Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queue Etiquette.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

In a situation like this, one should always;

- March up to the top of the queue
    - Proceed to bang your fist on the counter and shout in a farmer voice "I DEMAND SERVICE!"*

*Applicable regardless of whether your the only one in the shop/restaurant

This is always the best way to handle shop assistants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQaEE3ICL6U

Seriously though - why not walk to the top of the queue and say 'hi are you queuing?' - if they are still faffing about they will say - 'no fire away' or they will decide what they want a bit quicker. Being direct isnt rude - I dont think you were rude but I would have asked them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Yeah that's annoying, she's the one in the wrong. In general though, queues need more barrier things and signs saying 'queue this way'. 3 minutes before closing in Dunnes today, I went back on till to get rid of the 2 people standing there facing the tills, not queuing in any order. Said 'next please', man nearest put trousers on counter, woman further down started screaming at him, then roared 'well it's her fault anyway', I explained that it wasn't because I wasn't there to see the 'queue' form, more ranting and raving at me, telling me I have the height of bad manners, girl next to me served her, asked her if she wanted a bag as we only had big ones left for the socks she bought, woman screamed of course she ****ing does, she's not going to walk out with socks in her hand. Blah blah blah, point of rant, queues need to be more controlled.

I hope you told her to watch her language? Or you at least walked away from her? She has no right to shout at you or curse at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm not actually sure what we're allowed to do under store policy. It's usually best to serve them and get rid of them, refusing to serve..longer rant more shouting basically. I told her it wasn't my fault, that's about it. Wanted to strangle her. Don't think I'm allowed tell her to shut up or lose the attitude? Hmm. Worst ones for rants are menopausal women and rich women laden down with Brown Thomas bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

janeybabe wrote: »
    and tried to return the 300 euro worth of things she had bought half an hour earlier in the day because I had told her (nicely) that the queue was going the other way. Her argument was that she had spent so much earlier so why should I tell her to queue.

this kind of attitude sickens me, over self importance is a shocking thing in Ireland these days.

I remember being in a petrol station years ago buying a newspaper. Long enuf q. A man walks in, picks up a paper saunters up to the front of the q, talks to the lad behind the counter for a minute, is given a few items from behind the counter and walked out without paying. I always wonder was he a gangland figure as it was exactly like something out of goodfellas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

He could have been the owner, another member of staff, someone from a business with an account.

I'm surprised 'ol biddies' haven't come up yet. The mad old bats that push their way to the front in every newsagent known to man. And they usually get served as it's not worth the staffs time arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OP, you did nothing wrong in this case and the staff member was acting like a cow.
    One thing I HATE about queues in this country, lets say there is one queue with about 5 people in it, suddenly a new til opens up and the cashier calls for Next and some chancer a few places back (usually at the very end) just jumps over to that til. They were not next!! Also the cashier should nicely inform them of that but sure I suppose they couldn't be bothered, not in their job description!

Advertisement