Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Packets received ... is my computer normal? 7.10 gutsy

• 11-01-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I'm running ubuntu 7.10, netopia eircom wireless WEP (no WPA afaik) and Network Monitor shows me that the packets received in a short session - about half an hour, maybe more - total about 5MB while idle. Is that normal?

I'm not sure if it is and I am wondering if my wifi is being used, and I had a look on another thread here which told me I can look at attached devices using the Windows command ipconfig - anyone know how to do this in ubuntu?

Maybe 5MB per hour roughly, is normal though...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

three more megabytes since I posted that...
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

you should be able to see clients that have received an IP address via DHCP on your actual Netopia modem. Do you have login details for the modem ? If so, put its IP address into firefox on ubuntu, and input the login details. Then browse around the necessary menus on Netopia to find where DHCP clients are listed. I guess if you see more than one, (you're the only user ?) then you have someone using your WIFI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

If i was you i'd setup Mac filtering and save yourself the hassle and worry of someone getting onto your router. its pretty straight forward on the 2247
    Netopia page->expert mode->configure->wireless->advanced config mode(little grey button)->Limit Wireless Access by MAC Address: (little grey button)->enable->input your mac address. your MAC address is accessible through ipconfig /all you're lookin for the physical address of your wireless adapter. Input. Save changes on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Eh.. the Packets received that you refer to sound like they are the packets that your PC has received.

So it has nothing to do with someone leeching your wireless signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It would be good to use WPA instead, unless you have some device that won't support it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

WellyJ wrote: »
    Eh.. the Packets received that you refer to sound like they are the packets that your PC has received.

So it has nothing to do with someone leeching your wireless signal.

Thanks for all your replies but I realised this one above might be true after I hit the send button on the last post.

Network Monitor shows I've downloaded over 30MB in the last two hours ... is this right? Maybe its normal but I wouldn't have thought so high a figure for packets received was normal.
    1412 MB upto 10 Jan on Eircom BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Install tcpdump and iptraf ,

apt-get install tcpdump
    apt-get install iptraf

and they will show you whats going on

Advertisement