Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts in Dublin?

• 11-01-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm sick of paying €30 per kilo (!) for brand nuts in the likes of Dunnes etc. Lidl or aldi would have some mixed nuts and dried fruit for good prices but it's intermittently stocked and some of the things in it I don't like.
    Basically just wondering if anyone knows where one can bulk buy almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts etc. in Dublin (city centre preferably) for a decent price?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've also looked around for cheaper nuts around Dublin (especiall pine nuts). I never found any. Even in the cash and carry they were very expensive (although obviously cheaper then most places). The best solution I've found is to make my own mixed nuts. If you go to the baking aisle in tesco, where you get flour/sultanas etc they have small bags of nuts for baking. (tesco own brand). These are much cheaper then bags of nuts from the whole food aisle. I mixed a few types together in a jar to nibble on or brought the small bags to work. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them but this is the only solution I found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

@watna

here is an interesting article on pine nuts

http://www.pinenut.com/noha.htm
    Supply dependent market. World pine nut production is so small that demand for pine nuts is significantly greater than the available supply. Even in a good crop year the total world production may only be around 20,000 tons of kernel (International Nut Council). As both regional and world production fluctuates widely from year to year (good harvest from natural stands occurring at most every other year), the world market is often completely out of stock for months before the new harvest. This has two major implications: high prices and price inelasticity.

OP almonds are cheaper to buy in bulk from the The Asian Market in Drury Street and check out holland and barrett they have good reductions on nuts from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

cozmik wrote: »
    @watna

here is an interesting article on pine nuts

http://www.pinenut.com/noha.htm

OP almonds are cheaper to buy in bulk from the The Asian Market in Drury Street and check out holland and barrett they have good reductions on nuts from time to time.

Interesting! so setting up a pine nut farm (I presume they come from pine trees) is the way to go, only it'd take about 30 years before you'd grow enough trees to get nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

cozmik wrote: »
    almonds are cheaper to buy in bulk from the The Asian Market in Drury Street and check out holland and barrett they have good reductions on nuts from time to time.

+1

That's where I get my nuts (if you'll excuse the double entendre)

Laslo admitted to being a nut :confused:

I love walnuts and Lidl have great ziplock bags in the snack section:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Tesco cashews ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Laslo admitted to being a nut :confused:

You've never got your nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asian shops usually have raw cashews for €10 per kilo. YOu can sometimes get ready shelled pistachios for around 10-12 per kilo. Tesco own brand roasted cashews are around €8.40 per kilo. Tesco value regular roasted peanuts are really cheap I 39cent for 200g, 1.95 per kilo!. Tesco have nuts in about 6-7 sections in my one! so look around the shop as prices can vary a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

i buy my nuts at caterway in the fruit & vegetable market. good quality and price. oliver

Advertisement