Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overdue NCT and now (narrowly) failed it - insurance position?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

My NCT cert expired 1st Jan and I was out of the country. It finally had its NCT yesterday and failed (not as badly as I thought it might) due to handbrake pulling up too high (I actually have that booked in to be done but just couldn't get it sorted in time for NCT) and one of the rear brake lights not working. I don't need a full retest but between getting things fixed and getting a new date it could be 2 weeks or so.

Am I insured?

I know this has been addressed somewhat in previous posts but the fact that, apart from the handbrake and 1 brake light the car is essentially OK; will that be taken into consideration? And will the fact that I am in the process of getting NCT be taken into consideration? I kind of need the car for some short journeys out of Dublin. Am insured with Quinn Direct if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are technically insured. However, any insurance documentation I've read requires the insured to maintain their car in a "roadworthy" condition. So no NCT means technically not roadworthy.

In the event of a crash, your insurance company would be obliged to honour any third party claims but may chase you for costs later on. A Garda would not stop you for driving uninsured because you're technically not uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I started a thread on this "NCT Obligations" a while back and I think the general concensus was that yes you were insured so wouldnt worry.

I phoned my insurance company for peace of mind and they told the NCT being out was irrelevant :eek: I've been stopped 4 times at random tax / insurance checkpoints since the NCT was technically due (its 1st time) and the cops have waved me on each time, not high on their list of enforcement, if at all.

As a few posters said the NCT is only a snapshot of the car on a given day, it might pass the test today and the brakes could fail next week so how the fcuk does an NCT test make your car roadworthy? It doesnt.

Oh for the record Im not an NCT dodger. Mine was due in September by rights (ie cars 1st registration anniversary) but they didnt write to me with an appointment date till late November (technical glitches I believe?) I cancelled that as the date didnt suit and am doing it at the end of the month. The whole thing is a bit of a placebo though imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I've been stopped 4 times at random tax / insurance checkpoints since the NCT was technically due (its 1st time) and the cops have waved me on each time, not high on their list of enforcement, if at all.
    Quite, they really don't give a rats arse about the NCT. I drove one car I had for 18 months with no nct, passed loads of checkpoints and never a word said. They only ever prosecute for no nct when it is combined with no tax or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What I consider strange, with the NCT in these parts, is the practice of pals and acquaintances swapping easily removable defective parts, tyres etc, and swapping them back again after the car passes the test.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I have a 99 car that has never had an NCT - went for the first one and failed on emissions (Air mass metre) fixed it but never went back for a retest - now I don't drive the car that often but as I live in the city centre I get pulled a check points regulary in it - nct only got mentioned once by a guard.

But if you crash your car or it is stolen - you insurance will ask for it and if you ain't got one you won't get market value for the car and they might play hard ball about paying any claims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement