Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best mainstream hard drives?

• 11-01-2008 1:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

What are the best mainstream desktop hard drives these days, say in the 300GB+ category, 7200RPM+? I've had two Western Digital drives fail on me recently, despite good experiences in the past, so I think it's time to switch.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have never had a complaint about Samsung t166 drives. Ive had a good few of them now and not one has failed or had any problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seagate. 5 year warranty. GG.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Samsung and Seagate are very sweet, got 4 Sammy and one Seagate in my pc currently, apparent from the seagate being slightly noisier than the Samsungs, Its a good fast drive nevertheless, not have one failure out of those 2 brands...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

yoyo wrote: »
    Samsung and Seagate are very sweet, got 4 Sammy and one Seagate in my pc currently, apparent from the seagate being slightly noisier than the Samsungs, Its a good fast drive nevertheless, not have one failure out of those 2 brands...

Nick

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive lost a few seagates, so personally id never buy one again. Mind you they were in raid 10 on a media server. So its my fault i suppose "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

As it's been said already - Samsungs are the best, of course !

Check out this Samsung 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM from Dabs.ie for €103 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

pcolan wrote: »
    As it's been said already - Samsungs are the best, of course !

Check out this Samsung 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM from Dabs.ie for €103 delivered.

I beg to differ, the new 7200.11 series seagates are, they got 32mb cache. Here (although incorrectly named on dabs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I beg to differ, the new 7200.11 series seagates are, they got 32mb cache. Here (although incorrectly named on dabs)

Maybe, but what about the noise ?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

dahamsta wrote: »
    What are the best mainstream desktop hard drives these days, say in the 300GB+ category, 7200RPM+? I've had two Western Digital drives fail on me recently, despite good experiences in the past, so I think it's time to switch.

adam

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with WD.

Personally I've never had problems with WD.

I have had problems with the Samsung Spinpoint series, however so I'm not recommending them.
    Using WD5000ABYS at the moment:
    They are rated 24x7 though not supposed to be so good in RAID.

The WD5000AAKS is supposed to be good in RAID though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got no complaints about Seagate drives here. From all of the positive feedback I think I'll be trying a Sammy next though.

An older Seagate drive was defective from the start, but I put that down to how poorly it was packaged. (damn ebayers, you'd think they could put the inflated P&P costs towards packaging an item properly instead of just throwing it into a box with no padding)
    Thankfully Seagate's RMA process is fantastic, pretty much on a par with Apple's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have three WDC drives (2 INT, 1 EXT) and so far no problems.

Advertisement