Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for you Dublin city folk :)

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Myself and my girlfriend have to make a trip to the US Embassy in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 on Monday morning. We are travelling from Limerick.

Does anyone know how long it would take to get from Heuston Station out to Ballsbrige at around 9 am on a Monday morning? It's easy to judge the distance on MaqQuest, but that isn't accounting for traffic. if we're late, we'll be told go home :rolleyes:

It's looking like we may have to stay over on Sunday night!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

how are you travelling? Taxi? should take about 20 mins if they can use the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

what time is your cut off point for getting there?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Her interview is at 10 a.m and she was told to be there no earlier than 09:45 and no later than 09:55 am.

We have the options of 2 trains, one arrives at 0800 and the other at 0905. If we can get the later one we will, but it's looking like the earlier one is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

It is doable in 20 mins , but can often take up to 40.
    If you do need to stay overnight these hotels are 2 mins walk from the embassy and only cost about €85 per room per night http://www.d4hotels.com/

Ps these hotels were formerly Jurys and Berkeley Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

09.05 train is cutting it far too fine if you need to be at Embassy 40 minutes later and happen to run into any unforeseen delays on the train or in traffic. Get the early train, take a taxi across, and it'll get you there in lots of time. You can grab a coffee and read the paper just across the bridge in Insomnia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said, lots of places to have a bite to eat nearby, and Dublin traffic at that time can be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

The 9.05 train is cutting it way too fine. Plus you know that the one time you need to get somewhere in a hurry there'll be some major accident which will block everything up.

There's plenty of places around the embassy to get coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I would make a weekend of it to be honest. Try Millers on Baggot st. for cheap wine and pizza the night before, lots of places to stay around there (the Mesbil is pretty cheap, so is Jurys). All you need is one poxy car crash and your bunched.

Here is Millers number if you want it.... 01 6606022.

The Waterloo is a nice pub beside it. Good luck with the meeeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

the bewleys hotel in ballsbridge have rooms for €99 per night. Breakfast isn't included but its a good deal.

If you are coming up on the train on Monday morning def get the one that arrives at 8am just to give you some spare time for unforeseen delays

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

hello there , my advice get the earlier train.
    without being too nosy , are you goin for an interview for a green card?
    p.m me if you like:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice.

After much debate, we booked into Jurys Inn Customs House and stayed over on the Sunday night. The taxi to the Embassy took only 10-15 mins and cost a tenner, so can't complain! Back home in Limerick by dinner time :)

nyc-dublin, my girlfriend is Polish so she needs a Visa to travel to the US (we're going for about 2 weeks to Orlando and New York).

Fingers crossed she gets it!

Advertisement