Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABP says no to Tesco

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

From http://www.irishconstruction.com/index.cfm/spKey/breaking_news/spId/689D2AA0-0971-9165-54AD47DE7619CD7D.html
    ====================================================

Politicians in Kilkenny have slammed a decision by An Bord Pleanala to refuse planning permission for a Tesco store in the county.

They believe the store would of created up to 200 jobs and would of boosted the local economy.

The decision means that Kilkenny will remain the only county in Ireland with a Tesco branch.

Kilkenny County Council has already approved of the rezoning of land and has granted planning permission for the store in the town of Callan close to the Tipperary border.

But, objections from the owners of Super-Valu and one local resident were submitted to An Bord Pleanala.

Chariman of Kilkenny County Council Tom Maher said he was disappointed and claimed the vast majority of people wanted the store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There's too many supermarkets in Kilkenny already I say fair play :)

Also the Supervalue in John's Green would basically die if it opened in the Mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They were talking about the super value in Callan, as that's where it was supposed to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Lump wrote: »
    Its out in Callan, theres hardly too many supermarkets out there. Also the creation of 200 hundred jobs would be a biggie out in Callan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

maybe but I prefer tesco's and drive to Carlow to shop at the one there. Would be nice to have one in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I for one would love to see the inclusion of a Tesco in Kilkenny.
    More jobs is definitely a positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Feck sake. What the hell is Kilkenny's problem with Tesco? If you want to go down the morality line, they're no worse than Dunnes or Lidl who are already here. And the likes of Super Valu and Centra belong to giant retailing bodies as well. Tesco carries far more lines of stuff than Dunnes and their own brand goods are great. People in Kilkenny don't know what they're missing.

Does the Bord Pleanala decision mean that Tesco definitely will never come to Callan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Co. Kilkenny has a shockingly poor supermarket selection. 35% of the grocery spend is spent OUTSIDE the county. that says it all. KK is perhaps unique in this.
    Hope this is not the last we hear on the matter and common sense will prevail. I would like an ALDIor two also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Plug wrote: »
    Its out in Callan, theres hardly too many supermarkets out there. Also the creation of 200 hundred jobs would be a biggie out in Callan.

It would be very good for the town.

This is becoming a joke, in the whole of Kilkenny there's not one Tesco's and there's atleast Three in Waterford, I know Dunne's holds the monopoly in the City but you'd think Tesco's could setup shop else where in the county atleast.

This is just getting bloody annoying :(

At the end of the day Supervalue are objecting because it'll affect there bottom line, the other objector appears to be the filling station at the top of the town, he's objecting most likely based on that Tesco's could in the future open a filling station and this would kill him if they did.

The Supervalue in Callan is a joke, very poor stock all year around and the people running it shouldn't be allowed talk to staff, more then once I've seen a manager shout at staff infront of customers in a degrading manner....next time I see him do it I'm having a word with him infront of customers :)

The Chariman of Kilkenny County Council Tom Maher is correct to say the majority want this store,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Callan? What a strange location. I know the place well, the local SV is no great shakes (unless its got a revamp since I was last there) but Callan in small country town with poor east-west roads.

So where would the trade come from? Kilkenny folks won't be arsed to dive 20 mins to a supermarket as they have 3/4 good ones with a few mins drive. No-one will drive up from Carrick or Clonmel direction. So would be look to cash in on passing trade? The N route is quite busy but I have difficulty seeing it being enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You'd be surprised the amount of people who would go from the city out to there. Just in the name of savings.

Surely you won't save that much if you factor in the petrol, and the 30-40 minute drive there and back. Time wasted is also valuable :)

John

Stephen wrote: »
    They were talking about the super value in Callan, as that's where it was supposed to be going.

Oh right, for some reason I thought it was going in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Surely you won't save that much if you factor in the petrol, and the 30-40 minute drive there and back. Time wasted is also valuable :)

Going by other Tescos I'm familiar with, parking would probably be free in Callan, unlike in the city for Dunnes. As for time driving, I suppose that would depend where you are starting from and what the traffic is like in the city centre versus the not so congested roads to Callan.

mike65 wrote: »
    Kilkenny folks won't be arsed to dive 20 mins to a supermarket as they have 3/4 good ones with a few mins drive.

Like I said earlier in the post I drive to the tesco in carlow to do my shopping and thats a good 30mins each way and I know a good few people who do as well or if not carlow they head down to waterford.

LIDL has free parking and is cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I live in Ashbourne, which has a SuperValu, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes.

I personally find Tesco the most expensive of the lot for my average weekly shop. Tesco do have some good special offers, but overall, I find SuperValu and Dunnes cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They're no worse than Dunnes and Superquinn. Their own brand stuff is much better than Dunnes and Superquinn and even their economy line isn't bad. They also have a wider range of food and sell lots of other things like flatscreen televisions, computers, DVDs, CDs, games, toys, sports equipment etc. Dunnes and Superquinn just don't have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

any interest in finding out why it was refused?

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    They're no worse than Dunnes and Superquinn. Their own brand stuff is much better than Dunnes and Superquinn and even their economy line isn't bad. They also have a wider range of food and sell lots of other things like flatscreen televisions, computers, DVDs, CDs, games, toys, sports equipment etc. Dunnes and Superquinn just don't have that.

Dunnes sell alot of that stuff now too, not that I'm defending them just I keep tripping over the massive tvs any time I have to go in there.

From the point of view of own brand products, esp the ready meals, Tescos are alot better at least for me as they do a huge veggie range that Dunnes just don't do.

In a perfect world I'd have an M&S open next door to me, they cost the most but their food is lovely.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I think the majority of the build was going to be given over to a distribution centre (about 2/3rds) with the remainder being the shop itself.
    Callan? What a strange location. I know the place well, the local SV is no great shakes (unless its got a revamp since I was last there) but Callan in small country town with poor east-west roads.

So where would the trade come from? Kilkenny folks won't be arsed to dive 20 mins to a supermarket as they have 3/4 good ones with a few mins drive. No-one will drive up from Carrick or Clonmel direction. So would be look to cash in on passing trade? The N route is quite busy but I have difficulty seeing it being enough.

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Callan covers a massive surrounding townland, Tesco's would do very well if they setup there.

What happens at the moment is everyone goes into Kilkenny, Waterford, Clonmel to do there shopping but if Tesco's was setup it would do a good trade as alot of these people would stop going elsewhere.

Callan is also turning into a big satalite town, alot of new housing estates (none council) and new industrial dev's have gone up in recent years mostly due to lower house costs then Kilkenny (your talking upto 80K+ difference for same size houses).

Supervalue has done got a refit during end of 2006 start of 2007 and its a big improvement now, hell you can now fit more then one person in a isle now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did think about its future potential as a commuter town. Tesco are big enough to play a long game.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 belleangele

Shop local, support local producers and if in doubt grow your own. Cheap food is only cheap because people or land are being exploited somewhere along the line.

"Tesco now controls 30% of the grocery market in the UK. In 2007, the supermarket chain announced over £2.5 billion in profits. Growing evidence indicates that Tesco's success is partly based on trading practices that are having serious consequences for suppliers, farmers and workers worldwide, local shops and the environment"

for more info see: http://www.tescopoly.org/

I did think about its future potential as a commuter town. Tesco are big enough to play a long game.

Mike.

They certainly are, while I don't think they'd cause Supervalue to close they would affect its business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Personally I don't like Tesco. I think it's the work of the devil... Keep tesco out of Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

personally I don't like Tesco either, but it's nice to have the option, and a bit of choice. I don't shop in Lidl, but am glad they're in kk purely because they offer something different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sorry for reviving a zombie thread, but have heard today that Tesco have got the go ahead. Overheard a conversation at work, one of the women here got a text from a friend (who must have something to do with it, as the woman here said she asked her friend "Am I allowed tell people?"). From what I heard, it's going to be out near the cattle mart, and whatever the problem was last time has been cleared up and all they have to do is resubmit their applicate and it will be approved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Well if this is true about time. It will save me having to drive to Clonmel every week to go to Tesco. And it will bring aload of jobs with it also. And before anyone goes on about all the shops that will close etc, they wont close if they are competitive in the first place and not ripping people off.

Advertisement