Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African Nations Cup

Options
  • 11-01-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Ghana 4/1
    Ivory Coast 4/1
    Cameroon 6/1
    Nigeria 7-1
    Senegal 12-1
    Egypt 14-1
    Mali 20/1
    Morocco 20-1
    Tunisia 18-1
    South Africa 20-1
    Guinea 28-1
    Angola 50-1
    Zambia 100-1
    Sudan 200-1
    Benin 200-1
    Namibia 200-1

Ghana are the hosts and favourites and they have an easy enough group with Guinea, Morocco and Namibia but they haven't got the greatest squad in the world with the exceptions being Essien (Chelsea) and Muntari (Portsmouth). Their main striker appears to be Junior Agogo who plays for Nottingham Forest.

Ivory Coast have Drogba, Kalou, Zokora, Toure, Eboue, who are all big premiership names, but they have a tough enough group with Mali and Nigeria and they have changed their manager in the last week (bit of an unusual move if you ask me).

I think I'm going to plump for Nigeria at 7/1, I'm swayed by their performances in the recent African Nations Cups (2000 - Second place, 2002 - Third place, 2004 - Third place, 2006 - Third place) and the fact that they are now coached by Bertie Vogts, a very good coach in my opinion, they are also helped by the presence of the likes of Obafemi Martins, Kanu, Yobo, Yakubu, Obi Mikel and by the fact that as far as I can see they will not play the Ivory Coast again until the final (assuming they both get out of the group). What does put me of them though is that they are due to play Ghana in the Quarter Finals if Ghana win the group and Nigeria finish second behind the Ivory Coast (who appear to have Group B between them on all known form). Although if they win the group they won't play Ghana or the Ivory Coast until the final, but then Cameroon enter the equation and Nigeria have a very poor record against them. It really looks like anyone's competition though and I suppose being the host nation will probably prove a decisive advantage, I think I'll go for Nigeria nonetheless. More details on www.cafonline.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think tunisia are the ones to watch, I dont think they will win but they have a pretty strong side... Sengal are there only real opposition in the group stage - They will more than likely play Ghana in the quaters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

african nations can be totally up in the air,.and usually is.

i'll be buying the big odds teams and selling them off on the exchange.
    nobody stands out as being really great value.

Ghana will not be far off their current price when they get a few games in, unless other "favourite" teams look like being eliminated.

If nigeria, Ivory coast , Cameroon, egypt get thru, Ghana will still be 4.4 on the exchanges.

Ill be taking a large slice of Angola if i can get massive odds towards the start of next week.

Why Angola ?

1. hoping to get 100/1 or more, a very tradable price before the kick-off.
    2. Dont believe that they are that bad a side, after all they qualified for the tournament, qualified for the 2006 world cup,conceeding only 2 goals before being KO'd.
    3. They got a blend of players from the African league , and continental european sides . They have been going with the same band of players for years now, and most are at an age where they should be peaking in their carreers.
    4. not a bad group , with first game against South Africa, then Senegal , And Tunisia.

angola.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Any more thoughts on this or am I the only one interested in African football?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Any more thoughts on this or am I the only one interested in African football?

Most people are interested in making money, and wont be betting until the fun starts! (20th of Jan)

never managed to get angola in the end,...... right down to 70 on B/Fair.:(

senegal @ 17.5 is fantastic, also egypt was the second pick for me 19.5.

good lay-off potential come match-day.

im going to try and lay Ghana cheaply,..... 4.3 or so.

• Advertisement

Tunisia is the one to back @ 29 or 30.

anybody back the egyptians ? or senegal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I cant really see myself betting against Ghana because of the good records host nations have had in this tournament recently but I think that the Ivory Coasts team is the best in it by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I'm on Ghana at 9/2. Celtic Bookmakers giving that price.

Will be laying off after the group stage all going to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Benazir Bhutto

Any Layer's on the betfair market ?
    theres a killing to be made over the last hour or so......
    see you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Senegal 12-1 worth a bet.. I might throw a tenner on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

On Ghana to win their group @ 5/6 with Boyles. It was a stand out price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Ghana are letting me down big time here

What a GOAL!!! Was just about to slate ghana there but they have cme threw. Some of there play up to now was brutal tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

m.j.w wrote: »
    What a GOAL!!! Was just about to slate ghana there but they have cme threw. Some of there play up to now was brutal tho.

i thought that was a really good game. Guinea were apparently dark horses to cause an upset in this group for fair play to Ghana for getting it done in the end. Should have been out of sight before guinea scored though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A few bbc pundits were bigging up Mali as possible surprises.

Nigeria at 11/5 tonight are overpriced in my opinion. Notwithstanding that I'm also going to back them "draw no bet" at 6/5 with Powers. I just can't see them failing to score and if they score then they're in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

I think this is a dodgy market. There will be more than a few surprises in store. Cameroon losing last night would've taking a lot of people by surprise.

I had Sudan v Zambia to be under 2.5 goals. 0-3 Scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

just a bit off topic but what tv channel is covering this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Eurosport have all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

BBC 3 do highlights and round up's of the day's action every night at around half 10 or eleven i think.

• Advertisement

BBC 1 AND 2 are showing all the matchs if you press the red button and go interactive. Ive watched them all on that so far. The tennis comes up first but if you press blue you can change it to football.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Does any one know if Man United's new signing Manucho Goncalves has played for Angola in the cup yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

Played last night against South Africa. Think he scored too. Didn't see the game though so can't comment on what he's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Quick dbbl, Ghana+Morocco 11/10. Shud do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

63587614 wrote: »
    Quick dbbl, Ghana+Morocco 11/10. Shud do the job.

I'm not having a go @ u but I'm curious as to why u would bother making it a double. If you fancy Morocco @ 10/11 surely it would be more adviseable to do a single and rule out the chance of a shock draw etc in the other game.

Have gone with Guinea +1 @ 5/6. Medium stakes, just to have an interest as i will catch most of the game.

Just took Morocco at 4/1. Profit now regardless of result.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Benazir Bhutto

Ghana were shocking ?..... i lumped a bit on them @ 4.5/4.6 , but despite the win i think they'll hit a higher price by the morning.

South Africa are decent odds @ 44 ..... dont ye think ?
    Senegal too ,.... in or around 17 now, but reckon it'll drop somewhat before they play !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Lumped on Ivory coast tomorrow vs benin -1.
    Benin are minnows, Ivory coast are the best attacking team in the tournament
    4-6 on PP was too good to pass up.

• Advertisement

I have bet the absolute farm on Nigeria at 11/10 with Bet 365, and when I say 'farm' I mean the chickens, the cows, the barn, the lot. They will surely win this won't they?

Advertisement