Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan Signings [no talking out your hoop]

Options
  • 11-01-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Strong rumours that the lad Jarque will be signed over the next couple of days. Is there anyone else in particular that you would like to see arrive ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spurs4eva

Wouldn't mind seeing Steven Hunt peggin down the left wing in a white shirt COYS

PS we've just gotten rid of Ghastly to Derby for the rest of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Christian Poulsen from Sevilla.......fantastic defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Sky Sports reckon Lyon have accepted a bid from us for Fred!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Just reading HH, he reckons the bid is in for downing

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Sky Sports reckon Lyon have accepted a bid from us for Fred!!!!!

Lyon have also accepted bids from PSG and Pompey, so it's up to Fred to decide where he wants to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Only a rumour, but Robinson to go for 5m, and Green in for 6m???

Paul Robinson has demanded to leave Tottenham after being demoted to the bench for last Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final with Arsenal. (The Mail)

Robinson has been told by Juande Ramos that he can leave Spurs, and would cost potential suitors £5m. (Independent)

West Ham stopper Robert Green is being lined up to replace Robinson at Spurs. He would cost £6m. (The Sun)

Spurs are expected to land long-term target Stewart Downing from Middlesbrough for £10m. (Daily Star)

Tottenham midfielder Teemu Tainio could be part of the deal that brings Downing to White Hart Lane. (The Sun)

Out of favour Spurs striker Jermain Defoe could be Harry Redknapp's first signing as Newcastle boss - if he joins the St James' Park club. (The Sun)

Lyon striker Fred is the target of several Premiership clubs with Tottenham leading the chase for the £11m rated Brazilian. (Various)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zabbo wrote: »

Paul Robinson has demanded to leave Tottenham after being demoted to the bench for last Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final with Arsenal. (The Mail)

as far as im concerned, that disgusting behaviour from one of our so called senior squad members

for him to behave like that for being dropped, and then to demand a transfer, becuase hes been dropped for a game. get over yourself robbo, youve been **** for 24 months, youve cost us countless points, and no one has any faith in you.

out of the club now as soon as possible. id rather have ghaly in the squad than robinson plays for us again after that. completely unprofessional, not to mention tantrun baby behaviour. shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

for him to behave like that for being dropped, and then to demand a transfer, becuase hes been dropped for a game. get over yourself robbo, youve been **** for 24 months, youve cost us countless points, and no one has any faith in you.

out of the club now as soon as possible. id rather have ghaly in the squad than robinson plays for us again after that. completely unprofessional, not to mention tantrun baby behaviour. shameful

I'd prefer Cerny anyday - been saying it for months.

Robbo has no command of box and useless at crosses. Now punching everything as well.

Robert Green please. Swap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

i totally agree with the last 2 posts about robinson, i can't believe how unprofessional he's behaving. any player worth his salt would play better when his place is under threat but the reverse seems to be happening here.
    it's been a long time since robbo has given us a man of the match display (which he used to regularly give) and his place as england no. 1 is surely gone so if he wants to act like a big baby then surely the door is wide open
    having said that i do hope the paper reports are wrong and that there is no disharmony in the squad
    also we gotto keep berba

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Heard from a very trustworthy source during the week that Downing is close to signing, but I'm disappointed with the quoted fee of £12m...money could be much better spent...

Also begs the question of just whose signing he would be, we were in for him with Jol at the helm. Commoli is main culprit, but I'd point the finger at Levy and his "buy British" policy, which isn't worth a **** when you look at the gems uncovered by Wenger every season.

If Robinson has thrown a strop then I expect Ramos will have him out the door as soon as a replacement is sourced, though I worry about Cerny at times.

I think us being linked to Fred is just a ploy by Lyon to push up his price for other buyers, I'd rather we kept Berbatov and all our strikers and concentrated on the real problem areas...central midfield being my first priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I cant believe we're going to spend that money on Downing. Hunt for half the price would be a better bet. We need a chaser in the middle. Most goals conceded from outside the box? That's us. Practically every goal we concede comes from 1 of 3 sources- straight through the middle with nobody home, a set piece, or a 30 yarder. I thought O Hara has shown enough to get a long run in the middle. He can tackle, screen, chase back, stay home, pass, and win a header, all things marked absent in our midfield. Malbranque has done little wrong and is in my first 11. Bale is a shoo in for the left when he get's back. ramos has somehow put a rocket up Chimbonda's arse lately, whether it will continue or not is debatable. Zokora might make a right back, he is loved in the dressing room and his heart seems to be in the right place, but he can't screen a back four, we're porous when he plays there. In the summer we should have signed Distin and Petrov. They are the type of signings we still need. Kaboul might be worth a try in front of the midfield. I don't know if he'l ever make a centre back. Rocha impressed me before his injury. Buy Jarque and hope it's Ramos not Commoli, get our squad fit, unload the deadwood onto the sellers market, and hold our fire for a midfielder until the summer. I'm glad we tried to buy Hutton, he's just the type of player we need- flinty. We definitely need a goalie. Robinson is stuck to the ground, never on his toes. His starting position is not good enough, he is constantly beaten by ground cross-shots. he doesn't ever come to catch a ball, and it can't be helping whatever hapless CB partnership we employ.

to summarize

Cerny/new goalie
    Chimbonda/Zokora King Jarque/Dawson/Rocha LYP/Bale
    Lennon/Malbranque O Hara Jenas/Malbranque Malbranque/Bale/Taarabt

Keane/Berbatov

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Strong rumours that the lad Jarque will be signed over the next couple of days. Is there anyone else in particular that you would like to see arrive ?

Daniel Jarque is believed to have flown to London last night to hold talks with Tottenham Hotspur. The 25-year-old Espanyol defender has missed the past four matches with a toe injury. Jarque would become the first significant arrival at White Hart Lane since Juande Ramos took over as head coach in late October.

Heard from a very trustworthy source during the week that Downing is close to signing, but I'm disappointed with the quoted fee of £12m...money could be much better spent...

Gareth Southgate has denied that Stewart Downing’s departure from Middlesbrough this month is inevitable, although Tottenham Hotspur, the winger’s long-term suitors, have reiterated their interest. With a £12 million offer from Spurs reported to be imminent — they have already bid £8 million — Gus Poyet, the club’s first-team coach, praised Downing publicly on Saturday night

zabbo wrote: »

Lyon striker Fred is the target of several Premiership clubs with Tottenham leading the chase for the £11m rated Brazilian. (Various)

Fred Rejects Tottenham And PSG

Fred has revealed that he received offers from both Tottenham Hotspur and Paris Saint-Germain and turned them down and is now waiting for other offers to come in.

Juande Ramos' interest in Fred may raise a few eyebrows at White Hart Lane given the littany of attacking options available.

"For the moment, I have only received two offers, from Paris and Tottenham," he told L'Equipe. "PSG made the first offer to me. I refused it. With Tottenham, it is the same.

"Meetings have taken place with my brother. I think that we are going to see things materialise by Wednesday.

"Lyon have held talks with other clubs, not me. Not yet anyway."

While Fred has claimed that he rejected an offer from PSG, his current club believe that he is only holding out for better personal terms before joining them.

"Lyon have noted the declarations made by Fred in the press this morning and recall that the Brazil international has confirmed on several occasions his desire to play for PSG," a club statement read.

"Moreover, Lyon confirm that the different offers received so far for a transfer of Fred are close to one another, that they correspond overall to the expectations of the club and that essentially they differentiate from one another only by virtue of bonus fees involved and methods of payment.

"Lyon would like to make it clear that it is the player, of course, who will choose his final destination and that if Fred isn't transferred, he will stay available to coach Alain Perrin."

Ian Dixon, Goal.com

Juande Ramos is out and about jetting around the world putting in potential bids for just about every talented player on the planet, especially Spanish ones.

Juande Ramos is apparently closing in on former Chelsea midfielder Tiago. Juventus are said to be considering a £7.5m Tottenham bid for the Portuguese international and are expected to inform Spurs of their decision sometime soon (Corriere dello Sport).

Tiago, 26, is a quality player who could do a damn fine job in north London, having won three successive national titles, firstly under Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge and then at Lyon. His career has been stifled in Turin and it appears he is keen to return to the Premier League. I I was a Spurs fan, I would have my fingers crossed as this is the kind of signing that could be hugely beneficial to the White Hart Lane club.

Another player reportedly close to posing in a Spurs jersey is Sevilla striker Alexander Kerzhakov (Daily Star).
    The Russian forward was a Ramos signing in Spain and Juande appears keen to land him once again - but apparently only after he has disposed of Jermain Defoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I think Downing is good player but is he worth £12m ?

Personally, I don't think so. Again it's seems the familiar story of english players being overpriced.

I'd like us to get someone in who can harden up the middle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Tbh i think downing will definately be a commoli signing considering that we've been linked with him often in the past. I stil can't see why damien commoli is at the club its very frustrating. Just give Ramos and gus the money and it will be well spent. There's much better out there than Downing. A couple of rumours out there today about kanoute heading back but i can't really see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

would like to see Tiago coming he is quality and has Premier league experience and wouldnt have to adapt to the pace of the play.TBH wouldnt mind Downing he has quality delivery and has to be better than playing a right footer on the left all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'm sick to death of all the transfer speculation, most of it is a load of crap any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

According to the Independent today, Bent has been made available for transfer for 12m with West Ham interested but not at that price. Would be delighted if we got 12m. Having said that though, I dont think Bent ever got a decent chance.

The Daily Mail is reporting a £9m bid has been accepted by Juventus for Tiago, leaving the way open for us to discuss terms.

I would love him to be signed, would fit in with Ramos' recent comments about needing some steel in midfield.

Sky Sports running with same, from un-named Spanish sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

He should follow his dream like Alan Shearer did.

kinaldo wrote: »

and win nothing?

Even in the darkest days at Spurs, when I think things couldn't get any more ridiculous, I always look to the north east and laugh my arse off at the most deluded fans (Best Fans in the Worldtm) in the Premier League.

Thanks Newcastle!

Even in the darkest days at Spurs, when I think things couldn't get any more ridiculous, I always look to the north east and laugh my arse off at the most deluded fans (Best Fans in the Worldtm) in the Premier League.

Thanks Newcastle!
    And vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Tiago would be amazing, always been a fan of him!

And vice-versa.

yawn.

Kevin Keegan wants Dimitar Berbatov
    By Brian Mcnally 20/01/2008

Kevin Keegan wants to fight Sir Alex Ferguson for Spurs hot - shot Dimi tar Berbatov.

The Geordies' football Messiah saw his first game back in charge at Newcastle end in a lowkey 0-0 draw against Bolton.

But Keegan is plotting another transfer coup over the Manchester United manager Ferguson - and he has an ace up his sleeve.

The £26million-rated Berbatov is a lifelong Toon fan. The 26-year-old Bulgarian striker is at the top of Keegan's wanted list.

The widespread belief is that Berbatov will join Manchester United in the summer.

But, just as he persuaded Alan Shearer to snub Old Trafford and join the Geordies in 1996, Keegan wants to snatch Berbatov out of Fergie's clutches.

And Berbatov's mother Margarita revealed: "As a boy Dimitar used to sleep in his Newcastle shirt. It was that special to him.

"He told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son's hero." The other signings Keegan has nominated include Rangers rightback Alan Hutton. He recently turned down a £7million move to Spurs and is also on Ferguson's wanted list.

Keegan would also like to bolster his team's rocky defence with the recruitment of Spurs defender Ledley King. The England centreback's injury problems may make that deal hard to clinch.

Keegan has spent the 16 months based in Scotland at his Soccer Circus business and one of his immediate targets will be Dundee United's Barry Robson. Robson is 29 and could be available in this month's transfer window. He's a hard-winning midfielder who will provide Keegan with more options in his team's floundering engine room. Keegan has also mentioned Geordie boy Michael Carrick as a future transfer target to owner Mike Ashley.

Manchester United will bve reluctant to sell the England star who slipped through Newcastle's clutches as a schoolboy when Keegan was in charge and made his name at West Ham.
    http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/01/20/kevin-keegan-wants-dimitar-berbatov-98487-20292467/

• Advertisement

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

In other news, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus are real!

There must be something about standing in Sid Jame's Park with no top on that addles the brain.

gullible.jpg

Advertisement