Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 0 to Ballycotton 10 in 2 months (i hope !)

Options
  • 11-01-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Ok so here is the plan. Entered in the Ballycotton 10 for March 9th. Havent done much of anything for 6 months, so i will say im starting from a very low base. I got a training plan from :

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htm

As i only have 8 weeks to the race i will start at week 3 and hope for the best. Let you all know how it goes !

Wish me luck !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hiya im far from an expert but that seems very do-able to me ,id imagine if ya stick to it ya shouldnt have a problem. no idea of your background are you or were you a runner who has just lapsed and is getting back into training or a complete novice not that it matters just wondering either way best of luck with it. doing it myself and looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If you have any fitness base you should be fine, Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Well i used to be fairly fit, but havent done anything for the last 9 months or so.

Week 1 is down (stared at week 3 on the chart as only 8 weeks to go) :

Day 1 - Ran 1.55 miles (forgot to time) + free weights
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Ran 3 miles (37:00)
    Day 4 - Hungover !
    Day 5 - Ran 2.6 miles (23.18)
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Ran 3 miles (22.30)
    Day 8 (today) - Ran 2 miles (14.44) + free weights

Will try to stick to the plan from here on - so rest tomorrow, and 4 miles to run Saturday !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I know I'll get stick for this here, but I would think the best way to reach your Ballycotton goal would be to on the nights when you run and do free weights, use the time to do extra running instead of the weights. Having done nothing for 9 months, 10miles is quite a long way to run continuously, you're bound to be talking at least an hour, maybe closer to 90mins/2hours? So you just need 'time on feet' more than anything else, gardually increasing the amount you do every week, ease up in the last week.
    Good luck.

I suppose there are any many opinions on this, but for now i think ill stick the plan in the first post - it gives me some structure which i tend to need. My concern with running extra milage early on would be shin splints due to my long time off - i have had this happen in the past.

Incidentally, i do have a goal for Ballycotton - not too scientific, but 1 hour 20 minutes would represtent a good time for me.

The only other race ive ever ran was 10k in 2005, in 43:55. I didnt train much for it, so i could get back to that pace with some proper training.

• Advertisement

dbl post..

Going to change from Day numbers to dates.. easier to track.

Fri 18th - Rest
    Sat 19th - 3 mile outdoor (tough going - lashing, and a big hill !)
    Sun 20th - Hungover after Munster game (got wet there too!)
    Mon 21st - Nothing ! (got to take it easier on Saturday nights!)
    Tues 22nd - 2 mile (TM) - 13:30 + Free weights (arms and shoulders)
    Wed 23rd - Nothing (sore after weights on Tues)
    Thurs 24th - 2 miles (13:55) - stiching badly during run. Free weights..

So this week was pretty light on milage. Next week it goes up a fair bit so will see how that goes.

Today is suppose to be free day, but ill run again to make up for my sins at the weekend.

Fri 25th - 2M (12:55) + weights
    Sat 28th - Away
    Sun 27th - Away
    Mon 28th - 3M (22:24)
    Tues 29th - 1M (7:30) + Weights (upper body)
    Wed 30th - Eliptical machine (15 min, Level 15) + weights (legs)
    Thurs 31st - 3.3M (22:48)
    Fri 1st - Rest
    Sat 2nd - 6.3M (outside, hilly) (52:02)
    Sun 3rd - 40 min walking
    Mon 4th - 0.6M Run + Weights
    Tue 5th - 4M (27:17)
    Wed 6th - Rest
    Thur 7th - 3 miles (19:41)

Definitely feeling an improvement. Only training 30 minutes a day, and it seems to be working ok so far. Will get outside running as soon as the light picks up in the evenings.

Fri 25th - 2M (12:55) + weights
    Sat 28th - Away
    Sun 27th - Away
    Mon 28th - 3M (22:24)
    Tues 29th - 1M (7:30) + Weights (upper body)
    Wed 30th - Eliptical machine (15 min, Level 15) + weights (legs)
    Thurs 31st - 3.3M (22:48)
    Fri 1st - Rest
    Sat 2nd - 6.3M (outside, hilly) (52:02)
    Sun 3rd - 40 min walking
    Mon 4th - 0.6M Run + Weights
    Tue 5th - 4M (27:17)
    Wed 6th - Rest
    Thur 7th - 3 miles (19:41)

Definitely feeling an improvement. Only training 30 minutes a day, and it seems to be working ok so far. Will get outside running as soon as the light picks up in the evenings.

Well i have been keeping up the training despite been away on holidays etc... but just this Saturday on my last "long" run before next week disaster struck. After 2 miles of the run, feeling fine, got a sharp pain in my calf musscle... Had to stop. I am still not able to walk fully on it, and it now looks extremely unlikely Ballycotton 08 will happen for me.....

If i cant make it, i will enter in a later race this year, as im determined not to let 2 months hard work down the drain...

• Advertisement

ok. so definetly cant run this weekend - will have to take 2/3 weeks off to recover. anyone recommend any good work outs without using calf musscles..??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ICX

Hey damoz, not to worry chin up and focus on you next goal. I'm not a runner myself but I did the Ballycotton back in '03 with my brother. We started training just after christmas. I done it in 73 mins. I ran way too fast at the start and boy did I feel the incline at the end. Keep up the good work.

Advertisement