Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need Vrt advice-help!!

Options
  • 11-01-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi
    Have brought Audi A6 over from England. Have not registered it yet. Rang local VRT office with car details and VIN no. of car. Seemingly for Audi's, Mercedes and BMW they send off VIN no to Audi to get list of extras and charge accordingly.Didn't want to make 2 visits to office. I nearly dropped when my local VRT office came back with a price 3500 euros more than that quoted on website. Said it was because of all extras in car. There are a lot of extras but things like leather, sat-nav would be standard in the s-line for the year I bought. I did not tell them the car was in country! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I try one of the other offices and see what happens? Working out at 16k vrt as opposed to 12.5k vrt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I dont think you'll have much choice but to pay it, I was in similiar situation last year, no matter where you go they will have record of the VIN and presume they use some form (however crude) of crm system so its prob logged. They got my details of the phone and were 'expecting' me when i arrive in to pay the VRT. If you push them on it then will give you then option of taking the car back out of the country but then you'll havce the hassle of selling it back in uk.

I'm almost 100% sure that the policy is to check all high performance/prestige brands in rosslare so unless you know someone..;) who can avoid this..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

If you look up revenue website for same model and year they value a basic 2006 Audi A6 2.0 TDI at 36.5k. They value an Audi A6 2.0 TDI SE at 38.5k and they value an A6 2.0 TDI s-line (the one I have) at 42k. I Should only be paying 12.5k VRT according to revenue website. Now they are looking for 16k VRT which means they are putting an open market value of 53.5k on my car. This seems ridiculous and surely the extras like leather,alloys,sat nav have been factored into the difference between basic model and s-line model (5.5k). Should I try a couple of different offices or should I pay the VRT go through their appeals procedure? Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

The price will vary very slightly through offices around the country, but by very very little. I know a lot of people will disagree with this on boards, but I don't think they understand unless they are placed in the same situation...

Not great advice here, but drive the car for as long as you can before dutying it in. On the car registration cert, you will see a date of purchase?. If this hasn't been filled in by the UK dealer then you are laughing...if you get stopped by customs just tell them you brought the car through 2-3 days ago and fill in the date of sale etc to match around the time you were stopped?.

I agree its not exactly acceptable to do that, but at the end of the day I saved €900 by keeping the car for 6 months on UK plates. Am pretty sure there will be boardsies saying "oh I hate people like you" etc etc.

They literally make those figures up off the top of their heads and are completely unfair towards people who decide to drive BM's, Audis and Mercs.

Its a risk, but try and hang onto it for as long as you can on uk plates or if possible park it up for 4-6 months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget we get poverty spec cars over here so all the normal bits on UK cars are extras here. There is a thread from a couple of days ago explaining all this if you use search.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Bought Car From Brother Who Lives In Uk. He Just Sent Section Off To Swansea Stating That Car Had Been Permantly Exported. Nothing On Rest Of Documents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement