Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New XP for dell comps

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I ordered a new xp operating system off ebay. It says on the packet that the operating system is for loading onto dell computers only. What is the difference between this xp (dell only) and any other xp operating system? Can i not put this o.p on my new build cause it is not a dell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

The Dell OS CD's work grand with any Dell computers (only thing I've noticed is a small Dell folder in the C:\ drive). It doesn't ask for any serial number...

If you use it on a different computer (not a Dell) it will ask for a serial number (haven't a clue what).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

yeah i believe i have all the serial numbers and things i need to get it running on my new comp. Its not a dell computer as i built it with all sorts of bits and bobs but since i have all the serial keys it should work yeah?

If anyone knows of any other significant differences please let me know as i can always return this xp version and maybe buy an un-branded one. (but they cost 50quid more on ebay).

No I mean I have never found a valid serial to work for me when I tried my old XP Home disc on my brothers computer - only ever worked on my Dell. Even when I used the serial number on my laptop on the brothers, it didn't work. You may run into a few problems here.

arse. It said when i was buying it that it would work on any pc/laptop home built computer etc I wont find out now for another few days whether it will work or not. Or can i maybe install it on another system? How many times can i install an os on different pc's anyway? or do you have to use differents serials and keys for each time?

As long as its the same CD and serial, then as many times as you want. They're valid and you'll pass the WGA Tool when you use Windows Updates. Let us know how you get on. I'll try again with my CD tonight, I have a XP Pro Dell CD too and if either work, I'll send you a copy.

• Advertisement

hopefully mine will work. I still have to wait for a few more parts to come in before i get to load windows onto it. I will let you know how things turn out though. Thanks for the help=)

Advertisement