Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod / Salmon prices?

• 11-01-2008 4:21pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed a few fillets of the above over Christmas /New Year. But it is pricey stuff. Today, in the local butchers, Cod was 24 euro and salmon 19 euro kilo. Have to go to the Coal pier in Dunlaoighre soon to check out their prices. They reputedly sell for alot cheaper.
    Anyone know where to get the fish above at a good price?
    (Sea Bass at 35 /kilo)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah I picked up my copy of Call of Duty for €60 in GAME over Christmas..

ahem sorry, I stick to the local butcher too for salmon and cod. Although from reading you prices, you seem to be getting a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Planet X wrote: »
    Enjoyed a few fillets of the above over Christmas /New Year. But it is pricey stuff. Today, in the local butchers, Cod was 24 euro and salmon 19 euro kilo. Have to go to the Coal pier in Dunlaoighre soon to check out their prices. They reputedly sell for alot cheaper.
    (Sea Bass at 35 /kilo)

Farmed seabass at €35 per kg? jebus someone is getting conned!
    Try out in Howth at one of the fish shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Planet X wrote: »
    (Sea Bass at 35 /kilo)

:eek: I was always wondering what people were talking about when they were giving out about the price of fish! I don't know how much I pay per kilo from my local fishmonger but it's nothing close to that. I pay less than €10 for 2 big cod fillets, lemon sole are only €2 for 3 and I get a big bag of mussells for around €5. Even dover sole (my fave) is reasonable by comparison to a couple of fillet steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Farmed seabass at €35 per kg? jebus someone is getting conned!
    Try out in Howth at one of the fish shops.

Dont diss farmed fish....its the future of fish we eat.
    Forget the terrible farmed salmon form the 80's, Properly farmed fish is indistinguishable from wild.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Dont diss farmed fish....its the future of fish we eat.
    Forget the terrible farmed salmon form the 80's, Properly farmed fish is indistinguishable from wild.

Farmed fish is the future how?
    Farmed fish is no way no how the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dunnes Stores this morning, fresh Cod fillets, 20/kilo. Four salmon steaks
    for 8 euro. Now we're talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Paid €14/kilo for sea bass (farmed) in the English Market in Cork today. Farmed salmon was about €18/kilo.

I'm not very keen on farmed fish, it seems to be a very environmentally damaging product, but I do like my fish and wild fish is getting harder to buy, and also has its environmental problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Irish Farmed Salmon The Facts

This document is designed to give an insight into Irish farmed salmon, to put the Irish industry in an international context, to provide information about the process of farming salmon in Ireland and to highlight the nutritional and general health benefits of farmed salmon consumption.

http://www.bim.ie/uploads/reports/Salmon%20the%20facts%20BIM%20Report%20October%202005.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

cozmilk, I edited your post to make the link clickable, in case you're wondering :).

Farmed fish is the future how?
    Farmed fish is no way no how the future.

Why isnt it the future?
    Got a better idea?
    All the food you eat is farmed....why not fish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't know how much I pay per kilo from my local fishmonger but it's nothing close to that. I pay less than €10 for 2 big cod fillets, lemon sole are only €2 for 3 and I get a big bag of mussells for around €5. Even dover sole (my fave) is reasonable by comparison to a couple of fillet steaks.

Those prices per kilo sounded normal to me. Where is your fishmonger? check the price per kilo next time. You could well be being charged over the odds! as you only mention "big bags" and figures with no idea of weights.

I am always surprised that chippers sell white fish so cheaply, seems cheaper than in supermarkets.
    Coal pier in Dunlaoighre
    Where/what is this?

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Why isnt it the future?
    Got a better idea?
    All the food you eat is farmed....why not fish?
    Farming fish is not an efficient use of fish.
    Example: Salmon is fed with pellets made of fishmeal, oil and soya plus other additives to make the flesh turn an orange colour.
    The fish used to make the pellets is usually either small fish from Europe, Denmark, Iceland,or South america.
    These fish have to be caught by a large Industrial fishing vessel, landed processed into fishmeal and then shipped to wherever the feed companies are making the pellets, mixed with the antibiotics, colourants, ash, fibre, soya etc etc and then finally shipped back to the place where they will be fed to the salmon.
    The thing is that most of the species used in the fishmeal industry are also keystone species for other fish and animals to feed on, so if you take away the food source for other species they have nothing to feed on and consequently decline.
    The decline in fishstocks has been attributed to the emergence of large scale industrial fishing in the North sea for Sandeels, Norway pout and the North atlantic for Blue whiting and Capelin.
    The same problems are occuring in South america with peruvian Anchoveta being heavily fished to provide fishmeal for the south american salmon industry.
    And then you have the problems in Mauritania where the local fishermen are being literally killed off by EU pelagic trawlers fishing for Sardinella.
    Oh and one more thing the biggest of the fishing vessels down there was an Irish vessel "Atlantic dawn" at 144 metres in length.

So do you still think farmed fish is the future?
    I don't.

Farming fish is not an efficient use of fish.
    Example: Salmon is fed with pellets made of fishmeal, oil and soya plus other additives to make the flesh turn an orange colour.
    The fish used to make the pellets is usually either small fish from Europe, Denmark, Iceland,or South america.
    These fish have to be caught by a large Industrial fishing vessel, landed processed into fishmeal and then shipped to wherever the feed companies are making the pellets, mixed with the antibiotics, colourants, ash, fibre, soya etc etc and then finally shipped back to the place where they will be fed to the salmon.
    The thing is that most of the species used in the fishmeal industry are also keystone species for other fish and animals to feed on, so if you take away the food source for other species they have nothing to feed on and consequently decline.
    The decline in fishstocks has been attributed to the emergence of large scale industrial fishing in the North sea for Sandeels, Norway pout and the North atlantic for Blue whiting and Capelin.
    The same problems are occuring in South america with peruvian Anchoveta being heavily fished to provide fishmeal for the south american salmon industry.
    And then you have the problems in Mauritania where the local fishermen are being literally killed off by EU pelagic trawlers fishing for Sardinella.
    Oh and one more thing the biggest of the fishing vessels down there was an Irish vessel "Atlantic dawn" at 144 metres in length.

So do you still think farmed fish is the future?
    I don't.

In fairness i did say fish that was farmed properly, not this rubish you mention above.
    I dont know what website you got all those facts from but its a very negative view towords fish farming.
    Just to give you an example of what can be done, i got some Arctic Charr from a company in Cloonacool Co.Sligo who have recently started to farm it, and they do it properly.http://www.cloonacoolarcticcharr.ie
    Have a look at the website if your interested in this kind of thing, i think they should be commended.
    I think this is the future.

Sorry if it appears negative but those are facts, and I did not get them from any website, they are straight off the top of my head.
    I didn't even cover things like feed conversion ratios etc.

Advertisement