Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler problem questions!

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Just had my boiler serviced (mynute 28e) There is a terrible knocking when the boiler is turned on in the morning.

The engineer says that the heat exchange is the problem and that you could 1st try flushing the system out before changing

SO my question is

Is it worth gettting the heating system flushed out 1st and what would be a ball park cost (5 bed house)

The hear exchange is going to cost 300- 400 euros

Is it common for a boiler that is 3 1/2 years old to have this problem?

Should I also consider biting the bullet and going for a condensing efficient boiler if its going to cost so much to fix.??

any comments appreciated

Garyh3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Gary ,there are different reasons for noise happening in the boiler.

A common problem with vokeras happens when the boiler is installed in a hard water area. And the heating system is not treated properly with the right chemicals.http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/

If I was you ,I'd clean the heating system out first . Do this by getting a gas installer to inject the heating system with cleaner.
    Sometimes this can actually help improve the boiler .If your not happy with it after a week or so ,then get the exchanger changed.

No matter what you do ,whenever you get any major work done . Always insist on inhibitor being introduced when everything is done.

For some reason ,Vokera boilers seem to be installed in hard water areas (outside Dublin). I personally think this is part of the reason why ,vokera boilers get a bit of a bad reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

My boiler is also a mynute 28 e and it's only 4 years old.The heat exchanger was replaced in April 2007 and started to act up again in OctoberI got the system flushed with a product called furex.It was left in the system for 1 week and then another neutaliser was flushed through the system.Finally inhibitor was inserted into the system, but in the meantime I also got a water softner installed when runs through the whole system. Must say the knocking was unbelievable but I do live in a very hard water area.

My advise is to get the system flushed as described.My plumber only charged me €60 but he's a friend of mine also!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

apprciated guys for the comments

Was going to get the system cleaned out before I purchase an exchange

So my next question is do does anyone know a good plumber in the Meath area who can do this job .......

Also can the heating system be run with the cleaner in the system ???

Or if there are plumbers on Boards give me a PM

regards

Garyh3

Anyone!

Have you tried ringing vokera ,maybe they can recommend someone for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Big Lar

garyh3 wrote: »
    apprciated guys for the comments

Was going to get the system cleaned out before I purchase an exchange

So my next question is do does anyone know a good plumber in the Meath area who can do this job .......

Also can the heating system be run with the cleaner in the system ???

Or if there are plumbers on Boards give me a PM

regards

Garyh3

Why dont you go into the local hardware shop and ask the to recommend someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lida

hi,
    just had my boiler fixed in ratoath. Advertised the job on nixerfixer. Job done, working fine...cheap too. €60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

just had my boiler fixed in ratoath. Advertised the job on nixerfixer. Job done, working fine...cheap too. €60

It's easy being in goals when it's your football;) Go in to bathroom mirror and thank those fine folks!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lida

Sorry, it was a cheap plug for the site but actually true nontheless...that was the reason for setting it up...for oddjobs on the cheap in this rip off country! But apologies if it was cheap and cheesy of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

No bother and best of luck with the endeavour!

Last week I charged 3 hours for troubleshooting an intermittent flickering light circuit problem. The loop neutral was twisted together by hand without a mechanical connection on the porch light which had been fitted, by clients admission, on the "cheap" 5 years ago. The bulkhead fitting was already melting at the back.

Getting your boiler repaired on the "cheap", without the technician having a mandate to keep working on a time and materials rate to ensure that everything is left safe and functional is, in my opinion, very risky.

• Advertisement

ok got a local plumber to do it for 130 euros. Which is good for me cos he has shown me how to do it in future, so well worth the money.:)

So the Sentinal is in at the moment and the boiler has stopped banging

He's back at the w/e to flush and put the inhibitor in.....

Thanks all for the advice (I think it has saved me a heat exchange!)

Garyh3

garyh3 wrote: »
    ok got a local plumber to do it for 130 euros. Which is good for me cos he has shown me how to do it in future, so well worth the money.:)

So the Sentinal is in at the moment and the boiler has stopped banging

He's back at the w/e to flush and put the inhibitor in.....

Thanks all for the advice (I think it has saved me a heat exchange!)

Garyh3

Excellent news :) ,you should probably think about cleaning it every couple of years. You get more heat from your radiators aswell;)

Advertisement