Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 166... is this a good deal?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hi folks... I'm a frequent reader, but not so frequent poster on these pages.... I'm looking for some advice on whether this 166 is a good buy...

My current daily driver is a 00 Almera 1.5. I do very low mileage (c. 5k miles/PA) so not overly concerned with fuel efficiency.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=876877

I spoke with the owner... he's had it since new - as a company car for 4 yrs, then he bought it outright (hence the "one driver, 2 owners" on the ad). Mileage is genuine & backed up with all bills. Full Alfa service history @ Victor Motors & Alasta (who did the belts about 7k miles ago).

Would like to avoid the "Alfas are rubbish/everybody should own an Alfa" debate... I'm looking for genuine advice on this one. I wouldn't dream of it without the service history, but it's a great spec, great colour & very low mileage.

I am an Alfa fan (though have never owned one). Family (i.e. 3 kids) won't allow the GT I'd really like (hence the reason I'm having to sell my MG BGT - if anybody's interested!) & depreciation dictates the 159 will have to wait for another couple of years. I do like the 156's, but I can't get away from the fact that 166 is a lot more car.

So, all things considered, is this a good buy? I'm planning to view this week-end, so looking for advice before I do.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems a bit expensive to me. They can be bought even cheaper than the 156.

Seen a 1999 full spec 166 2.5 V6 tiptronic for sale on www.adverts.ie, asking €800 but it needs a new head gasket but it is driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes the 166 is a great car, I had a 3ltr V6 one but knew a few with the 2ltr. As it has full service history and the belts are done - great news. Otherwise I'd recommend bringing up to TI Autos to have a once over look.

Of course for the price, like any purchase you should negotiate-7.5k would be better. You do have the option of bring in from the UK the facelifted model from 2003 onwards for the less money. But thats up to you.

I loved the 166, great handling, spacious and looks different from every other car on the road. The depreciation has happened now.

My one caveat is like ALL cars you can have unforseen problems. In the 166 the timing belts and suspension are key things. Small items, the internal air vent covers can break, do check the handling of the wheels(balance/tracking) at speed.

Yours is low mileage. I had one problem with mine where the diff broke and it cost a few quid to replace along with the clutch...but I also had unforseen problems with other cars include BMW 5 series etc...

Seems a beauty , good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks folks...

I've seen the 2.5 V6s, but didn't want to go there (tax/insurance wise). Also, I don't do enough driving to really justify it. Mind you, a friend of mine had the 2.5 V6 156 with some additional Alfa tweaking and it was some car to drive. A bit noisy... but what a noise. Too fast for me though

I'm looking for a balance between something sporty/different but practical at the same time. I'm not into the hassle of UK imports (not for a car in this price range anyway).

I know there are other '02 cars around for less money, but they've much higher mileage & don't have FSH. Obvioulsy I'd haggle on this one & would be hoping for €7.5-8k. Can't imagine this would be too easy to sell anyway, so probably a buyer's market.

Any other thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Looks like a cracking motor but haggle on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice and all the signs seem set to green. As the others said, try and haggle on the price. But if it was me, I'd be prepared to go the full asking price if it came to that. Alfas in great condition for a reasonable price are scarce and there are people "in the know" out there who'd know good Alfas are bargains

Personally I'd get the 3.0 V6. As you say, your fuel consumption is irrelevant. If you have a full NCB, the difference in insurance is probably only another couple of hundred too. Tax is dear on a 3l car, but they can be had for similar money as the 2l and you get so much more Alfa :D

FWIW, I had a few drives with the MD of a company in Cyprus (where the roads are way worse than in Ireland) who had a 9 year old 166 3.0 V6 from new. It had 115k miles on it, mainly Nicosia city area driving . Not a rattle on it!

• Advertisement

Nail on the head Unkel... good Alfas like this are hard to come by.

On the larger engines, I dunno, I just can't justify the extra running costs when my mileage is so low... I only do 6 miles/day, so I'd never really get the car on the open road that often.

Hmm... :rolleyes: am I actually complaining about a short commute? That's a first!

Keep the comments coming - test drive is looking more likely....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

That looks an absolute gem. Not the cheapest one around but then you can see exactly where your money is going; FSH, belts done, immaculate inside & out by the looks of it.
    I'd buy it myself but my next Alfa is going to be a V6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Gorgeous car. You obviously like it, so why not view and have a chat with the current owner. I'm sure you can come to some arrangement regarding the price.

Best of luck with it anyway - if I could insure it, you might have had a bit of competition on your hands!

one other thing go to http://www.alfaowner.com/
    a great UK site with lots of info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

A 166 is a work of art and well worth owning at least once in your life. The badge following sheep, unable to judge a car for themselves might turn up their noses at it, but to the more sophisticated it really is a gem.

Looks like a good one, and while you might get the price down a bit, compared with other cars you might choose its really is very good value even at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

That looks like a lovely example. Not the cheapest, but a cheap Alfa is a false economy. Obviously cherished and the all important belts have been changed. I think it's worth the asking price and I actually prefer the last of the 02 models to the facelifted 03 onwards model.

I'm confused as to why you say you can't justify a 3.0 V6 because of your short commute. I would have thought a short commute would be the best justification for a bigger engine. Still, you can't go wrong with a good example no matter what's under the bonnet.

My current car is a SAAB 9-3 but it will be replaced by an Alfa GT sometime this year, what beautiful cars. There's also a wealth of knowledge on www.alfaowner.com as one poster pointed out. Good luck with the sale if you go through with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I owned a 1999 166 2.0. Bought with 40000 miles. sold with 97000. Firstly dont buy 5 speed- poorly geared. Mine had various problems. maf sensor 150. Rear wheel bearing 179. Clutch collapse 700- Not due to poor driving. I would suggest changing front suspension as the sump/sump gaurd hits the road on high speed bumps or some speed ramps taken too fast. this lead to cracked sump on mine - 350 + labour. other problems -Rear suspension arm 200. ICS control system stopped working and was quoted 2000 from dealer, however new car battery made it work again. must be sensitive to voltage. Main problem with these cars is that dealers are poor and parts are crazy prices. this is why the cars devalue so much.
    Lovely car to drive though and still glad I bought it.
    Would recommend yours at about 7000 and keep a repair budget of about 2000. and be prepared to sell it for nothing after 3 years. ICS- radio, aircon phone display sat nav is class when working. beware only original cd changer can be connected 500.

Thanks for all the advice folks - I'm taking it for a spin tomorrow, so will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+ 2 from here - me and the SO.

Nice colour - much better than silver and red on the 166.

But the absolute best you can get your hands on, and, for low mileage p.a. more toys and less engine is a good combo. Paying monster tax for low mileage will just eat you away and you'll blame the car. The 2.0 is a good compromise.

If at all poss - have you a garage? It'd be nice to keep it........nice !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote: »
    Paying monster tax for low mileage will just eat you away

You're right, it is very painful the one day of the year you tax your car. But tax is only a minor cost in the grand scheme of things, especially with performance cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

ALFA = ****e had one b4 al i had was hassle non stop .. cost me a fortune on parts , Just fillin u in . I bought a Bmw after that and i will never look back , Better to spend more as u will save more in long run

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

for a number of years. Timing belt due to be changed at 45K and plugs at 60K. Big enough jobs. Had little trouble with mine. Air con acted up twice and the power steering went the once. Had for 4 years ( 25K - 75K miles ). Would recommend but personally I think 8.5K is too high a price.

Thanks for all the comments folks...

I took it out for a drive last w/e and really liked it. No discernable noises/smoke etc coming from the engine. The car is spotless (even though it hadn't been valeted). FSH paperwork all checked out - a wad of receipts (all Alfa main dealers).

When I arrived, the car had a puncture - he had run over a nail on the way back from the shops that morning. It's in the wall of the tyre, so he's agreed to supply a new one (would have to do this for NCT anyway?)

No underside damage (thanks for the comments about speed bumps!), panel fit as good as you'd expect from an Alfa. Few (if any) bodywork blemishes.

It's the 155BHP 6-speed box & also has the integrated phone.

It's due to be NCT'd this w/e. The were supposedly 3 other prospective buyers out looking the same day (I got there first), so assuming it passes, I've offered the asking price (didn't see the point in risking it for the sake of €500 or so... I doubt there are many of these left in this condition).

Only niggles were the front & rear passenger side electric windows were temperamental. Also, the remote boot release button on the key fob doesn't work.

So, am I mad or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

buy it buy it buy it buy it

oooooh, you jammy git!

I was going to buy it this Sat - bringing the cash'n'all..............

bugger! Start the search again.......:(

It's just that it's so hard to get excited about an.........E-Class......!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Sorry 'bout that GalwayTT...

When I get my Alfa 8C :cool: in a couple of years, you can have 1st dibs on the 166 ;)

112_0710_03z+2009_alfra_romeo_8C_competizione+front_view.jpg

Thats great news, but..

whatever you do, don't let the pressure of the close force you to make a rash decision or stop you negotiating! You can get plenty of nice ones in excellent condition with FSH from the UK for good money.

Be prepared as said earlier to have money/a fund to fix potential problems like any second hand high end executive car.

Take a while, think it through and then stick with your decision.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well done OP, cracking car, looks great and is a fantastic place to be. Only real bad point is depreciation, but for a clever buck like you, buy a used one and let someone else suffer the hit.

IMO, it is a much nicer car in almost every way to ALL its executive car rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

OP go for it, I have an Alfa 147 and the only advice really is check the oil regularly, the Twinspark engine likes oil in normal conditions.

Great car, enjoy driving when you get it, you will find yourself taking the long way home !!! ;)

prospect wrote: »
    Well done OP, cracking car, looks great and is a fantastic place to be. Only real bad point is depreciation, but for a clever buck like you, buy a used one and let someone else suffer the hit.

IMO, it is a much nicer car in almost every way to ALL its executive car rivals.

depreciation ? compared to the competition - he's already way ahead. On a € per km basis, it'll probably be the cheapest car he'll ever buy !

Ode To The Motorist

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Sorry 'bout that GalwayTT...

When I get my Alfa 8C :cool: in a couple of years, you can have 1st dibs on the 166 ;)

112_0710_03z+2009_alfra_romeo_8C_competizione+front_view.jpg

....in a couple of years the 8C will be only worth what the 166 is now, anyway - thanks to John Gormley...........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    On a € per km basis, it'll probably be the cheapest car he'll ever buy !
    I dunno about that now! Lovely car though, i've always had a soft spot for them and that one looks to be about as good as it gets.

When you think about the depreciation all the same...

I just sold my 00 Almera... It cost (as far as I can remember) about €20k new, so it's lost about €16k over 8 yrs.
    ...approx €2k depreciation/yr

The Alfa cost €45.5k new. So it's lost €37k in 6 years.
    ...approx €6.5k depreciation/yr:eek:

Scary, isn't it?

I've owned a couple of new cars in the past. This is the oldest one I've ever bought (aside from my '73 MG). I can't imagine ever going back to a new car again.

Horses for courses I suppose... maybe I'll have lots of "I told you so"s when I start posting about problems with the Alfa ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    When you think about the depreciation all the same...

I just sold my 00 Almera... It cost (as far as I can remember) about €20k new, so it's lost about €16k over 8 yrs.
    ...approx €2k depreciation/yr

The Alfa cost €45.5k new. So it's lost €37k in 6 years.
    ...approx €6.5k depreciation/yr:eek:

Scary, isn't it?

I've owned a couple of new cars in the past. This is the oldest one I've ever bought (aside from my '73 MG). I can't imagine ever going back to a new car again.

Horses for courses I suppose... maybe I'll have lots of "I told you so"s when I start posting about problems with the Alfa ;)

Too be fair, all executive cars depreciate alot faster than smaller cars.

I know a guy who traded in his 1y/o Merc E-Class and had to put €20K with it for the same car again. that is effectively €20K p/a..... (I know it will slow down each year afterwards, but you get the point).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would advise changing the front suspension to prevent damage if you drive on any back roads anyway fast. My driver side window was also dodgy.... used to get stuck in its running and I would need to help it return to closed position. Triple check that the engine returns to idle quickly and smootly at all times.

Advertisement