Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adele

Options
  • 11-01-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the next big thing for 2008?

I suppose people will complain that she's too "Poppy" or just the next "Flavour of the Month" but there's no denying she has a fantastic voice and there's nothing wrong with a bit of good Pop now and then.

Only heard 3 songs from her forthcoming album which is out on the 28th of this month but I really like what I've heard so far.

I also really loved her guest appearance on the beautiful "My Yvonne" featured on Jack Penate's debut album Matinee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Chasing Pavements is a fantastic song,she did a gorgeous rendition on Johnathan Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Iano2K8

Yeah.. chasing pavements is brill... its gona do really well... anyone know anything about her...where she from>? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another of the myspace generation as far as I know. Read a bit about her in Q mag a few months ago. Not my cup of tea but no doubt she'll strike a chord with the Lily Allen/Kate Nash crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Another of the myspace generation as far as I know.
    Would that not include every new band of the last 5 or so years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Yeah liked what i've heard from her so far: ie "Chasing Pavements"- thought she sounded a bit like Amy Winehouse a bit as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

That song is getting serious play on Today FM, which consequently makes me hate it. I have no idea what she's singing about, and hearing it 4 times a day just winds me up. She does sound very very like Winehouse, which is probably why she's doing so well. She'll step nicely into Winehouse's proverbial shoes once the latter has killed herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone get her new album yet?

I loved her first album 19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I don't listen to the radio too much so I only heard Rolling in the Deep last week but I have to say it's very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The new album is really good. Didn't listen to the first album much but will go back and listen to it now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got it a few weeks ago there. It's very good. Shows some real growth from her last album. Only thing I don't like about it is the album version of "Someone Like You" isn't a patch on the live version. I saw her do it on Jools Holland before Christmas and had been listening to that for over a month before the album came out, and then the album version is a bit different. She does like a weird high pitched bit on the chorus and I don't like it. :D
    Other than that I think it's great.

Oh and I'm not looking forward to "Someone Like You" being the song that everyone destroys on the X Factor auditions this year.
    Another of the myspace generation as far as I know. Read a bit about her in Q mag a few months ago. Not my cup of tea but no doubt she'll strike a chord with the Lily Allen/Kate Nash crowd.

^ I know that was written a few years ago but I think this new album proves she's a lot more than that. Kate Nash's first album was very successful but her second album did nothing. Lily Allen I suppose is more successful but her sound didn't really change much between albums. I think Adele has shown she can change her sound and her style but still be unique to her and I think she'll be around for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I got it a few weeks ago there. It's very good. Shows some real growth from her last album. Only thing I don't like about it is the album version of "Someone Like You" isn't a patch on the live version. I saw her do it on Jools Holland before Christmas and had been listening to that for over a month before the album came out, and then the album version is a bit different. She does like a weird high pitched bit on the chorus and I don't like it. :D
    Other than that I think it's great.

I was thinking the exact same thing I had been listening to the version she did on Jools Holland, which was just gorgeous and was waiting for the album to come out so I could download the recorded version. Its very rare when a live version is far better than the recorded version. Her Brit awards performance of the song just shows how incredibally talented she is when all she needs is a piano and her voice to perform.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing I had been listening to the version she did on Jools Holland, which was just gorgeous and was waiting for the album to come out so I could download the recorded version. Its very rare when a live version is far better than the recorded version. Her Brit awards performance of the song just shows how incredibally talented she is when all she needs is a piano and her voice to perform.

I guess she can't hit the high note live or something so that's why she does it different, but it sounds so much better without it, I've no idea why they put it in at all for the recorded version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I guess she can't hit the high note live or something so that's why she does it different, but it sounds so much better without it, I've no idea why they put it in at all for the recorded version.

I doubt there's many notes she can't hit, it's a pitty she's a flaming moron tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Nightwish wrote: »
    That song is getting serious play on Today FM, which consequently makes me hate it. I have no idea what she's singing about, and hearing it 4 times a day just winds me up. She does sound very very like Winehouse, which is probably why she's doing so well. She'll step nicely into Winehouse's proverbial shoes once the latter has killed herself.

LOL you are pretty retarded when it comes to music. You claim to listen seriously to Today Fm and then in the same post you profess an opinion on good music. I would say you are very well listened! No wonder you closed your account, found out to be a spoofing idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LOL you are pretty retarded when it comes to music. You claim to listen seriously to Today Fm and then in the same post you profess an opinion on good music. I would say you are very well listened! No wonder you closed your account, found out to be a spoofing idiot.

That post is like, 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Apparently she is even bigger than Lady GaGa at the moment.

Hopefully she will overcome this fear of playing huge venues because stadiums will be demanding Adele a few months down the line.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently she is even bigger than Lady GaGa at the moment.
    She's bigger than most female pop stars at the moment! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wow this thread was a slow burner! :)
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Apparently the next big thing for 2008?

I suppose people will complain that she's too "Poppy" or just the next "Flavour of the Month" but there's no denying she has a fantastic voice and there's nothing wrong with a bit of good Pop now and then.

Only heard 3 songs from her forthcoming album which is out on the 28th of this month but I really like what I've heard so far.

I also really loved her guest appearance on the beautiful "My Yvonne" featured on Jack Penate's debut album Matinee.

Well turns out the prediction was spot on! She has really stormed the charts and earned a good name as a talented artist!
    Nightwish wrote: »
    She'll step nicely into Winehouse's proverbial shoes once the latter has killed herself.
    Another prediction that came true...

So, er, BaZmO*, pick 5 numbers between 1 and 50 and then 2 numbers between 1 and 9... Euromillions tonight, it's worth a shot :D

Ha. I should've been an A&R man. :)

Although the Winehouse prediction wasn't a difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Adele is the most boring artist I've ever, ever heard. Is she ever off the airwaves?

The new Britney track Criminal is like a breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Everyone listen to Kate Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

Best thing she's done is a Bob Dylan song. Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't see what's so great about Adele to be honest. She's got a good voice, no doubt, but so do a lot of people. She's not a great songwriter, in my opinion, and every song seems to sound the same - mushy ballads about finding and losing love. It's all so samey and boring. And all this is coming from a 21 year old. I don't any 21 year olds who go on the way she does.

As for the Winehouse comparison, she's not half the artist Winehouse was. Winehouse wrote better lyrics, had a much more expressive voice and was far more exciting.

Have to say, while I cannot deny the fact as no one else can that Adele is an exceptionnaly gifted singer I'm not particularly a huge fan of her songs.

Amy Winehouse was a lot better that's for sure. There probably isn't much of a difference between the two vocally but what I liked about Amy was that her songs were all different. Adele, while a good songwriter can't write songs about the same thing over and over again. Anything I've heard by her is about heartbreak or losing love. People ultimately will get bored of it.

But I will certainly try more of Adele's songs if she writes songs about different things in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Likewise, I'm a bit indifferent to her. I know some of the lyrics coz of the constant airplay but she's certainly not as grating on the ears as tripe such as Rihanna and Beyonce.
    I'm happy she's making a successful career for herself, she has a great voice.

Noel Gallagher claims Adele won't last long.

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/889451-noel-gallagher-praises-margaret-thatcher-and-claims-adele-wont-last

Its interesting because Duffy was on the same level vocally as Adele and she crashed and burned.

I recently heard Rumour Has It, was kinda pleased with it seen as how its a change from the typical love song after love song method she's applied for the first two albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She cleaned up at the Grammys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm indifferent to her but every time that "Someone Like You" song comes on I want to run to the hills - its so screechy and wailing, its like fingernails on the blackboard! Rolling In The Deep was good for about 2 days but then it just got boring.

Its the predictable nature of the music industry though: "Quick! What's the latest thing? Adele? Give her all the awards! Sign as many similar acts as you can! Quick, before the money runs out and people start listening to something else!!". Its the same with The Brit Awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

She cleaned up at the Grammys

Hardly means anything. Bon Iver won Best New Artist for f*ck's sake - they've been around as long, if not longer, than Adele. The Grammys are a joke. They awarded Best Album to Arcade Fire last year, and the reaction was terrible. People saying that they shouldn't have been given the award because "no one knows who they are". Sums it up really - popularity over quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Advertisement