Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickr sigs too big?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starting threads in feedback make me nervous!

Anyway, i read a thread in Photography and the some of the users over there may have been warned about their flickr sigs being too big and are a little worried. I told them to contact the powers that be for clarification.

One of the mods there pointed out that my gamercard sig was technically too big too. :eek:

I must admit, im mostly average joe computer literate so i havent a clue how to work out how many bytes or bits make up a big sig.

Just wondering if it would be worthwhile updating the sig thread in newbies with sample pictures of the more common signatures that are and are not acceptable? Its a fairly big thread at this stage so I wonder if an overhaul with help?

Just a suggestion! :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Biko took it upon himself to PM the user about his sig.
    Who died and made him a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oriel, centred sigs are against the rules :)

Biko is grand, infact his policing has seen alot of crazy sigs removed. For all the work he (and the others in SIGPO) do its a case of 1 in a hundred deserving a bit more leeway - such as flickr sigs etc.

FWIW Biko would be a great mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For people unsure how to know the dimensions/filesize of their sig just right-click it and click on properties and it will tell you.
    I think popular stuff like userbars, gamer tags or flickr link pics aren't really policed just as much because they're for the most part not user created and users have no control over their size.
    Once it's not some strobing thing that takes up half the page and takes 30 seconds to load, it's not really a problem but some of SIGPO do get a wee bit anal on some things IMO...but that's their right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Admins have stated that some leeway will be given once someone is not acting the tit.

That applies to other aspects of our community rules too.

Biko does an excellent job, and if anyone feels he is a little overzealous in relation to their sig, then a polite post on the sigpo thread is the way to appeal.

In relation to the OP, I have a bigger problem with high sigs than with wide ones, tbh. The flickr sigs to me, are fine. The answer here is that the sig rules require some further review down the line, and some images in the original sig rule post by Cloud back in the day, in order to copperfasten this, might not be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

6th wrote: »
    FWIW Biko would be a great mod.

Better then you?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The user that Biko contacted just had a FlickR sig. A bit OTT really, considering a large number of people who post in the Photography section have FlickR sigs.

Again, it's one of these sigs that the end user has no control over, and is very popular (especially with FlickR users and photographers)

Also ... centred sigs are banned? That seems a bit harsh really. Is someone just left aligned and against all other alignments? Politics perhaps?? :confused:

jsb wrote: »
    Better then you?:D

Well he seems to be as interested in the general Boards community as me but isn't as excitable or prone to being stroppy as me so .... yes, Biko would be a better mod than me.

Paulw wrote: »
    The user that Biko contacted just had a FlickR sig. A bit OTT really, considering a large number of people who post in the Photography section have FlickR sigs.

Getting caught breaking the sig rules is just unlucky. Biko just deals with them as he comes across them (and he's not exactly a Photography forum regular) - its not like he's going through the members list 1 by 1.

I'm not a flickr user, but in terms of their widgets it seems that they are user created, from what I can tell.
    Perhaps someone could make a widget for boards users that falls within rules and upload the template to flickr?
    I've looked around their website but it doesn't make it obvious how this might be done...but I'm not a member so can't log in.
    Or am I incorrect in thinking that you can use a choice from a collection of user generated widgets?

It's "user created" as in - you can select what sort of images go in to it, and you can decide if it's horizontal, vertical etc. But the actual image generated is fairly much the same size, from what I can see. It's done by bighugelabs.com

• Advertisement

Ah, I wasn't reading the search results correctly (screengrabs of people's desktop widgets :rolleyes:).
    So there is only one template available and only in the offending proportions?
    That's different...can't really expect to have content created just to suit another website then...

Wertz wrote: »
    So there is only one template available and only in the offending proportions?
    That's different...can't really expect to have content created just to suit another website then...

Unfortunate but true. Only one template available, and you don't have much control.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well he seems to be as interested in the general Boards community as me but isn't as excitable or prone to being stroppy as me so .... yes, Biko would be a better mod than me.
    LOL ... in fairness, 6th, respect for that bit of honest self-awareness! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

faceman wrote: »
    Anyway, i read a thread in Photography and the some of the users over there may have been warned about their flickr sigs being too big and are a little worried. I told them to contact the powers that be for clarification.

One of the mods there pointed out that my gamercard sig was technically too big too. :eek:
    The flickr (and, by extension, similar) sigs were granted an exemption as they didn't stray too far above the limits.
    I must admit, im mostly average joe computer literate so i havent a clue how to work out how many bytes or bits make up a big sig.
    Just right click any image and view its properties.
    Just wondering if it would be worthwhile updating the sig thread in newbies with sample pictures of the more common signatures that are and are not acceptable? Its a fairly big thread at this stage so I wonder if an overhaul with help?
    The admins are waiting for the new version of vBulliten to arrive before changing the sig rules, as it offers in-built options for limiting sigs.

Cheers cast_iron for telling me my sig doesn't abide by the rules, even though the whole topic of this discussion is same. :eek:

Very nice of you.

Getting caught breaking the sig rules is just unlucky. Biko just deals with them as he comes across them (and he's not exactly a Photography forum regular) - its not like he's going through the members list 1 by 1.
    LOL ... in fairness, 6th, respect for that bit of honest self-awareness! :)

Oh sorry i forgot to say, this is the new 6th with twice the funneh and only half the saturated knob-endishness.

For full details of the funneh please visit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055213652

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i love the way 6th self quotes! :D

Oh sorry i forgot to say, this is the new 6th with twice the funneh and only half the saturated knob-endishness.
    Ah, there's nothing wrong with saturating your knob-end when you get the chance ... >_>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ah, there's nothing wrong with saturating your knob-end when you get the chance ... >_>

polyunsaturate or monosaturate?

When it comes to my knob-end, I prefer "poly" to "mono" any time ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

What about trans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Why did somebody delete my post?
    Too close to the bone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oriel wrote: »
    Too close to the bone?

What did the post say?

/pulls up a chair

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oriel wrote: »
    Too close to the bone?

you've only made this port http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54840960&postcount=2

You appear to have a problem with any kind of authority :)

I've noticed that too.

Advertisement