Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Stuff for You !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    FREE stuff? Why wouldn't you?

Because you get mail-raped by their affiliates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

jimi_t wrote: »
    Because you get mail-raped by their affiliates?

Why such negativity Brother?..... and me only New here.

One can Unclick the 'Mail me' boxes as far as I remember.

I've been signed up for the last couple of years with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Why such negativity Brother?..... and me only New here.

One can Unclick the 'Mail me' boxes as far as I remember.

I've been signed up for the last couple of years with no problems.

No negativity boss, tis a question/answer scenario. Tape-Op especially are apparently desperate for it.

(and welcome to boards - I see you used to be the tech guy inside in MusicMaker; many happy saturdays :D I'm pretty sure you tossed me a free MIDI cable before as well.)

As I say, I've not had any issues. I know the European editor of Tape - Op so if you do have any problems give me a yell. Cheers.

We don't advertise in any of the above journals, though some of them have had articles about us in them.

In my opinion some of the more popular magazines are a bit blind leading the blind - that is, written by enthusiastic amatuers who may be a couple of steps up the audio ladder from their audience.

Every bad bit of info let out there slows up everyone's progress, especially when it becomes generally accepted as true - Egg Boxes anyone?

What I want to read is info from the Horse's Mouth, not from a Audio Stable Boy!

Hence I think all the 4 mags I've suggested you subscribe to carry some hardcore info from some hardcore guys. (They're Free Gawd Dammit)

I'm also a fan of EQ Mag and Mix mag both American, but they ain't free.

http://mixonline.com/
    http://www.eqmag.com/

Another interesting source of cool info is

http://www.recordproduction.com/

run by the very enthusiastic Mike Banks.

While Mike works for SSL as his day job the site is his hobby. I've not noticed any bias towards SSL there.

There are lots of great video interviews and is a great way to while away some quality geek hours!

P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks for those - the resolution one appears to be a paid subscription though.

Oh my - and the tape op email confirmation link bombs out because of the apostrophe in my surname - that site is ripe for a mysql injection attack. Emailed them about it...

Lads yer a bunch of aul wans - None of the above is a reason to not to subscribe - Loosen up will yez? Or I'll give ya a mysql attack......!! (can't you get a cream for that?)

-Press the subscribe button for a free Resolution Subscription-

Lads yer a bunch of aul wans - None of the above is a reason to not to subscribe - Loosen up will yez? Or I'll give ya a mysql attack......!! (can't you get a cream for that?)

(Press the subscribe button for a free Resolution Subscription)

Lighten up yourself.

I thanked you for the links, and have subscribed where I could, but it's pertinent to let people know that if they are subscribing to tape-op, they shouldn't use an apostophre (as in O'Malley ) because the application will fail when you go to activate the subscription.

When you press the subscribe button for resolution, it asks you to select your subscription type - the Europe subscription is shown as £46.00 / €68.00 euros.

30 posts in and you're already dishing out abuse, which I must say doesn't inspire me to rush to your website to make a purchase.

squibs wrote: »
    Lighten up yourself.

I thanked you for the links, and have subscribed where I could, but it's pertinent to let people know that if they are subscribing to tape-op, they shouldn't use an apostophre (as in O'Malley ) because the application will fail when you go to activate the subscription.

When you press the subscribe button for resolution, it asks you to select your subscription type - the Europe subscription is shown as £46.00 / €68.00 euros.

30 posts in and you're already dishing out abuse, which I must say doesn't inspire me to rush to your website to make a purchase.

Ah Squibs! I'm only jokin! ...and they've been a great 30 posts!! There's a line on the subscribe page

'Subscribe to Resolution Magazine
    For information about Free Trial subscriptions please click here'

That's on the page you mentioned with the prices on it.

Then you fill in your details-
    I think the plan is that they send you a free one and if you 'look' anyway pro they'll continue subscriptions.

I't my favourite European mag as it doesn't have the 'Saving The Universe' overtone that Tape Op has nor the 'Let's build a Mixer out of Toilet Roll Holders' vibe that SOS has.

Give it a try....

Truce, yea?

• Advertisement

http://www.resolutionmag.com/subscribe_form_free.php

That's the link I should have had....

Looking forward to it, though I must say I'm a SOS junky. I learned much of the little I know from it.

My opinion is that the only things worth learning are from the Top Dawgs - , I just think that unless you're actually doing it at a very high level , there's an element of guessing - not having all the pieces of the jigsaw. That's not an absolute value judgement on SOS contributors.
    Then apply that Top Level advice to whatever situation you're in.

I know from my own experience that I now make records that sound 20 times better than I could before in my own studio , because I work in a superior studio.

Similarly if I want advice on recording a drum kit it has to be from a guy who does that every day in the best facilities.

That's why I think 'proper info' is so important. (hence those mags)

I had a visit from an occasional customer here yesterday and we've had a few heated discussions over the years about the direction he was going (the wrong one in my opinion, but he's changin!)

He made the valid point that the reason guys think they can make great records on a Euro 5k studio is because (some) magazines and their advertising tell you so.
    Raw experience tells me otherwise!!

A big part of that is that guys WANT to believe that a Euro 99 plugin is the same as a Euro 3k box of Iron and Valves.... it ain't!

A great example is monitors - a pair of Euro 300 monitors tell you very little more than a Euro 250 Hifi combo..... but they must do I hear the cry, They're MONITORS!!.... Er, No.

Anyway that's a splendid rant for a Tuesday morn!!

Just as I finish the last Post my In Box went ding with this nugget-

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=4359

This is the kind of stuff that WILL help you make better recordings- it ain't glamourous but it is right.... well I think.

Did any of you guys subscribe to those Magazines? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Got my first copy of resolution.
    It's a bit 'trade' for my liking.
    The reviews offer little in the way of real insight.
    The interviews were ok, but a little short, particularly the Andy Gill one.
    Grats on the TodayFM gig, though.

It's a million miles away from TapeOp.

Subscribed to all but tape-op. Nothing received yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

You missed out on the best one, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I subsribe to tape-off for a wee while now. I like it. Other than that I most of my reading on line.

Advertisement