Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parted-at-birth twins married

• 11-01-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

Parted a birth twins married - link

:eek:

doh...

(sorry it posted already, search gave me nothing!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Thats got to **** anyone up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Full story:
    Parted-at-birth twins 'married'
    Twins (anonymous)
    It is thought the pair did not know their relationship when they married
    A pair of twins who were adopted by separate families as babies got married without knowing they were brother and sister, a peer told the House of Lords.

A court annulled the UK couple's union after they discovered their true relationship, Lord Alton said.

The peer - who was told of the case by a High Court judge involved - said the twins felt an "inevitable attraction".

He said the case showed how important it was for children to be able to find out about their biological parents.

'Truth will out'

Details of the of the identities of the twins involved have been kept secret, but Lord Alton said the pair did not realise they were related until after their marriage.

The former Liberal Democrat MP raised the couple's case during a House of Lords debate on the Human Fertility and Embryology Bill in December.

We are naturally drawn to people who are quite similar to ourselves
    Pam Hodgkins
    Adults Affected by Adoption

"They were never told that they were twins," he told the Lords.

"They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction, and the judge had to deal with the consequences of the marriage that they entered into and all the issues of their separation."

He told the BBC News website that their story raises the wider issue of the importance of strengthening the rights of children to know the identities of their biological parents .

"If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will out," he said.

"And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."

Pam Hodgkins, chief executive officer of the charity Adults Affected by Adoption (NORCAP) said there had been previous cases of separated siblings being attracted to each other.

"We have a resistance, a very strong incest taboo where we are aware that someone is a biological relative," she said.

"But when we are unaware of that relationship, we are naturally drawn to people who are quite similar to ourselves.

"And of course there is unlikely to be anyone more similar to any individual than their sibling."

Fairly messed up alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm sure they were going at it for a couple of years before they got married. Serious case of porking your sister there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Aside from being freakin' hilarious, that is also really sad. I'm sure they were deeplt in love and whatnot, and now they'll have no choice but to split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm sure someone would have been suspicious after a few albino kids popped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wow, that's crazy. How did they find out they were siblings I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thats terrible. Those poor people. Imagine finding the love of your life and then finding out it was your twin. I wonder if their adoptive parents are still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Wacker wrote: »
    Aside from being freakin' hilarious, that is also really sad. I'm sure they were deeplt in love and whatnot, and now they'll have no choice but to split.

not only that as they are twins they are bounded to want to keep some sort of relationship up, but will always be thinking they slept with the other one and they can't really tell anyone either.

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was something like:

Him: I was adopted.
    Her: So was I.
    One of them: Let's find our parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you'd think that the fact that they were both adopted and had the same birthday might set alarms bells off in their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Terry wrote: »

Yeah, but when did they have the "Oh, bollox" moment.

Hehe. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when the penny dropped

They should both just take some amnesia pills and carry on, Oldboy style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Him: ok, we'll find mine first
    Mom: Oh son! Ive missed you all these years! and you managed to find your sister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No-one has to know.

They should have just kept on living together as husband and wife imo.

Relations between brother and sister are only "taboo" if you have actually grown up together as siblings.

DesF wrote: »
    Relations between brother and sister are only "taboo" if you have actually grown up together as siblings.

But think of the children!

didle ing ding ding ding ding din dinggg (to the tune of duelling banjos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Er Des, its a "crime" and has health repercussions for any children.

Mike.

Sterilisation.

Adoption could also be an option, I bet they'd tell any adopted kids if they had a twin.

Crime Schrime.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

you'd think that the fact that they were both adopted and had the same birthday might set alarms bells off in their heads

I think the "gave birth to a squid-baby" theory holds far more water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

No-one has to know.

They should have just kept on living together as husband and wife imo.

no, thats wrong, if they choose to raise a family it would come out very bad.

My heart bleeds for them, thats a horrible thing to go through - breaking up for a reason which isnt dislike/feelings and so on

red_ice wrote: »
    no, thats wrong,
    So, no-one else here has looked at their sibling and thought "hmm, I'd probably hit that if I wasn't their bro/sis"?

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

They had the same birthday ... and looked identical to each other ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are a couple in germany who are borther and sister and have had 3 perfectly healthy children.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are a couple in germany who are borther and sister and have had 3 perfectly healthy children.
    See...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

..who share the same lower torso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

surely gotta mess them up knowing their siblings. scary stuff.

i doubt the adopted thing wud come up untill they were together for ages....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Holy crap! Thats a wierd one!

And the 4th's on the way ;)

That is so ****ed up. Poor people..... I am so curious to know how they found out...

Thats ****ing something you'd see on a soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Germans are well, German. :p (see thier pron for proof)

As for the observation about fancying your sister well that not happened to me but it is well known that people often fall in love with a variation on thier mother/father/sister/brother which is no doubt why this pair ended up together.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I feel so sorry for them - they'll need a lot of counselling.

Well - do you need your parents names on your marriage cert? Because I know my mother had to produce her parents death certs when she was getting married (she was 22 at the time I think).

I don't know.

Wasn't there some dude called Noah who repopulated the world after the flood?
    His kids would have had to done each other and we all turned out fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Meh, they are still going to get it on like Donkey Kong. Oh, and now for the husbands weird sister sexual fantasies to come out Some shock I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Excellent point. I wonder if either of them knew their actual birth date. There's not really much information there so it could be that they knew all along.

I don't know.

Wasn't there some dude called Noah who repopulated the world after the flood?
    His kids would have had to done each other and we all turned out fine.
    Not to mention the original Adam and Eve, whose sons would have had to hit their own mother to have children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

So, no-one else here has looked at their sibling and thought "hmm, I'd probably hit that if I wasn't their bro/sis"?

hahahahaha but no!

god that crazy, what are the odds.:eek:

• Advertisement

Not to mention the original Adam and Eve, whose sons would have had to hit their own mother to have children.
    Yeah. It's all natural. People are too prudish these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

First encounter with a mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Ah well, better to have it annulled I guess than go through the eventual messy divorce....
    As a wise man once said:
    "ackh! It won't last, brothers and sisters are natural enemies; like Scots and English... and Scots and Welsh... and Scots and other Scots... damn Scots, they ruined Scotland.":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Um, no, ew :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why aren't the pix of Desf's hot sister up here yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

star-pants wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for them - they'll need a lot of counselling.

Well - do you need your parents names on your marriage cert? Because I know my mother had to produce her parents death certs when she was getting married (she was 22 at the time I think).

They probably only had adoption certs which would do instead of birth certs.

we all turned out fine.

O RLY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Mad!! That would be quite funny to see how they realised it but sad all the same ;)

red_ice wrote: »
    no, thats wrong, if they choose to raise a family it would come out very bad.
    not necessarily. the problem with siblings having kids is that if there's a defect in their genes, there's more chance of it being passed on but its not a certainty. it could happen but the problems really only become apparent after generations of inbreeding.

so don't worry your incestuous heads all you donegal people :)
    Pye wrote: »
    Excellent point. I wonder if either of them knew their actual birth date. There's not really much information there so it could be that they knew all along.
    i can't speak for all adoptive people but i was adopted and i have an adoption cert that has my birthday and i know the hospital i was born in. with that info i'd figure out fairly quickly if i was boning my sister. and then i'd have a tough choice to make :D

with that info i'd figure out fairly quickly if i was boning my sister. and then i'd have a tough choice to make :D

If you found out while you were boning her would you stop or "finish up" ??

KTRIC wrote: »
    If you found out while you were boning her would you stop or "finish up" ??

what a silly question. if i was in the middle of it a herd of wild horses couldn't pull me off. my dilemma would be whether its worth the mutants that woul be produced. i suppose i could sell them to the circus....

Why aren't the pix of Desf's hot sister up here yet?
    I'm working on it...

I'm working on it...
    Ewwwwww...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Thing is though, anybody who is adopted could be with their brother/sister/half sibling/father/mother at any time and not know (sorry Commander Vines) The chances of finding out that information are slim and people have kids in different hospitals/counties etc. It must happen fairly regularly when you think about it.

what a silly question. if i was in the middle of it a herd of wild horses couldn't pull me off. my dilemma would be whether its worth the mutants that woul be produced. i suppose i could sell them to the circus....

Are you admitting that you would bone your sister ?

Oooh the plot thickens :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement