think there'd be interest. On this board anyway there's regularly threads asking for advice on home studio acoustic treatment/sound proofing, it's a pretty popular subject. Also one that has alot of misconceptions and myths surrounding it! So anybody with some expertise on the matter to chat to can only be a good thing. Gets my vote anyway.

Indeed, I feel the same. I know that I know a good lot through experience but also that I know nothing really, when it come to Acoustics.

We hooked up with Munro last year to help us fill in the blanks and are working on 3 proposed projects.

Munro is also working on U2's new gaff.

Chris Wall , Munro's man is checking his diary as we speak .... Hopefully I'll have news by this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey just wanted to say anyone interested in recording and studios should definitely go along to this. westland were kind enough to let my class from college in for a session earlier this week and its a quality studio, great to see somewhere still fully equipped with 24 track tape and a 1/2 inch studer for mixing down! i saw a powermac box in a corner somewhere but apart from that no protools in site:)

easiest way to find it is to look for mahaffys pub on the corner of pearse st. and westland row, then go down the little lane just beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

ogy wrote: »
    h! i saw a powermac box in a corner somewhere but apart from that no protools in site:)

easiest way to find it is to look for mahaffys pub on the corner of pearse st. and westland row, then go down the little lane just beside it.

My Pro Tools rig will be there for the day:D You didn't mention though that Westland has an Otari Radar, much faster to use on a session than pro tools IMO. Deirdre will arrange transfers to P.Tools etc. if you want.

Hi Paul I see you got your email so...

Good Ole StudioRodent's rig will be there complete with his wonderful Apogees.

Any of you guys who'd like to take in your own PT Session please do. I always invite people to do this but generally everyone's too Chicken!

It's generally considered that Radar is superior sounding to standard PT in/outs and a lot of their clients have their own custom rigs. If someone else needs PT a rig is hired in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

yeah I will pop in for tea and a pt session

how does that work for u?

henessjon wrote: »
    yeah I will pop in for tea and a pt session

how does that work for u?

Great - There are rumours there will be sandwiches too .... but I can't confirm that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

so tea and sandwich.....

must warn you Im in a startup project studio homebased.

I would like to bring a PT session to see what possibilities a pro can do ... Im concerned you might want to devote your time to a better cause.

ie big spender!!
    :o

Yes, I'm not into Paupers ok!!
    No you're very welcome. There's no point in anyone buying gear in a semi or pro setup unless it makes you money by being able to charge fairly for your work.

The idea of bringing in a Session isn't so we can work on it but to hear what you're at through 'proper' gear. That'll let you see where your strengths or weakness' lie.

Mixing out of the box , either through a summing amp or mixer has been a big eye opener for me last year. Jim and his SSL X Rack will be showing the effects of that...

Anyway, the immediate goal isn't to make sales on the day (I won't even have a pricelist with me!) but to show people the value of posh, but not unaffordable, gear.

See you next Monday 28th

I've just post a few photos at http://www.myspace.com/audiowarehouse that will make finding Westland very easy.
    They're in the folder 'How to get to Westland' ... If you can't find it now I don't want you there!!!

See youse next Monday? 1pm to whenever. If you want to nip down after 6pm let me know. Cheers Paul

• Advertisement

Thanks to Cormac for allowing me a sticky re this Thread.

Just to confirm that acoustician Chris Walls will be in attendance too. He works for Andy Munro in the UK.
    He's working on U2's new project at the moment and will be doling out free Acoustics Advice on the day.

Measure up your room and take a few photos and you can melt his head. He's a great guy and knows all the Techy Sums to solve acoustic problems.

See you then!!

Paul.

Flight cases of gear have arrived, boxes of Tea bags bought.....We're all set for Monday !!

See you all tomorrow I hope!!

You can see Jim from SSL in action here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YS0HGna9s

He's some man to talk! Come around and say 'Hello'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Best of luck today Paul. I was hoping something would come up to free from other commitments but no joy so I won't make it. :(:(:(

Same unfortunately, was looking forward to seeing the X-Rack gear. Hope it goes well though, I'm sure there'll be a full report!

Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to come down to Westland yesterday! Special thanks to Dave StudioRat who loaned us his Pro Tools rig and Ross from Westland.

We had a great day with about 30 people in across the event.

The only downside was that poor old Jim from SSL had his flight cancelled and didn't arrive til late afternoon. Unfortunately a lot of people had to leave before he got there....

Another slight downside was when we dropped a PMC monitor onto the SSL console , shearing off 2 knobs.... Rock'n'Roll!

Nip over to myspace.com/AudioWarehouse for a couple of photos.

Cheers Paul.

Just received another lot of photos taken by Peter from Middlewalk Studio , Nenagh that I've posted on MySpace

Lads, you're welcome to Thrash this thread now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Unstickied. Glad it went well for ye :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement