Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aptop wireless access to shared folder

Options
  • 11-01-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

getting very frustrated with this ! ... no idea anymore

Trying to give laptop wireless access to shared folder on another computer, whats the best way to do this?

thanks v much

ss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It's easier when all computers are in the same workgroup. In Windows, right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Under Computer Name, click Change and make sure all machines have the same workgroup name, usually MSHOME or WORKGROUP by default. You'll need to restart.

Now, open My Network Places and follow the link on the left to show all workgroup PCs. Hopefully you'll see the share. If you don't, it's probably because of a third-party firewall running on one of your machine blocking things.

Bb727037.vistafp01%28en-us,TechNet.10%29.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Thanks for your reply ... I tried your suggestion to no avail.

I wonder did i explain the situation correctly.

Have a shared directory (on 1 computer) which other computers access. All computers are only connected to eircom broadband modem

I need laptop to have access to that folder. the laptop connects to the modem (internet)... should i be able to get the laptop to have access to shared dir via the eircom modem ?

Thanks and please excuse my ignorance

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

supersnail wrote: »
    should i be able to get the laptop to have access to shared dir via the eircom modem ?

Yes the Eircom modem is probably a wireless router and a wired switch as well. Are you getting any error messages when you try and access the shared folder or can you even see it in the first place?

Make sure the firewall on the laptop isn't blocking Windows file & print sharing (check if this is enabled aswell). The screen shot is from a Win2K machine but it'll be similar enough in XP (not sure about Vista though).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

yes im getting an error message

" \\shared\shared is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact adminsistrator .... the network path was not found"

firewall on the laptop is off at the moment ...

ta

Advertisement