Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Point - Notify Insurance Company?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

I've finally joined the penalty point club. I was a bold boy at a junction by Mahon Point in Cork trying my best to beat traffic, and I deserved my single (and only) point.

So do I notify the insurance company now, or is it only of concern when I'm getting renewal quotes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You don't have to tell them now, they won't really care anyway. Make sure you do tell companies when you're going for renewal quotes though.

Apparently most companies aren't bothered until about six points, and not even then if they're just for speeding, so it shouldn't affect renewal quotes, but not disclosing it then could enable them to weasel out of paying a claim if they wanted to so don't leave that option open.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check your policy. Hibernian require you to notify them when you get points, otherwise you're liable for a €2k excess if you get into a crash.

They can't withdraw cover if you don't disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd tell them. It doesn't make any difference and you are supposed to inform them of any material facts. Failure to notify points is a material fact and could be used to weasle out of paying a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Read the small print of your policy. I was talking to a mate who runs a bodyshop last week. He had a 911 in which needed £16K sterling worth of work done. The owner had recently received 3 points on his licence for speeding and did not notify them. They initially refused to pay out but eventually agreed after a few weeks. You would not want to be in that position even if it did work out OK in the end.

Advertisement