Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABP says no to Tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Brilliant, at least Teddy will be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Hello I for one would passionately oppose Tesco coming. I appreciate the choice arguement. However the jobs arguement is tosh. They will close so many places as to render the jobs arguement null and void.

If the go into the Mart site there will be traffic chaos and further endanger the retail life of the city centre. The city centre is still vibrant, not to the same extent as before due to economy, McDonagh Junction and retail parks. Lets not put the tin hat on it. In terms of traffic it would require the new road bypassing Greens bridge to be built. Would the building of that be at the cost of heritage?
    If they go into Callan the retail life will be sucked out of the town centre.

We have em in Thurles, Carlow, Clonmel, New Ross, Portlaoise and Waterford.

The politicians are pushing for it for jobs and the rates revenue it would bring into the councils coffers.

We have Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes x 2, Superquinn, Centra, and Eurospar. Bloody mary how many more do people want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Near the old or new cattlemart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

catbear wrote: »
    Near the old or new cattlemart?

The old one I think, where the circus does be when it's in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

holyhead wrote: »
    We have Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes x 2, Superquinn, Centra, and Eurospar. Bloody mary how many more do people want.

the more the merrier, and are you one of these 'not in my back garden types'?
    for one it will save on the amount of fuel that people use to go to the other tesco's ....
    kilkenny is too small to have 2 large dunnes! talk about a monopoly setup they used to have..

• Advertisement

Pegasus,
    Tesco have destroyed retail in places across the UK. A friend of mine had a small supermarket in a place in rural Ireland. He had to close recently because they locals were driving to Tesco. Tesco affects real people and costs real jobs. I wouldn't want Tesco in any back garden for the effect, mostly due to the damage that they have on retailers in smaller places. In England their is starting to be a backlash, albeit on a small scale, against them.
    Tesco buy on a scale that virtually no other retailer can. An earlier poster said that if your competitive you'll be grand. Tesco will slowly eliminate choice by shutting down the opposition save Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes and some convenience stores may survive.

I see your friends problem, he's in a rural location. Like it or not trends of the last twenty years are in reverse, the end of cheap oil means more bulk shopping and that's where the market's heading. Why should anyone continue to pay more just to satisfy one merchant, it reminds me of that shop in Crookstown that wanted the motorway opening postponed until after christmas just for him.

Rural Ireland will continue to die, there are little or no jobs there and the construction jobs that were there were unsustainable.

Two Dunnes does nothing for Kilkenny.

Catbear you are right. Two Dunnes in KK is nuts. M & S would have been a much more welcome addition. Not cheap granted but the food is class and something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

About time we finally get a Tesco in Kilkenny, I for one am delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Overheard a conversation at work, one of the women here got a text from a friend

If I tell this story I wonder will people believe me when i say "Oh, I heard it from a person on the internet who overheard a workmate hear it from a friend" ;):D

I'm looking forward to a Tesco nearby, but the traffic this will bring.... nightmare.....

• Advertisement

Paigne wrote: »

I'm looking forward to a Tesco nearby, but the traffic this will bring.... nightmare.....
    Initially yes, but quickly that traffic will be further dispersed between all the stores. I was really amazed by how busy Aldi was on the waterford road was for the first few weeks and then it just settled down. Lidl across the road wasn't as packed as it used to be but both businesses are humming along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Oh no :(

Holyhead is dead right.

Not that anyone gives a f*ck :mad:

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=176

The case made in that link could be applied to any large scale retailer. For years Pepsi said the greatest advertising saving they made on a yearly basis was not having to fight negitive press as everyone was campaigning against CokeCola leaving them to free to do essentially the same thing but with a different taste.

Some dogs like chasing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I agree with holyhead. The jobs arguement is complete cack. In fact it will probably COST jobs since, (for example), the veg dept. in a larger supermarket might have the same turnover as three local veg shops, yet only takes one manager to run, and revenue will further dissapear from local shops and suppliers towards high volume cheaper centralised distribution.

That's big business, caplitalism and globalisation for you. You can't cherry pick, you have to take the rough with the smooth; the same people who are becoming friends with Bobs Local Butchers on facebook are ordering their tesco shopping online.

Innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

But the big question is 'will there be free parking'?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anybody in the new Tesco in Portlaoise? It's absolutely MASSIVE. I was shocked at the sheer size of it to be honest. I think it was very poor planning myself and will absolutely suck the life out of all other smaller supermarkets in the town and county. Not something I would like to see in KK. Reckon it's bigger than all of Kieran St Dunnes put together. A normal size Tesco like the one in Carlow would be fine but I'd be very opposed to something like that. Personally I don't shop in Tesco I have to say though, prefer Superquinn and Aldi/Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Carlo has a Tescos, Supervalu, Superquinn, Dunnes and all the other smaller supermarkets mentioned and have done for quiet a while. I haven't seen an jobs loss due to a new shop openings, just job creation. So why not take a leaf from our neighbours and let Tescos open and create these much needed jobs in this current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I agree with holyhead. The jobs arguement is complete cack. In fact it will probably COST jobs since, (for example), the veg dept. in a larger supermarket might have the same turnover as three local veg shops, yet only takes one manager to run, and revenue will further dissapear from local shops and suppliers towards high volume cheaper centralised distribution.

since there is already 8 supermarkets not counting a eurospar....there is already this competition..
    what tescos bring, if they are indeed coming is further choice...that is all and a reduction in the massive hold that dunnes have over the town, which has been already reduced by the 4 aldi/lidl shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Indeed, but surely you must agree that diluting an already saturated market with a hugely efficient retailer does nothing for local jobs?

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Indeed, but surely you must agree that diluting an already saturated market with a hugely efficient retailer does nothing for local jobs?
    Someone might think you're saying that Kilkenny people are incapable of being efficient in their work. Tut, tut. Down with that efficiency stuff, bleeding outsiders with their competitive ways. Kilkenny inefficiency for Kilkenny people, protect your monopolists now! (I'm being sarcastic.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

I wonder will there be an entrance/exit on Barrack St? A roundabout will prob be put in on New Rd, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

this cant be about tesco coming to kilkenny city as the mart site belongs to some developer and tesco was only part of that development, unless they have sold the land to tesco, it sounds like it's the propsoed tesco in callan ABP turned down, that it may be given the green light if it was to try again,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Could it form part of that proposed 66acre business park at Cillín hill?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I was watching a program recently on RTE, they claim that for every 100 jobs tesco bring in the locality loses 150 across the board.

you will also lose oot on speciality shops who cant compete with the might of tesco and will close, thus reducing your choice in the long run,

pity really that people cant see the wolf in sheeps clothing.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

linny wrote: »
    this cant be about tesco coming to kilkenny city as the mart site belongs to some developer and tesco was only part of that development, unless they have sold the land to tesco, it sounds like it's the propsoed tesco in callan ABP turned down, that it may be given the green light if it was to try again,
    Could it form part of that proposed 66acre business park at Cillín hill?

Until I see it in writing on the Kilkenny Co Co website, it's all speculation, and we have nothing better to go on than "I overheard someone say that maybe etc etc". I'd also say Tesco may have missed their chance in Callan, now that it looks like Aldi will be going in there.

Shelflife wrote: »
    I was watching a program recently on RTE, they claim that for every 100 jobs tesco bring in the locality loses 150 across the board.

you will also lose oot on speciality shops who cant compete with the might of tesco and will close, thus reducing your choice in the long run,

pity really that people cant see the wolf in sheeps clothing.
    At this current time job losses are happening without Tesco on the scene. I know it's been mentioned before, possibly in the MDJ thread but as anchor tenant Dunnes may be in receipt of a low or no rent just to make it viable for them to stay there. Tesco don't want to be in there as parking is not free.

So there's the situation, if the only thing keeping Dunnes afloat is a subsidised unit funded by parking, then any rival competitor who offers free parking is going to shutter Dunnes in MDJ before you even start talking about prices across the product.

RTE is not a business, it's a subsidised service that competes against other businesses that will not get a bailout. If Pat Kenny wants to be paid market rates for his services then I'd like to see if he can command his current fee in the real world.

Protectionists = gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

pegasus1 wrote: »
    the more the merrier, and are you one of these 'not in my back garden types'?
    for one it will save on the amount of fuel that people use to go to the other tesco's ....
    kilkenny is too small to have 2 large dunnes! talk about a monopoly setup they used to have..

So Kilkenny is two small for two Dunnes, but too big not to have a Dunnes and teso...and a Superquinn...and two Aldis...two Lidls...a few Supervaues...a large Centra...and a partridge on a pear tree??

Right...
    toe_knee wrote: »
    Carlo has a Tescos, Supervalu, Superquinn, Dunnes and all the other smaller supermarkets mentioned and have done for quiet a while. I haven't seen an jobs loss due to a new shop openings, just job creation. So why not take a leaf from our neighbours and let Tescos open and create these much needed jobs in this current climate

Fergal Quinn is planning a programme on RTE whereby he helps a town to re-define and re-invigorate itself, and he asked for towns around the country to apply via the radio, and present their cases on air. The Carlow town manager was on, and one of the problems she highlighted was the fact that several large retailers on the edge of the town were, in essence, sucking the retail life out of the centre. The idea therefore, especially considering the relative merits of the two, of taking a leaf out of Carlow's book is absurd.
    catbear wrote: »
    Protectionists = gombeens.

People who can't think beyond the saccarine-like, short term benefits of such large retailers on town edges, and ignore the potentially huge negative realities = idiots.

I've nothing against Dunnes or Tescos or any supermarkets. I'm quite happy to use them myself. However, I am opposed to rampant retail development on the edge of towns, and the devestation of town centres, and the businesses that make them thrive, due to untrammelled expansion of supermarket chains. In America and the UK, the impact of this is evident with the collapse of traditional high streets, and it will happen here too if the masses allow themselves to be lead by the nose by retail execs and idiot politicians.

I appreciate your view Einhard, but Kilkenny town centre isn't competing with edge of town retail parks. What's killing the town centre is congestion and places like MDJ profit from a High street that's hard for buggies and elderly to use. Central Kilkenny offers more than Tesco or any retail park can but accessing it a real problem that is getting worse as the population ages.

If high streets want to improve footfall then lets see them offer a solution to increase footfall rather than retain motor congestion. We had a one system trial which they rejected before it could be adjusted for traffic flow. They're still saying business is down even though one way system was abandoned.

Another thing to consider is that Tesco need not bother with Kilkenny, there's a placard outside SV in Loughboy comparing their prices to Tesco. You'd imagine they'd advertise against their local rival Dunnes, but obviously they and Dunnes have prices stitched up between them. They're too expensive for Kilkenny if they have to compete with businesses thirty miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Rent is a massive incentive for large businesses to move outside town. Why would they pay exorbitant rent rates and conform to a shopping center car park fee for customers
    where they could just buy their own plot just outside the town/city and offer free parking, remain rent free and perhaps charge other businesses rent to park in beside them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement