Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 way sli... Is it something that we need?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Let me hear your opinions about this...
    I got a 780sli board to review-test and of course i will bench with it.But only that... I dont think is a combination for 24/7 computing or something that you will have in your lanparty pc.
    However i am thinking all the marketing stickers about energy saving and environment friendly products the latest hardware card boxes have on them and the only thing that is coming to my mind is to laugh....
    11012008_001_331.jpg

If moderators think that this thread should move in another category, do it please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well it depends, lets wait and see how well tri-sli works in the next gen of nvidia cards. Currently its a waste of money, anyone spending 3 times the money now on soon to be old tech needs a head exam.

The whole SLI architecture has to be re-examined, its just not efficient enough at the moment to warrent double the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

OK I am gonna think outside the box for a minute.

If I buy say 1 SSD drive I am given its performance and I accept that it will do just so.
    If I buy 2 SSD's its guaranteed that I can improve 100% the sustained read.

The same applies to dual processors,double ram,and twin girls:D You are guaranteed to get twice or trice as much bang for your buck.

SLI according to the benchmarking is not delivering equally on all platforms or in all games.This I think is its ultimate failure.
    It seems like the marketing aspect of Nvidia has gotton the better of many people(myself included) when in fact we are not gaining 100% by buying 2 or even 3 cards.

Please coorect me if I'm wrong because I usually do not like to comment on issues I have not much experience or knowledge on but from what Ive been reading and my own common sense tells me that if I buy 2 items then I want twice the performance.Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

for the amount of power 3 of these cards will consume the benefits are minimal. I'd rather see highly efficient SLI mobos, than these tacked together tri-SLI boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No, its for 3dmark scores only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you can afford it go for it. Would be nice to see what it can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Well it gives you room for a sound card mine is gathering dust.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I couldn't sacrifice my X-Fi for 3 Graphics cards... nowai!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Imagine all the people who are going to get 3 9800GX2's lol :rolleyes:

Well over €1500

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Check out quad crossfire in this thread with a pair of 3870x2's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

sounds great if it works properly :)

Though 1 of the reasons why sli or crossfire do not work well all of the time, is probably down to game developers aswell, not just nvidia/ati

As always SLI or crossfire has always been for the people that can afford it and want the best game performace they can on the pc at the moment and for benchmarkers.. thats it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement