Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pot Holes and Wrecked Tires

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My girlfriend hit a pothole last night on the way home on the N2 which resulted in a puncture. Took the tire to local tire place today and there's a cut in the side wall of the tire so it's buggered which means she has to fork out €90 for a new one, they're low profile tires by the way.

So i went up to where the hole in question was to find that the council has filled it in, there already was a pothole there which the council filled in months ago but it's opened again which is how my girlfriend got her puncture. Also when she showed me where the hole was just after it there was another car pulled in so i assume he got a puncture from the same hole too.

What i want to know is can i claim off the council for a new tire even though i've no proof of the hole, couldn't take pictures last night cos it was dark and if i can claim off them how do i go about it. I still have the tire as proof and where it's cut could only be caused by a pothole because it is just under the rim so in other words it wasn't someone slashing tires.

Any comment/help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

You can claim for this, I have a claim going in for two tyres from last year due to bad edging on a road, which nearly caused me to lose control of the car. Take pictures and ring the COCO. They should have someone that looks after this kind of thing.

You need pictures BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

You can claim for this, I have a claim going in for two tyres from last year due to bad edging on a road, which nearly caused me to lose control of the car. Take pictures and ring the COCO. They should have someone that looks after this kind of thing.

You need pictures BTW

Yes have pictures but the hole has already been filled in so according to the pics i have there's no hole there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Even still you should be able to mark out with some chalk, where the old pot hole was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You can only claim if the damage was caused by bad workmanship,ie.if there was roadworks,pipeworks and the surface was not restored to its previous state.Potholes caused by water that seeps beneath the surface through cracks ,you will not receive any money for this.
    And without a pic of the pothole and measurements you will not get anywhere.How do i know this?My dad recently retired from the county council,43 years service.

Best thing to do,go take pics of where the pothole was filled in,bring a measuring tape and lay it beside it or something u can compare it to.As,the pothole was filled in,it was probably brought to their attention by a member of the public,find out how long it was like that,etc etc
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Zorba wrote: »
    Yes have pictures but the hole has already been filled in so according to the pics i have there's no hole there !

If they've filled in the hole already your knackered

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your replies, personally i think it was bad workmanship but dunno if the council will agree. Rang them and they said to write into them and they'll send out a claims form. Problem with the hole is it's on the main N2 road and taking a picture is hard enough without a measuring tape. Will go up again and see if i can get another few pics, doesn't help that the hole was filled in though.

craichoe wrote: »
    If they've filled in the hole already your knackered

Super......is it even worth writing the letter and wasting a stamp then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Unfortunatly so .. why do you think it was fixed so quickly.

craichoe wrote: »
    Unfortunatly so .. why do you think it was fixed so quickly.

BASTARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 claremoya

i once got a puncture on the way to work on morning and 11 yes 11 cars were pulled in with punctures...when i seen the cars pulled in i thought there was an accident and then bang the whole left side of the car went down into a crater that was full of water hence no one could see it...a disgrace in this day and age when we are forking out huge money on motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have had two allloys damaged by pot holes this year. One on the M50, and the other on, what I think is the N1, outside the Coachmans Inn, but on the other side of the road. The cost to replace each alloy is €840 and the tyres are €220 per tyre.

I also damaged a front tyre in the Phoenix park. Only going about 15 kmph, after coming round a round about. It was dark and raining and I didn't see the pot hole in the middle of the road. That was just a tyre replacement, I think €200 because the front tyres are a different size.

After I damaged the alloy beside the Coachmans Inn I contacted Fingal County Council, but they asked me to put a report together and I sent it in. That was about six months ago. Haven't heard anything back. This thread just reminded me to get onto them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I always imagine that it was Kerry Council Council that didn't have a clue on how to repair a road - I was obviously mistaken. Does it never occcur to them that the shovel full of tarmac is going to be washed out in the next downpour? I don't know whether they still drive the council trucks backwards and forwards over the "repair" like an imitation steam-roller...............madness!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I always imagine that it was Kerry Council Council that didn't have a clue on how to repair a road - I was obviously mistaken. Does it never occcur to them that the shovel full of tarmac is going to be washed out in the next downpour? I don't know whether they still drive the council trucks backwards and forwards over the "repair" like an imitation steam-roller...............madness!

U have to remember it's all about fixing the thing the cheapest and quickest way possible, doesn't matter how long it lasts !

Advertisement