Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there actual signature mods on here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Willstev wrote: »
    Surely would it not be more feasible to implement some sort of notice where you upload your sig. There is nothing there to say what size its meant to be at all, how are people meant to know this?
    Ehhh... cos it says "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).", maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Where does it state this when uploading your sig?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It states this in the place that you upload your sig.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

In the bit with the writing and such.

• Advertisement

Ah yes Aidan I think this where the confusion lies.

There should also be something stating it here:

85068633wl3.th.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats where it is. :/

You see the scrolbar over to the right? Try dragging it down and whola..

In that case then , there should be some stating the size.

95433287cr6.th.jpg

95433287cr6.th.jpg

It does. On the page we linked and on the page we gave a screenshot to you. The same bloody page you gave a screenshot to saying it should be on it. There IS something there STATING the sizes of the damn sigs!

Hmm, that's strange, it appears for me but not for registered users :/

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Hmm, that's strange, it appears for me but not for registered users :/

I think he doesn't understand us.. they are there from what I can gather. He just doesn't realise he has to scroll down :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In the bit with the writing and such.

95433287cr6.th.jpg

DIdi you check out aidan_walsh's link? It tells you size and has all the info you need

Iv checked with a friend who isnt a mod. I think the "Upload a signature pic" is a section only available to mods (and I assume, subscribers). This section is where it has the sig rules.

Maybe the poster is listening afterall.

Sully wrote: »
    Iv checked with a friend who isnt a mod. I think the "Upload a signature pic" is a section only available to mods (and I assume, subscribers). This section is where it has the sig rules.

Maybe the poster is listening afterall.
    Correct!

Gordon wrote: »
    Correct!

and in that case, there should be a link / info on the rules. Its not in the easiest place to find as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sully wrote: »
    It does. On the page we linked and on the page we gave a screenshot to you. The same bloody page you gave a screenshot to saying it should be on it. There IS something there STATING the sizes of the damn sigs!

I've looked at looked at the page where you edit your sig, and I can still see nothing stating size or rules.

sig.jpg

Paulw wrote: »
    I've looked at looked at the page where you edit your sig, and I can still see nothing stating size or rules.

<snip>

We just figured that out, re-read page 3. :)

Yes Sully I was listening :)

Yes Sully I was listening :)

I was wondering what you were on about, but it all makes sense now! Must get that addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

well my main point was just that it was signed Boards.ie SIGPO

are people appointed SIGPO, or can anyone say that they are

because by that token I could PM someone and say

"hi I have noticed a few of your post lately are offensive to some members. Please stop posting innapropriate subjects. Thanks, boards.ie Appropriate Posting Team"

My main point is - can anyone say they are boards.ie SIGPO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

"hi I have noticed a few of your post lately are offensive to some members. Please stop posting innapropriate subjects. Thanks, boards.ie Appropriate Posting Team"

If a post offends, report it.

The SigPo guys are providing a service voluntarily and as they haven't been pulled up on this by an Admin, it has to be assumed that their services are appreciated. Not everybody knows the signature rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone willing to take it upon themselves to get abuse from people that like big flashing AW sigs.
    That said most users I PM aren't aware of the rules and just change their sig to something smaller. I maybe report 1 out of 20 users in the sigpo thread.

Being a sigpo is giving something back to the community, a bit like helping out. SMods don't have the time to PM all users they see that break the rules so that why sigpo was set up.

As Raphael says "As is traditional for Internet bulletin boards, boards.ie provides the facility to users of adding a short signature after each of their posts. Like most facilitys however, this is periodically abused. And so rules were created to control these signatures.

Please make sure that your signature DOES NOT contain profanity, bigotry, racism, or any other content that might be considered offensive by others. These rules however, are not a perfect solution, as some feel the need to break them. And that is where the SIGPO come in
    "

Raphael actually broke the rules himself once and had his sig removed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

My one is a good idea too, but noone really got into it.

Plus, its more of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The official position on sigs is "Don't act the tosser". I think the Sigpo work to this as well. Instead of scanning every sig and making sure it complies, when one catches their eye which blatantly upsets the flow of threads, they PM the user. It works, the guys seem to give a fair chunk of their time for this and it keeps the place tidy.

There are three reasons why my head hurts when someone else links to another forum (usually American):

1. 100x100 avatars, usually flashing or dancing and often NSFW
    2. Signatures containing needlessly large animations of dancing cats, or a listing of their last 100 Halo battles. No-one gives a ****.
    3. Every second post saying, "LOL" or "Burn" or "WTF".

Mods and non-mods alike do a fair amount of work keeping boards free of this ****, which ultimately makes it readable and usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

biko wrote: »
    Raphael actually broke the rules himself once and had his sig removed :D
    Yeah, that was funny. =D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I copied the message verbatim for the PM from the first page of this thread (editing the URL tags, as instructed).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

seamus wrote: »
    The official position on sigs is "Don't act the tosser". I think the Sigpo work to this as well. Instead of scanning every sig and making sure it complies, when one catches their eye which blatantly upsets the flow of threads, they PM the user. It works, the guys seem to give a fair chunk of their time for this and it keeps the place tidy.

There are three reasons why my head hurts when someone else links to another forum (usually American):

1. 100x100 avatars, usually flashing or dancing and often NSFW
    2. Signatures containing needlessly large animations of dancing cats, or a listing of their last 100 Halo battles. No-one gives a ****.
    3. Every second post saying, "LOL" or "Burn" or "WTF".

Mods and non-mods alike do a fair amount of work keeping boards free of this ****, which ultimately makes it readable and usable.
    Seamus, I've recently noticed a disturbing trend of you making sense. I trust you will correct this forthwith.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My apologies, correction impending.

ur-noze-i-haz-it.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I remember getting a PM about my picture being 2px over the limit.

I lol'd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Hey guys. Just wondering. Why is there a limit on sig size when picture postings can be generally any size (within reason of course!). In any case, is there no way to lock the upper limit on the editing options so people can't go over the limit to begin with. I mean if it were possible it would save work for mods and make sigpo redundent (not that they aren't appreciated;)).

Yes I got my first reporting (and without warning!!!!). Thanks for that Zaph :D:p.

Advertisement