Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car - HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

If anyone can give me aquick answer I'd be delighted!

I'm having awful trouble getting my car in the UK. Firstly, I am due to pick it up next week, but it is next to impossible to get the car taxed before collection. (The dealer won't release it until it's taxed). To tax it they need an orignal indurance certificate. They have their own brand insurance which gives you 7 days free insurance with no obligation to conitune, but they can't cover me on an Irish address. My own insurance company will cover me but won't issue a certificate until the car is on an irish reg! So, it looks as though I will need to use my friends address and register the car to myself there. (tax and registration address must be the same)

Problem two (and the big one) - After I purchase the car I won't get a V5C from the UK for a few weeks. The revenue website says I can't register the car in Ireland until I have the V5C. In fact it say you shouldn't even bring the car into the UK until you have the document. If I bring it in anyway and have to wait a few weeks to register it, I can't drive it cos my insurance will only cover me on a UK reg for 7 days. It wouldn't even be insured in my driveway!

So, what are my options? Do you actually need the V5C to register the vehicle?

Please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Think I just found the answer to my own question!

Am I right in saying that I will actually walk away with the V5C when I buy the car? It'll just have the previous owners details on it? And then that will be enough to register and pay VRT here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Not sure on the exact name of the form but the transfer of ownership (blue if memory serves) has a section you should be given & a section sent to UK vehicle reg office to list vehicle for permanent export.

Insurance is one I've not come across before, your insurance should insure you & provide written confirmation based on the UK reg of the vehicle...I would think that that should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When buying the car make sure to get the whole V5 not just the change of ownership section. As for getting car from garage can you not tell them you are exporting and won't need UK tax? If they won't release car and you haven't paid a deposit walk away, unless it's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Del2005 wrote: »
    When buying the car make sure to get the whole V5 not just the change of ownership section. As for getting car from garage can you not tell them you are exporting and won't need UK tax? If they won't release car and you haven't paid a deposit walk away, unless it's rare.

It is still an offence to drive an UK registered car without tax on an UKL road.

Having said that I did it. Was stopped by the cops for a different reason, and they didn't make an issue of the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is a small section of the V5 that the seller will keep and send off. If you get the rest then you've got enough.

Are you footing the bill for UK road tax? If you're stopped by the police show them your ferry ticket.

Who is the dealer so that I can avoid them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

After what feels like 12 days of phonecalls I think the problem has been solved.

In fairness to the dealer, they have been incredibly helpful. It is their 'code of practice' that was creating the problems. They are not legally allowed to knowingly release a car without tax. I accept that would be the case and I respect the fact that they will not bend their rules to suit whoever it is that wants to give them money. If I said I was not buying the car because of it they would have let me walk away. Probably more reputable than most!!

They explained that the way this normally works is that the Post Office retains the V5C when the car is taxed with me as the new owner. It is then sent to the DVLA by the post office and I am them re-issued with a new V5C by Swansea. In this case, they have checked with the Post Office and requested that the dealershhip retains the V5C after taxing the car to allow me to export and re-register the car.

For a private sale I would walk away with the V5C and the tear of strip would be sent to the DVLA with the new owner details. Apparently, because this is a dealership, a change of ownership already occured when the previous owner traded the vehicle in (Albeit change of ownership to motor dealer) so the post office version of events is how it is normally done.

My AA vehicle inspection was completed today and the engineer told me that the dealership did everything they could to help him including giving him his own workshop complete with lift and tools to carry out the check. A dodgy seller surely wouldn't do that! The guy found not one single thing wrong in the end!

Anyhoo, is the old V5C with the previous owners info on it all I need to register the car in Ireland??

Advertisement