Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summons for insurance

• 11-01-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all

This is my first post so first of all thanks to anyone who can help me out on this.
    I find myself in a bit of a jam. Last may I got stopped for taking an illegal turn by a garda. I had my licence with me and my insurance and tax discs are all up to date. The garda at the time said he was just giving me a warning but I needed to produce my insurance cert with in 7 days to garda station. Me being the idiot that I am completly forgot. Of course I got a summons issued in September to go to court on 25th of this month to answer charge of not having insurance.
    Does anyone know what this court case will involve. Do I need to have a solicitor present. What the likely outcome is?

Thanks again

Boomerang

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

This happened a friend of mine.
    They went to court with no solicitor, approached the prosecuting Garda and explained the situation to them, i.e. it was just an honest mistake.
    Obviously bring all necearry documentation to court proving that you were insured on the relevant date.
    When the case was called up the Garda outlined the case to the judge and he also told him that it appeared that my friend had insurance on the date in question and he had just forgotton to produce.
    The judge told him to be more careful in future and dismissed the case.

Personally I wouldn't waste any money on a solicitor, I'd just go to court and tell the truth.
    It was a simple mistake and the fact that you had insurace should prove this.
    Try to talk to the Garda beforehand though, they'll probably be sound enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Absolutely agree.

Don't even wait for the day in Court. Ring the station, ask for the guard who caused the summons to be issued, explain the story and arrange to meet him at the court with the insurance cert. You've nothing to worry about.

(There is another offence of failing to produce your cert but it would be all but unique if they charged you with this - presuming you haven't actually been finding the guard up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boomerang144

Thanks for your help. I really wasnt sure whether I needed a solicitor or not. I had rang a few places and they were quoting me €350 to take it on and I thought this was a bit excessive considering it was an honest mistake.
    I did try and get in touch with the guard when I got the summons. He was based in a station not in the area where I lived and couldnt seem to get hold of him. I wrote a letter to him at that time including a copy of the insurance cert etc and admitting that it was an oversight on my part not to bring it to the garda station and apologising but got no response.
    You have put my mind at ease now

Boomerang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Excuse the pedantry, but please DO NOT forget to turn up in court ! You would be amazed at how some people can actually forget to do this.

Some people think that if you have been in negotiaion with the garda that there is no need to show up !!

Advertisement